• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Tale of Henrico - Chapter 2 in a Ferry Tale - Arrested for following the law

AFCop

I know it's a pain Guys...but as usual, we don't want to release a lot of details yet.
I can tell you this. I tried to get the written complaint from the court and it doesn't appear to exist.
+

Given what I know about law enforcement (although I am still learning Va opposed to Tx), that is what I made an educated guess on... If I had to make another one, I would venture to say the cops (and I use that term loosely) PC Statement is written in 3rd person something to the extent of "Subject was observed" without necessarily saying who observed.. Fry them!! I despise LEOs like that!!!!

scouser

obviously I've been told not to say anything here about what happened, so I'm not going to.

What I can say, though, is how grateful I am for the support of the Richmond Area Breakfast Club for their support since I first told them of what happened. Not just the financial support that's been forthcoming from them in the past few days, but the being there to share a coffee, the support of not having to go anywhere on my own, the offers of being just a phonecall away 24 hours a day. Some would label them 'the old men's club', some would describe them as cantankerous or curmudgeons. Me, I only have one word to describe them, "friends".

To everyone else, I want to say thank you for the support already being shown or promised in the future. I can't begin to tell you all how much having the support of this community means to me

AFCop

obviously I've been told not to say anything here about what happened, so I'm not going to.

What I can say, though, is how grateful I am for the support of the Richmond Area Breakfast Club for their support since I first told them of what happened. Not just the financial support that's been forthcoming from them in the past few days, but the being there to share a coffee, the support of not having to go anywhere on my own, the offers of being just a phonecall away 24 hours a day. Some would label them 'the old men's club', some would describe them as cantankerous or curmudgeons. Me, I only have one word to describe them, "friends".

To everyone else, I want to say thank you for the support already being shown or promised in the future. I can't begin to tell you all how much having the support of this community means to me

This may sound a tad cliche' but just like in the military.... One team, One fight!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
+

Given what I know about law enforcement (although I am still learning Va opposed to Tx), that is what I made an educated guess on... If I had to make another one, I would venture to say the cops (and I use that term loosely) PC Statement is written in 3rd person something to the extent of "Subject was observed" without necessarily saying who observed.. Fry them!! I despise LEOs like that!!!!

Well...here soon I'll start being myself and one thing I want to make clear is that I'm not cop hating. I've talked to Officers in that Venue that are as professional and respectful of rights as anyone here....I've also talked to some real duds.

It's fishing season so I guess the best way to put it is most are like Shad, neither good or bad. I release all of them. Some are like Stripers, they're keepers, and a few are like Snakehead's.....just not worth a damn.

sidestreet

Well said Peter Nap and AFCop...,

Well...here soon I'll start being myself and one thing I want to make clear is that I'm not cop hating. I've talked to Officers in that Venue that are as professional and respectful of rights as anyone here....I've also talked to some real duds.

It's fishing season so I guess the best way to put it is most are like Shad, neither good or bad. I release all of them. Some are like Stripers, they're keepers, and a few are like Snakehead's.....just not worth a damn.

I know and have known a number of Henrico cops, and what I've noticed is that a lot of them really don't like each other!!! Lot of jealousy, resentment, and hoo doo in there, but just about to a man they will fall back behind that "blue line".

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I know and have known a number of Henrico cops, and what I've noticed is that a lot of them really don't like each other!!! Lot of jealousy, resentment, and hoo doo in there, but just about to a man they will fall back behind that "blue line".

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

That they do Sidestreet. I've done a lot of fishing the last few days and it's just amazing how many are reading this board or being briefed on it....just comments that have been made that there is no other way they could have known.

I was talking to a State Trooper yesterday and it was obvious he was not comfortable talking about off duty employment. The reason I was asking never came up but during the conversation he said "Brandishing is what the Judge says it is"......I think I just got a bite.

When I sold the ammunition last night a local cop sent me a message about using the gun to the cats head, story. No one said anything about that in the ammo ad.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I took the never investigated it to mean just that. Given the sparse details, I find it highly unlikely, given the course of action, that he went back to the bus driver and obtained a sworn statement before swearing out a warrant.
Absenting that and not personally observing, where is the RAS?

I know it's a pain Guys...but as usual, we don't want to release a lot of details yet.
I can tell you this. I tried to get the written complaint from the court and it doesn't appear to exist.
They're a lot of things "missing" from this case - though some must be held close for now.

This may sound a tad cliche' but just like in the military.... One team, One fight!
Hell ya!

Old favorite expression of mine - You'd rather grab a rattlesnake's tongue than mess with me or mine unjustly.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by peter nap
snip
When I sold the ammunition last night a local cop sent me a message about using the gun to the cats head, story. No one said anything about that in the ammo ad.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by marshaul
Wait, what?
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by roscoe13
+1
The original post re ammo for sale was missed until after the fact. Peter has been properly admonished.
Simple solution IMO is to say that something in size 9 is for sale on such and such a site AND it is for a good cause :)

Think that the reference to smacking with a gun is atypical and not well accepted.

TFred

I think the part of this story that cuts me to the heart centers on the 3 year old son. Don't know if scouser was arrested in front of his son or not, but even if not, 3 year olds are pretty sharp when it comes to missing daddy.

What does mommy say the next morning when daddy isn't around?

"I'm sorry son, your daddy was taken to jail by a bad police man who decided not to do his job right. He wanted to be mean to daddy because he did something that was OK to do, but the police man didn't like."

No matter how this turns out, that boy's innocent view of a world where the police are our friends is forever destroyed.

I hope that guy is handing out smiley-stickers at Walmart until he's 85 years old.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The original post re ammo for sale was missed until after the fact. Peter has been properly admonished.
Simple solution IMO is to say that something in size 9 is for sale on such and such a site AND it is for a good cause :)

Think that the reference to smacking with a gun is atypical and not well accepted.

Yep...been scolded, won't do it again!:(

AFCop

Absenting that and not personally observing, where is the RAS?

Grape, I am not sure what you mean by this but it is my understanding that if said "busybody" had sworn out a statement and they are the complaining party that a LEO can act as an agent of the court and arrest once a warrant is issued.

Like I said, I've been in Va for 2 months before I deployed so I didn't really get a chance to delve into Va law too much... So what I am not sure of is whether or not the DA/CA has to file the paperwork for charges before a warrant can be issued.

Example: In Texas I filed bigamy charges against my ex-wife in Texas (Looooooooooong Story - much older and wiser now!!). I had to swear out a statement at the PD, provide substantiating evidence and show some form of fraud in order or the DA to file. The DA filed the charges and the warrant was issued based on my complaint. Not sure if that is how it works in Va, yet.

Believing that: without at least a sworn statement from an eye witness and some corroborating evidence (because I don't play he said she said b*ll-S), there is no RAS, no PC.... Hell! No reason to even think about the gentleman sitting in his car...

Please correct me if I am wrong.