• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Tale of Henrico - Chapter 2 in a Ferry Tale - Arrested for following the law

twoskinsonemanns

Graham, God bless you and your family. I truly hope you are able to endure this horrific injustice.

For some reason I was away from this site for a few months. Don't really know why. Anyway I missed all this action. I read through the 30 some pages and I am horrified at what you are having to go through. I chipped in $50 and hope you and your family continue the fight.

I also just want to say it was quite moving to see so much support for you.
And also appalling to see you attacked by small minded people. The "take your lumps" comment was particularly appalling. How flippantly some people will condemn a person to having there life turned upside down or even destroyed on a whim. I wonder if the gravity of what it could do to a person to be locked away in a cage for 6 months ever occurred to the first judge... or to those who would tell you to "take your lumps"

The gov is like the Eye of Sauron looking and looking. Any one of us could cause that gaze to linger on us through no fault of our own. Any one of us could be in that same situation.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Everything that needed to be filed in the Ct. of Apps. is there as of March of this year. To my mind, the fact that it's taking a while is a good thing - it means they're taking it seriously and thinking about it. Since G. isn't in jail, waiting isn't as big a problem as it might be. That statute is a real problem, particularly as it's been interpreted - it no longer says what it appears to say, and the average person can't just read the statute and have any clue what it means, because of strained opinions in bad cases. I think the language needs to be cleaned up significantly. Actually, I think the whole statute could just go away, because it's the same level of penalty as assault and simple assault would do just as well for anyone actually threatened without good reason. Both "brandishing" and "assault" are "class-one misdemeanors". But I haven't been able to build a fire under my own legislators, and I can't get the VCDL interested. I think the real problem is the Commonwealth's Attorneys Association - it's become much easier to get convictions under the brandishing statute, which no longer requires actual brandishing, so there's a political backlash involved. We really need to build a groundswell of consensus and start inundating the legislators about this bizarre statute.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The problem with our legislators, as they have amply demonstrated, is that they don't care about the justice of the law, or basic right and wrong, or even their putative "representative" status.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
My peers are some of the most immoral, uncouth, uneducated, ignorant, scumbags the world has ever known. This is the average American.

Then they're not your peers, are they? What is the definition of a peer again? Yeah...

I'm sad that I didn't see this sooner. This is damn amazing... I would not be shocked to find this in a Floriduh Kourt, but in VA... I'm left to ask, yet again, what do We the People think can ever come from working within a broken system?

Whne will you "civlized" excuse-makers wake up? There is only one way to fix this, as history has proven time and again...

If not prepared to scar youself by wondering how you could do such a thing, then you've already lost... The enemy is more than willing and won't even miss a good night's sleep over it.

All you experienced experts need to wake up and realize what I have known for almost 20 years; you don't matter anymore. Your skill is worthless. Your efforts are a waste. Even Grapeshot has it in his tagline, and you still don't get it... Your enemy is treacherous, and the rules do not apply to anyone but you. You will lose, and this time, his name was Scouser.

This isn't going to stop happening now that it has happened once. This is your event horizon. You're not coming back.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Everything that needed to be filed in the Ct. of Apps. is there as of March of this year. To my mind, the fact that it's taking a while is a good thing - it means they're taking it seriously and thinking about it. Since G. isn't in jail, waiting isn't as big a problem as it might be. That statute is a real problem, particularly as it's been interpreted - it no longer says what it appears to say, and the average person can't just read the statute and have any clue what it means, because of strained opinions in bad cases. I think the language needs to be cleaned up significantly. Actually, I think the whole statute could just go away, because it's the same level of penalty as assault and simple assault would do just as well for anyone actually threatened without good reason. Both "brandishing" and "assault" are "class-one misdemeanors". But I haven't been able to build a fire under my own legislators, and I can't get the VCDL interested. I think the real problem is the Commonwealth's Attorneys Association - it's become much easier to get convictions under the brandishing statute, which no longer requires actual brandishing, so there's a political backlash involved. We really need to build a groundswell of consensus and start inundating the legislators about this bizarre statute.
Waiting........patiently for the Court of Appeals.

ResidentCelt

....That statute is a real problem, particularly as it's been interpreted - it no longer says what it appears to say, and the average person can't just read the statute and have any clue what it means, because of strained opinions in bad cases. I think the language needs to be cleaned up significantly. Actually, I think the whole statute could just go away, because it's the same level of penalty as assault and simple assault would do just as well for anyone actually threatened without good reason. Both "brandishing" and "assault" are "class-one misdemeanors". ....

I don't have time on my hands... can someone provide the cite to the section that user is referencing here? Thanks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I don't have time on my hands... can someone provide the cite to the section that user is referencing here? Thanks.

Va brandishing statute:
https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-282

Va assault statute:
https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-57

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We wait. We figget. We scratch and cough. The wheels of justice turn slowly - still no news and meanwhile Scouser remains restricted. :(

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Think I found the problem:

The judge is standing on the idler gear :uhoh:

That and no synchronizers.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Think I found the problem:

The judge is standing on the idler gear :uhoh:

That and no synchronizers.

I thought we were still waiting for Henrico to file some/certain/any response(s). Where did that notion come from?

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Good sharp observation. It is never possible for three meshed gears to turn, any two reverse direction.

Au contraire - idler gears are a norm in manual vehicle transmissions.

An odd number of gears that have direct contact w/o an idler, will turn opposite.

OTOH - your "any" may have been intended to be "and."