• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitutional Carry for Arkansas

KBCraig

Dont know why this is being called constitutional carry. You have to be out of your own county.

That's incorrect. The law changes the definition of "carrying a weapon", so that it only applies when carrying a handgun, knife, or club with an intent to use it illegally as a weapon against another person.

County lines are irrelevant, since there is no offense committed outside the new definition.

Last edited:

saiga12boy

He's wrong but the attorney general says that it doesen't apply to open carry and only applys when you leave yourhome county. I'd say to just do it anyway the real law is the 2nd ammendment and that supercedes all of their crap.

Sonora Rebel

'Journey'? This isn't Constitutional Carry... it's gobbledegook clutter. Ummm... this 'intent' thing is an open door to whatever the cops say it is. I'll stay clear of Arkansas 'til y'all get it sorted out.

EMNofSeattle

seems to me that if you are going to push the open carry angle (which the State AG believes the law does not allow for OC) then you guys in Ark should get a group of 15 to 20 open carriers at a time, the Gov is less interested in harassing groups then individuals.

Lyndsy Simon

'Journey'? This isn't Constitutional Carry... it's gobbledegook clutter. Ummm... this 'intent' thing is an open door to whatever the cops say it is. I'll stay clear of Arkansas 'til y'all get it sorted out.

The "journey" definition is a distraction in this case. The word has been undefined in Arkansas law, and we needed a definition.

The meat here is the addition of the requirement to show intent to employ the weapon unlawfully. That's the clarification that Denny Altes, the bill's author, was making.

Lyndsy Simon

seems to me that if you are going to push the open carry angle (which the State AG believes the law does not allow for OC) then you guys in Ark should get a group of 15 to 20 open carriers at a time, the Gov is less interested in harassing groups then individuals.

I'm from Arkansas originally, but moved to Virginia about 2 months ago. I was in the state for a funeral earlier this week, and OC'd briefly around my hometown of Harrison. No one seemed to notice. I also "concealed" my sidearm very poorly for a trip to Walmart and several stops for fuel and food between Harrison and Little Rock - I'm certain at least twice I was "made", but as far as I know nothing came of it.

I was also unfortunately unable to corral my county's sheriff at church last Sunday, as I was going to ask him what he'd heard about Act 746. I did call the county dispatcher, and they said that they were unaware of any specific training re: Act 746, and that the person to call would be the county prosecuting attorney. I called her and got her voicemail, and didn't receive a call back.

Kopis

my sheriff buddy who is very openly supportive of the 2nd on Facebook put up a post basically recommending people NOT open carry and stating the AGs position. It's funny how virtually every LEO i talk to acts like the world will collapse if we go OC but tennessee is just a few miles from us and they dont have any issues.

KBCraig

my sheriff buddy who is very openly supportive of the 2nd on Facebook put up a post basically recommending people NOT open carry and stating the AGs position.

Ask him what crime he would charge someone withi for open carrying, either with or without a license, and either inside or beyond his home county.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Ask him what crime he would charge someone withi for open carrying, either with or without a license, and either inside or beyond his home county.

That is always a good thing to ask I once had a fellow officer tell me OC was illegal in Wis. I said please show me the statue that makes it so. He said every body knows it is I said show me lets bet a steak dinner he wouldn't take the bet nor did he ever show me. Of course because there isn't one.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Exactly correct. The default position is that all actions are legal

All actions are legal unless a law has been made prohibiting them. The statists want everything to be illegal unless their is a law mandating action.

Kopis

that's a good point. Im going to text him and ask him.

i think the AG put out an opinion tho that says the new law does not allow OC tho so im not sure. i dont have the funds to fight it so im out lol! ill stay with my trusty crossbreed for now. that's one comfy IWB holster! I do OC my comptac mag pouch tho. it always gets some glances. I just dont like CC because my draw is so much slower and always gets hung up on my shirt. I can draw quickly with it tucked in but if it's concealed... much harder to get a clean first grip and the weapon not to hang on your shirt.

Last edited:

KBCraig

i think the AG put out an opinion tho that says the new law does not allow OC tho so im not sure.

He did, but his opinion on the matter carries exactly the same legal weight as mine.

Well, not really: mine matches the law, while his doesn't.

He's put out several plainly stupid and incorrect AG opinions in the last few weeks.

endorphine44

77zach

He did, but his opinion on the matter carries exactly the same legal weight as mine.

Well, not really: mine matches the law, while his doesn't.

He's put out several plainly stupid and incorrect AG opinions in the last few weeks.

Yes, but don't enemy troops go off of AG opinions, right or wrong? The department administration asks the AG for an opinion and then instructs the [strike]jackboots[/strike] officers on the ground accordingly.

--Mod edited with strike through--
Irresponsibly increasing the anti-police rhetoric fosters additional resentment of LEO/LEA.

Last edited by a moderator: