• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California Gun Confiscation Bill Passes, $24 Million

Lord Sega

LINK to article

First off, I'm an Oregonian, not Cali, so I don't have your laws memorized, but I do know that they are very 2A oppressive.
Please read the article, I have a few observations from when I read it that are bothersome...

Assuming that the government (State or Fed) would never misuse their cross-referencing of databases (our government would never do that), or have erroneous, inaccurate, mis-entered data, then getting weapons away from dangerous/prohibited persons is a good thing.

But here's what jumped out at me:

"Because gun-confiscating agents do not obtain search warrants, their job involves convincing people to let them into their homes and hand over their guns. If an individual does turn over a gun, he or she can be arrested on suspicion of illegally owning a firearm."

So, if a person doesn't know their rights, or knowing their rights still says the wrong thing, or is trying to be polite and helpful (especially if they did wrong in the past and are really trying to turn their life around), the LEOs are talking their way into the home "voluntarily" by the homeowner (by-passing 4th amendment rights) and then arresting on a firearm charge (by-passing 5th amendment rights).
I see lots of issues and/or abuses with this. And, wouldn't they use any refusal by the homeowner + the database info as RAS/PC to get a search warrant?

Also, the math bothers me...

1) $24,000,000 to run the program
2) "estimated 40,000 handguns and assault weapons illegally owned by Californians"

This would make it $600 per gun (handgun or "assault" rifle) off the street.

But wait, there's more...

3) "Over the past five years, agents conducting twice-weekly sweeps have confiscated more than 10,000 guns."
4) That's only 2,000 guns per year
5) or 19.2 guns per sweep

So, for 40,000 guns we're talking 20 years at the same rate of confiscation, but
"... the California DOJ says it would take three years to catch up with the backlog of confiscated illegal guns."

6) If it can be done in 3 years, then that would mean 6.6 times the manpower and resources.
7) If the $24,000,000 is yearly and not a lump sum, then 3 years = $1800 per gun

And the other thing to think about, if the Fed funds a similar program (which would require registration of all firearms), at the same rate...
24M x 50 states = $1,200,000,000 = 1.2 Billion (and this would include a lot more manpower, SWAT style, since they know there are firearms present).

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yes, we had a similar bill in CT (I think it passed). And organizations "dedicated" to 2nd amendment supported the bill D'Oh ! I don't think they knew what the bill was for .... but it was for "safety"...sure...

Never never never support any more bills that give $$$ to the police ... they'll use it against you.

Wow, that sure is nice armored vehicle they have a'coming to knock down my house...I wonder how they could have afforded aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

Colcat

I'm just stunned you folks out there tolerate this .Complete and total treason , no two ways about it . This is the things you read about in the history books.
I look through some of the posts and Threads and for the most part i get a sense some of the people in the CA forums here seem oblivious to what the near future holds for you as gun owners. I don't mean to sound condescending but the ''I have nothing to hide'' argument no longer matters to them.