• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in state park

cheezhed

Anyone open carry in a state park since concealed carry became legal? If so what was the outcome? I was going to Kohler
Andre and hike with some new gear I have acquired including my pistol and holster. I have my concealed carry license but I want to try my holster and backpack at the same time to work out any bugs with them. I just want to avoid any hassles

oliverclotheshoff

No issues for me i have been to mirror lake state park, buckhorn state park, copper falls state park, devils lake state park I mostly open carry unless it is an accidental shirt cover

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
There ought to be no issues with either OC or CC as long as you have your CCL. Without it, I believe one is still subject to the unloaded and encased requirement. If, by chance, any buildings are posted, you'd still have to comply with the sign. I haven't heard of any buildings being posted in any of the state parks, but maybe someone has?

JJC

There ought to be no issues with either OC or CC as long as you have your CCL. Without it, I believe one is still subject to the unloaded and encased requirement. If, by chance, any buildings are posted, you'd still have to comply with the sign. I haven't heard of any buildings being posted in any of the state parks, but maybe someone has?

I've had no issues at any of the parks I've been in. I was invited into the station by a ranger (after I told him I was carrying), he said he likes people that carry to be around.

JJC

MKEgal

There ought to be no issues with either OC or CC as long as you have your CCL.
Without it, I believe one is still subject to the unloaded and encased requirement.
OMG, I found something that you don't know! Mark this day on the calendar. ;)

29.089 is the statute which used to require a cc license in order to carry (any method) in a state park or fish hatchery, or it could be U&E.
As of 01/01/13 the words "state park" were removed from section 2 (quoted below), making it legal for anyone who is legal to possess a firearm to carry in a state park. (cc still needs a license)

No person may have in his or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land located in [strike]state parks or[/strike] state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case. This subsection does not apply to any of the following:
exception for licensees, LEO, former LEO.

The beauty of this is that, in conjuction with the preemption statute, now NO locality can prohibit a LAC from a park.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

MKEgal

MKEgal said:
OMG, I found something that you don't know! Mark this day on the calendar. ;)
Shotgun said:
Good catch! ... I forgot about that change in the law.
It's just so rare that there's something you're not up on...
And Dave... "youthful energy"?? Really?? I don't feel very youthful nor energetic.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
It's just so rare that there's something you're not up on...
And Dave... "youthful energy"?? Really?? I don't feel very youthful nor energetic.

I'd like to keep it rare, but I can always depend on someone out there to have my six. There was too much time between passage and enactment for my memory to function properly. But your youthful energy pulled us through! :p

E6chevron

I'd like to keep it rare, but I can always depend on someone out there to have my six. There was too much time between passage and enactment for my memory to function properly. But your youthful energy pulled us through! :p

Always an honor to be on the "A" team.

George Peppard (aka Hannibal Smith) said:
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Last edited: