• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

the video from the aldis attempted robbery

HandyHamlet

Views are opinions.
Opinions are subjective last time I checked.
Including yours. :cool:
It's great you found something that works for you.
Pushing what works for you on others?
Not so great.
My view is do what's best for you. Despite empty internet machismo.
Crazy. I know.

Some pistols like the Sig P250 can't even be "cocked".

Happy weekend!

;)

Last edited:

SPOProds

Only issue i have is he didn't drop the guy coming through the door.

Lack of social responsibility results in societal decay.

Sent from the back of a black van

protias

Only issue i have is he didn't drop the guy coming through the door.

Lack of social responsibility results in societal decay.

We are not police, so we are not "privileged" enough to do that.

SPOProds

We are not police, so we are not "privileged" enough to do that.

Privileged or not, i couldn't live with myself not doing anything. I also personally believe, many don't, that people stopped caring and that is the reason society is the way it is

smithman

I can't pretend to put myself in his shoes since there is no audio and I wasn't there. I can say, however:

If you carry with safety on with nothing in the chamber, you are leaving yourself open to being shot. Seconds count. You see him mess with the safety and rack the slide.

The best situation is to carry with safety off and one in the chamber and this video proves it. Even Nazir, who owned and carried the gun, forgot to do the necessary steps to turn his $500 club into a useful firearm.

NoTolerance

I can't pretend to put myself in his shoes since there is no audio and I wasn't there. I can say, however:

If you carry with safety on with nothing in the chamber, you are leaving yourself open to being shot. Seconds count. You see him mess with the safety and rack the slide.

The best situation is to carry with safety off and one in the chamber and this video proves it. Even Nazir, who owned and carried the gun, forgot to do the necessary steps to turn his $500 club into a useful firearm.

This video would only prove your point had Nazir been shot. He wasn't.

There are states where it is illegal to carry with one in the chamber.

While I tend to agree that carrying with one in the chamber is the way to go, that is simply a matter of opinion and what works for me to make me feel more comfortable and confident.

What this video does prove, however, is that you can never train enough. With more dry training, Nazir may not have fumbled quite as much trying to get his firearm into a ready state. That said, there's only so much prep work one can do. Being in a real world situation changes things significantly, I'd imagine.

I just hope that if I ever find myself in a situation where defensive gun use comes into play that muscle memory wins out over nerves.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
This video would only prove your point had Nazir been shot. He wasn't.

There are states where it is illegal to carry with one in the chamber.

While I tend to agree that carrying with one in the chamber is the way to go, that is simply a matter of opinion and what works for me to make me feel more comfortable and confident.

What this video does prove, however, is that you can never train enough. With more dry training, Nazir may not have fumbled quite as much trying to get his firearm into a ready state. That said, there's only so much prep work one can do. Being in a real world situation changes things significantly, I'd imagine.

I just hope that if I ever find myself in a situation where defensive gun use comes into play that muscle memory wins out over nerves.

Which states don't allow to carry a chambered pistol? I don't know of any that require a concealed carry licensee to carry an empty chamber. Also, if that is the case then what about revolver carriers? Are they required to carry the first chamber empty as well? And on and on....what about those that carry a Deringer?

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

And that's the difference between reality and the internet. Self proclaimed Sheep Dogs, internet heroes and Nazir.

Nazir has proven to himself and his family that he walks the walk and talks the talk. He and his wife survived an armed robbery and a corrupt legal system. He also represented himself and the rest of us in a positive light throughout his many interviews, news stories and videos.

That's more than any of us can say. So by all means keep looking like absolute fools as you Sheep Dogs prattle on about shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Thank you Nazir.

:cool:

Motofixxer

Good job Nazir. Keep one chambered and practice making the safety flick second natured :) Or get a Glock ;)

Yep one reason my EDC is a Glock. But I also leave the safety off the others much of the time also. As long as you practice the first two rules of firearm safety. It can be done safely. One less thing to distract you when you need it most. In that fight or flight moment thoughts and processes go out the window. Hopefully you have training and practice to revert to.

E6chevron

And that's the difference between reality and the internet. Self proclaimed Sheep Dogs, internet heroes and Nazir.

Nazir has proven to himself and his family that he walks the walk and talks the talk. He and his wife survived an armed robbery and a corrupt legal system. He also represented himself and the rest of us in a positive light throughout his many interviews, news stories and videos.

That's more than any of us can say. So by all means keep looking like absolute fools as you Sheep Dogs prattle on about shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Thank you Nazir.

:cool:

Post-engagement reporting, debriefing, discussion of different scenarios and outcomes is a common method of improving tactics and priorities, for the potential next situation. I know Nazir did this himself. He is very supportive of continual training and self-improvement, and he did represent us in a positive light.

I went to the store, less than 24 hours after the incident, to familiarize myself with the layout, signage and the distances involved. This was prior to availability of this video.

Trip20

The guy that walked the walk armchairs his own tactics recognizing "some real bad decisions" he made (51:29 of the broadcast). Smart man. He'll be better prepared in the future it sounds.

Trip20

I'm not sure what you're insinuating, HH.

Or I guess more specifically I'm not sure what his 2-week license possession has to do with the segment of my post you quoted. Forgive my ignorance if its obvious and I'm simply missing it.

HandyHamlet

I'm not sure what you're insinuating, HH.

I'm not insinuating anything. Mainly talking to myself.

You pointed out his self critique but did not post about him only CCing for two weeks. I am. He was a rookie in a life and death situation. I hope now that he has his personal property back he can familiarize himself with his sidearm and practice. Regardless, he will be better prepared in the future. So... I agree?

Trip20

I'm not insinuating anything. Mainly talking to myself.

You pointed out his self critique but did not post about him only CCing for two weeks. I am. He was a rookie in a life and death situation. I hope now that he has his personal property back he can familiarize himself with his sidearm and practice. Regardless, he will be better prepared in the future. So... I agree?

Ok, gotcha. I didn't purposely leave out that tidbit, just so you know. I didn't think it relevant.

Trip20

Well... the reality of his experience with firearms and CC...

Ok, now that's different. I would definitely agree that experience with firearms is particularly relevant. The length of time one has held a CC permit, not so much.

At the end, sans those of you with experience deploying your firearms in a defensive manner, we're all rookies no matter how much paper we've punished at the range.

Last edited: