• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No sell to va

Status
Not open for further replies.

papa bear

I was at the local Walmart on the NC side of the border, checking on ammo. when i noticed at the bottom of the don't have list. a notice that they would not sell firearms to VA residents. we couldn't , the clerks and others there, could not figure out if this was a new law or a Walmart policy. Is there and equal notice in VA or just in Mt Airy. is there a new law?

curious minds want to know

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was at the local Walmart on the NC side of the border, checking on ammo. when i noticed at the bottom of the don't have list. a notice that they would not sell firearms to VA residents. we couldn't , the clerks and others there, could not figure out if this was a new law or a Walmart policy. Is there and equal notice in VA or just in Mt Airy. is there a new law?

curious minds want to know

No such notice here that I've seen and how would they know anyway?
Are they checking ID's in NC?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
you have to give ID to buy a long gun

sorry guys i know i broke the long gun rule but i was just curious

I thought you were talking about ammo:banghead:

That has to be a Walmart rule ..... which they're famous for.

Thundar

Blame the Commonwealth, not Wally World.

I don't blame WalMart. I blame Virginia.

There is a significant potential liability for WalMart to sell long guns across state lines. If the clerk screws up there is the potential to loose the FFL liability exemption in the 1968 GCA. (Loose the liability exemption in general, not just for the screwed up transfer) I have observed that some of their employees are squared away with gun laws and some of them are at the same level as a box of rocks.

Virginia has some messy and confusing gun transfer laws such as two forms of ID, no sale within 30 days of an original Virginia Drivers License, additional requirements for assault weapon transfers, etc. Remember the Dealer can only sell the long gun if it is legal in both states.

If we were to eliminate Virginia gun transfer laws and rely only on the Federal laws, Virginians might have an easier time buying long guns in other states.

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

papa bear

i didn't know there were transfer laws on long guns in VA. i thought you could buy a long gun anywhere and bring it into VA. no registration or anything.

did you mean the IDs and 30 day thing to buy a gun in VA. as far as i know in NC you just have to have a background check. we are talking about buying in another state and taking them to VA. i am wondering also about other Walmarts in say TN and KY

i could see the concern on Walmarts part. i don't know what kind of trouble you would have when the federal laws allow it. maybe the background check is a problem in VA

i didn't think to ask about other states like TN, we are pretty close there too. i wonder if say people from FL came to town and went to buy something there

taurusfan

Walmart pulled all the AR's in Virginia stores in the midst of the hysteria now I hear they're back with 10 round mags only.

Status
Not open for further replies.