• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Take It Easy All

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I dunno, I didn't find her that bad. To each their own, though, right?

Thank you for validating Eye's viewpoint, and my own. :)

Seriously, though. To each their own, yes. Until it gets to the point that the level and frequency of irrationality causes friction all by itself.

Just as a quick example of her intellectual dishonesty, take a look at her OP comment about hoping she didn't get too many people worked up, and playing rough. Rubbish. If she hoped she didn't get too many people worked up, why did she do it?

And, playing rough? Phffft. She couldn't play rough if you gave her a squad of Russian commandos to use. Her evasions and self-contradictions are not the hallmarks of strength; they're mile-wide banners proclaiming an inability to view her own truth squarely, and defend it vigorously. She has a very low level of self-confidence; she doesn't really believe in her own truth, or doesn't have the strength to defend it. Literally.

If we want to send her off gracefully, I can't argue against it. But, lets not give her qualities or sympathies undeserved.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Always remember that friction takes two opposing surfaces.

Just like it takes two to... tango. (That was tough to get out. :lol:)

Well, yes. But, we're not talking about statism vs liberty or any disagreements like that. At least I'm not. I'm talking about the traits I mentioned: intellectual dishonesty, self-contradiction, evasiveness, dismissiveness.

Edward Coke and Francis Bacon* could argue all day long over whether Coke, as the new Chief Justice of England, should serve justice or the king. But, if either of them regularly contradicted himself, argued in circles, evaded points, or insisted on intellectual dishonesty, for sure the other would walk out in justifiable disgust having nothing to do with the disagreement over Coke's proper role.

I'm re-reading Origins of the Fifth Amendment. Francis Bacon actually recommended Coke for the position of Chief Justice of the Kings Bench, the highest court. Bacon, a strong supporter of James I in religious matters, came up with a wonderful way to nullify Coke's resistance to the king's power in support of liberty--the king should appoint him to the highest position of the highest court. There Coke would hear fewer cases and could cause less trouble for the king. Heh, heh, heh. Bacon was wrong.

Last edited:

ADobbs1989

???

I know of no convention that requires warmth or solemnity when a person who has caused as much friction as she leaves.

Pretty much any sentiment between "good riddance" (hostility) and "thank god!" (relief), even "hallelujah" (elation), is legitimate for this one.

It was a childish gesture, the forum can see for themselves at how childish it was, and if you don't agree your childish as well.

Moving on.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
It was a childish gesture, the forum can see for themselves at how childish it was, and if you don't agree your childish as well.

Moving on.

Ah, yes. Your articulate refutation of my position has convinced me. As did your ad hominem attack and your appeal to common opinion.

By the way, is there something in the water or air in Alabama that causes its residents to hit by announcing "moving on", rather than just moving on without announcing it? Maybe something in a cultural dish?

ADobbs1989

Ah, yes. Your articulate refutation of my position has convinced me. As did your ad hominem attack and your appeal to common opinion.

By the way, is there something in the water or air in Alabama that causes its residents to hit by announcing "moving on", rather than just moving on without announcing it? Maybe something in a cultural dish?

You are childish and dishonest and everyone else is able to see that.

Moving on.

Btw, I'm just trying to see what it's like being eye by making fun of how he addresses every situation or comment he isn't in agreement with.

eye95

???

I know of no convention that requires warmth or solemnity when a person who has caused as much friction as she leaves.

Pretty much any sentiment between "good riddance" (hostility) and "thank god!" (relief), even "hallelujah" (elation), is legitimate for this one.

Really. Even if he is correct, his post is hypocritical as it would also be just as childish. I don't care though. I just find his post ironically humorous.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

Moving on.

Btw, I'm just trying to see what it's like being eye by making fun of how he addresses every situation or comment he isn't in agreement with.

What's funny is...

Really. Even if he is correct, his post is hypocritical as it would also be just as childish. I don't care though. I just find his post ironically humorous.

You really nailed it.

SavageOne

While many have seen the quintessential sore loser, not everyone is familiar with the abysmal winner. Thank you sir, for the lesson. Did Bacon have any thoughts about civility in debate?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
While many have seen the quintessential sore loser, not everyone is familiar with the abysmal winner. Thank you sir, for the lesson. Did Bacon have any thoughts about civility in debate?

I'm not sure how to take that, but it sounds sorta sophisticatedly critical. Now, I'm gonna have this sorta vague feeling of being offended all evening. I think. :)

I don't know that much about Bacon, except he was a favorite of Elizabeth I. And, there was a society in the 1800's dedicated to getting him credited with writing Shakespeare psuedonymously. It shows up in one of Mark Twain's writings. He tells of a dinner event at the society where they bugged him to come out on the side of Bacon. He declined, saying he was certain the guy to whom The Works are classically attributed did not write them. (Twain has some pretty persuasive reasons.) But, Twain told the society, he couldn't say for sure that Bacon wrote them. Ending off an evening of attempted persuasion,

Twain: "Well, I guess I'll just have to wait until I get to heaven to ask him."

Baconite: "You won't find him in heaven."

Twain: "Fine, then you ask him."

:D

eye95

I did. From the discussion skid and I were having. Now I shall move on from this little bit of stupidity from you. Take another shot. meh.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Moving on.

Hey! That gives me an idea.

Remember that blogger who invented all the Flame Warrior characters to describe various personalities on internet forums? Rebel, Goody Two Shoes, Admin, Kung-fu Master.

We could do our own, here.

For example, anytime somebody wanted to strongly disagee with somebody in a brusque way, they could just copy-and-paste Eye's avatar into a post. Enough said. And, then he could just move along.

Or, if somebody wanted to get into a serious debate involving Roberts Rules of Valid Argument, they could just extend the invitation by posting Marshaul's avatar.

Or, if somebody wanted to accuse someone else of being hyper-liberal, they could just post The Donkey's avatar.

If somebody is feeling really confused, they could just post Beretta92's avatar.

And, so forth.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
For example, anytime somebody wanted to strongly disagee with somebody in a brusque way, they could just copy-and-paste Eye's avatar into a post. 'Nuff said. And, then he could just move along.

FIFY

Or, if somebody wanted to get into a serious debate involving Roberts Rules of Valid Argument, they could just extend the invitation by posting Marshaul's avatar.

I'm not sure if you're calling me a good debater or a strict one, but I think I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks. :D

Last edited:

ADobbs1989

Hey! That gives me an idea.

Remember that blogger who invented all the Flame Warrior characters to describe various personalities on internet forums? Rebel, Goody Two Shoes, Admin, Kung-fu Master.

We could do our own, here.

For example, anytime somebody wanted to strongly disagee with somebody in a brusque way, they could just copy-and-paste Eye's avatar into a post. Enough said. And, then he could just move along.

Or, if somebody wanted to accuse someone else of being hyper-liberal, they could just post The Donkey's avatar.

If somebody is feeling really confused, they could just post Beretta92's avatar.

And, so forth.

Ha, that might work.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
FIFY

I'm not sure if you're calling me a good debater or a strict one, but I think I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks. :D

I'm saying you're a
image.php
debater. :D

Now,
image.php

Last edited: