Thread: No sell to va

No sell to va

I was at the local Walmart on the NC side of the border, checking on ammo. when i noticed at the bottom of the don't have list. a notice that they would not sell firearms to VA residents. we couldn't , the clerks and others there, could not figure out if this was a new law or a Walmart policy. Is there and equal notice in VA or just in Mt Airy. is there a new law?

curious minds want to know
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    I was at the local Walmart on the NC side of the border, checking on ammo. when i noticed at the bottom of the don't have list. a notice that they would not sell firearms to VA residents. we couldn't , the clerks and others there, could not figure out if this was a new law or a Walmart policy. Is there and equal notice in VA or just in Mt Airy. is there a new law?

curious minds want to know
    No such notice here that I've seen and how would they know anyway?
    Are they checking ID's in NC?

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    No such notice here that I've seen and how would they know anyway?
    Are they checking ID's in NC?
    you have to give ID to buy a long gun

sorry guys i know i broke the long gun rule but i was just curious
    Last edited by papa bear; 04-22-2013 at 11:29 PM.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

you have to give ID to buy a long gun

sorry guys i know i broke the long gun rule but i was just curious
    I thought you were talking about ammo

That has to be a Walmart rule ..... which they're famous for.

Blame the Commonwealth, not Wally World.

I don't blame WalMart. I blame Virginia.

There is a significant potential liability for WalMart to sell long guns across state lines. If the clerk screws up there is the potential to loose the FFL liability exemption in the 1968 GCA. (Loose the liability exemption in general, not just for the screwed up transfer) I have observed that some of their employees are squared away with gun laws and some of them are at the same level as a box of rocks.

Virginia has some messy and confusing gun transfer laws such as two forms of ID, no sale within 30 days of an original Virginia Drivers License, additional requirements for assault weapon transfers, etc. Remember the Dealer can only sell the long gun if it is legal in both states.

If we were to eliminate Virginia gun transfer laws and rely only on the Federal laws, Virginians might have an easier time buying long guns in other states.

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

i didn't know there were transfer laws on long guns in VA. i thought you could buy a long gun anywhere and bring it into VA. no registration or anything.

did you mean the IDs and 30 day thing to buy a gun in VA. as far as i know in NC you just have to have a background check. we are talking about buying in another state and taking them to VA. i am wondering also about other Walmarts in say TN and KY

i could see the concern on Walmarts part. i don't know what kind of trouble you would have when the federal laws allow it. maybe the background check is a problem in VA

i didn't think to ask about other states like TN, we are pretty close there too. i wonder if say people from FL came to town and went to buy something there

- unknown

i wonder if say people from FL came to town and went to buy something there
    It has to be a contiguous state.

Walmart pulled all the AR's in Virginia stores in the midst of the hysteria now I hear they're back with 10 round mags only.