• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Social Labeling of Open Carriers

Makarov

It amazing how a some concealed licensed people feel about open carriers. Today the labeling comes out from a coworker. I'm a freak and a police hater. According to him I terrorize people and children by open carring my gun. That I should conceal it because its safer. Wow it goes on. Share your labeling

countryclubjoe

LE like to call people exercising there rights as ' Soverign Citizens" and cop killers etc.

I could only imagine how LE would threat an OC citizen in a police and anti 2A state like NJ.?

TIA

CCJ

Fallschirjmäger

Things can and do change.

In the early period of our history, openly carrying arms was the sign of an honest man, only criminals and riverboat gamblers saw a need for hidden weapons. Today, 'guns frightenz da chillenz' is the operative mode.

Last year a half dozen well-armed police officers responded to a report of an armed man walking peacefully in a public park.
This year, over twenty people gathered in the same park on the same day for a picnic. Despite nearly a hundred men, women and children nearby the police department had no response.

Things change, or can be Made to change.

Fallschirjmäger

LE like to call people exercising there rights as ' Soverign Citizens" and cop killers etc.

I could only imagine how LE would threat an OC citizen in a police and anti 2A state like NJ.?
Here's how "sovereign citizen" plays out in Georgia....

Sgt Chapel, Gwinnett County Police Department, "Why are you walking around the park with a gun exposed? Not that you can’t.
CAP, "W-whoa wait. There’s a difference of opinion, he says I can’t, you say I can.
Chapel, "Well, let me ask you something. You obviously know the laws right?
CAP, "Yeah…. Maybe.
Chapel, "Then why would y- Maybe? You don’t know the laws?
CAP, "Maybe
Chapel, "You do or don’t?
CAP, "Maybe
Chapel, "What kind of ques- what kind of answer is that?
CAP, "That’s a, uh, five-letter answer that says ‘maybe.’
Chapel, "Are you a sovereign citizen?
CAP, "A who?? No, I’m Chris.
Chapel, "Do you live around here?
CAP, "I live in the state of Georgia.
Chapel, "…state of Georgia…okay.
...(a minute passes)
CAP, "Guys, we’ll all walk away from this in about ten minutes.
Chapel, "Why are you pushing it?
CAP, "I’m not, I’m trying to leave so I can finish my walk, and lose some of this ton of weight I’ve got.
Chapel, "You’re not going to identify where you live? What if you died right now? What if you passed out, what would you want us to do for you?
CAP, "Ummm.. kick me to the curb?

joanie

Today the labeling comes out from a coworker. I'm a freak and a police hater. According to him I terrorize people and children by open carring my gun. That I should conceal it because its safer. Wow it goes on. Share your labeling

I get pretty much the same. Coworkers in the past when i was working, those on the eBay discussion boards, family, friends who think I should stay under the police radar and not rock the boat, my neighbor who told me to my face gun owners need to be arrested and have their guns taken and destroyed. And police themselves who say I have a gun when I don't.

Meet Your Strawman- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME7K6P7hlko

Sometimes I wish my parrents had never registered me.

MKEgal

Fallschirmjäger said:
Last year a half dozen well-armed police officers responded to a report of an armed man walking peacefully in a public park.
This year, over twenty people gathered in the same park on the same day for a picnic. Despite nearly a hundred men, women and children nearby the police department had no response.
As has been said elsewhere, maybe it's simply because there were many people there that the police stayed away.
One person? Easy pickings.

joanie said:
think I should stay under the police radar and not rock the boat, my neighbor who told me to my face gun owners need to be arrested and have their guns taken and destroyed.
"Don't rock the boat"... only place that "rocking the boat" has not produced nearly instant improvements in how LACs are treated is CA,
and I strongly suspect that the legislative shenanigans in CA will come back to bite them via court rulings telling them how completely wrong-headed and illegal their actions were, and suspending those unconstitutional laws, and fining the state (sort of like the huge legal fee check Chitcago had to write for its latest loss).

As for your bigoted neighbor, I'd love to see his reaction if you posted one of those "he's against guns, so his house is gun-free" signs. And he should just try calling police to report someone doing something legal. If I were the dispatcher or officer, I'd ticket him for wasting time & making a false report.

sraacke

On a popular louisiana gun discussion forum I've been called "wannabe" and even a "holster sniffer" but the gun guys there. Some of our worst enemys are other gun owners. For instance, Rob Pincus and Ted Nugent and thier attacks on OCers.

Last edited:

joanie

On a popular louisiana gun discussion forum I've been called "wannabe" and even a "holster sniffer" but the gun guys there. Some of our worst enemys are other gun owners. For instance, Rob Pincus and Ted Nugent and thier attacks on OCers.

Ted Nugent?, really? I gotta look into this. I thought he was the coolest for the way he handled that bumbling idiot Piers Morgan both times. Never would have guessed he'd be against open carry.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
CCers say they carry to protect themselves and their families/loved ones. That will be taken at face value and as a true statement.

But they get all bent out of shape when seeing an OCer doing the same thing, but in a way that announces it to the world from the git-go.

And there, IMHO, is the point. CCers are upsert that oCers are upstaging them in the "I've got a gun to protect me and mine" game.

Well, either that or I am not the only one with a purdy gun, while they feel the need to hide their tupperware and fanboi guns.

stay safe.

ETA - Not sure everybody will know what a purdy gun is. Go to http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Breakfast-Saturday-April-6th&highlight=purdy to see some purdy guns. That's mine on the top,

Last edited:

RCall

It amazing how a some concealed licensed people feel about open carriers. Today the labeling comes out from a coworker. I'm a freak and a police hater. According to him I terrorize people and children by open carring my gun. That I should conceal it because its safer. Wow it goes on. Share your labeling

I've had the "he wants attention" label and I've also been told I must have a small reproductive organ.This is in addition to the "cop hater" tag. I've really learned to deal with ignorant and biased folks, especially more recently.

joanie

Uncle Ted said, "Open carry is for weirdos." This remark is in relation to the tactical advantage that he and some others believe exist with a concealed handgun. While I don't dispute the advantage, I prefer deterrence rather than "Oh, boy! I get to shoot somebody!"

Thats fine, and he is enittled to his opinion. If he wants to say OCers are weirdos, fine, but if he says open carry should be outlawed, thats another thing all together. I agree with you on the deterrence factor, but my main reason is to preserve personal freedom to do such things. If nobody open carrys, those will assume it's ok to pass laws against it.

Speaking of laws against it, my sister was over today and said I am sure to be arrested, I asked her "what for?" and she said "brandishing" Naturally, I brought up the 2ed amendment and the bill of rights. She didn't seem to want to hear it. She is one of those who believes if you don't have a badge, you shouldn't have a gun. She is a prison gaurd and has a badge, so I guess it's ok for her.

I wouldn't have one of those badges if you paid me several million dollars a year. But I am gonna have a gun, and personal freedom.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Uncle Ted said, "Open carry is for weirdos."

That's fine. Ted himself is a "weirdo". Not to mention he's a partisan, polarizing asshat who can't debate his way out of a paper bag (only someone as moronic and clueless as Piers Morgan could make him look good).

Ted ain't on our side, or the side of gun owners. He's on the side of pandering to his fanbase (other moronic, "I've got mine so FU", CC-only gun owners), and selling himself.

In short, he's a male *****. How's that for social labeling? :lol:

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Today I was at Home Depot with a friend looking at a display. Some guy who I did not know walked up to me acting as though he knew me and started to say something. As I turned to hear what he was saying he abruptly said he wanted to look at the display, but immediately turned on his heals and walked away.

No more than a minute later the loss prevention (LP) employee approached me and asked what the guy wanted. I recited the above. I know half the employees as well as the loss prevention guy.

LP informed me that this guy just shoplifted items and not leaving the store returned them without a receipt being issued a HP debit card. The shoplifters then sell the card for half price.

That appeared as to what this guy was trying to do.

A 1/2 hour later we were leaving and I ran into LP employee and asked if he caught the guy. He said yes.

We determined that when I turned to hear what the guy was saying he saw my holstered gun. That prompted him to abruptly hightailed it out of there.

This is not the first time this has happened at HP. It happens on a regular bases.

These same conceal carriers contradict themselves all the time. They will talk about how many crimes have been thwarted because of the presence of a gun. Then whine about open carriers.

So, when these conceal carry snobs bloviate - ignore them. Why argue with idiots. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

joanie said:
...my sister was over today and said I am sure to be arrested, I asked her "what for?" and she said "brandishing"

Ask her which state law you would be charged with. Try looking up brandish in the ORC.

joanie said:
Naturally, I brought up the 2ed amendment and the bill of rights.

Yeah, no. Don't do that. That tends to get people labeled as 'crazy'.

IMHO, it's a more powerful and convincing argument to use the laws of the state in your comments.