• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Carry legal victory makes way for constitutional challenge to Open Carry Ban

77zach

makes way for constitutional challenge to Open Carry Ban

So, is it saying the State needs to respond by July 30th? What is the process of this challenge going forward towards getting the ban overturned?

If by some miracle this court rules the oc ban unconstitutional (a long time from now), then it will go to the Fl supreme court.

press1280

Article I, Sec 8: The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law.

This amendment is repugnant to its very intent. In one instance it says the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed, but then it immediately states the bearing of arms may be regulated by law. If a right is NOT to be infringed, then it is NOT to be regulated. Apparently someone didn't understand the meaning of "shall" and "infringed."

I had honestly never spent the time to study Florida's constitutional provision, but now that I have read it I find it rather appalling.

Who would've thought a state that strongly supports the right to keep and BEAR arms would have such a useless constitutional provision that "protects" the same?

The "manner" of bearing arms phrase is similiar to that of other states' constitutions, although it was typically to nullify concealed carry, not open carry. I believe it's vague enough that the FL Supreme Court could easily find that the state can ban OC while allowing for shall-issue CCW. They would probably have to strike down(or at least clarify) the 1989 appeals court ruling.

77zach

The "manner" of bearing arms phrase is similiar to that of other states' constitutions, although it was typically to nullify concealed carry, not open carry. I believe it's vague enough that the FL Supreme Court could easily find that the state can ban OC while allowing for shall-issue CCW. They would probably have to strike down(or at least clarify) the 1989 appeals court ruling.

Bingo. If they hear the case at all, we'll have a ruling that says concealed carry is the right and that the privilege to carry concealed is our right. It's been many years but I still remember the scene in the novel 1984 when O'brien is asking Winston how many fingers he's holding up. That's what I expect when dealing with government courts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTFV9w4B0eg

Last edited:

protias

Bingo. If they hear the case at all, we'll have a ruling that says concealed carry is the right and that the privilege to carry concealed is our right. It's been many years but I still remember the scene in the novel 1984 when O'brien is asking Winston how many fingers he's holding up. That's what I expect when dealing with government courts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTFV9w4B0eg

Just as there are only 4 lights!

[video=youtube;o_eSwq1ewsU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_eSwq1ewsU[/video]

77zach

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...carry-law-over-fears-of-blood-in-the-streets/

This is really a remarkable thing of tyranny out in MS. Judges don't like to go against the wishes of the legislature usually. This gives us an idea of the obstacles Norman Vs Fl has here. The will of the legislature in re-legalizing open carry in MS was explicit and the anti gun courts went out of their way to delay or possibly even permanently derail enforcement. How much more difficult will it be for the courts to grant us our right here when it is the will of the Fl legislature to deny our rights?

hermannr

For a comparison: Idaho state constitution:

CONSTITUTION OF THE STATE OF IDAHO

ARTICLE I DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

Section 11. Right to keep and bear arms. The people have the right to keep and bear arms, which right shall not be abridged; but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to govern the carrying of weapons concealed on the person nor prevent passage of legislation providing minimum sentences for crimes committed while in possession of a firearm, nor prevent the passage of legislation providing penalties for the possession of firearms by a convicted felon, nor prevent the passage of any legislation punishing the use of a firearm. No law shall impose licensure, registration or special taxation on the ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition. Nor shall any law permit the confiscation of firearms, except those actually used in the commission of a felony.

Idaho state Supreme Court Ruling on regulation of carry, "in re Brickley" 1902 : link here. http://www.guncite.com/court/state/70p609.html (Very short and sweet)

The fact of the matter is: Either everyone CCs without a license, or with a license that costs nothing, or you can OC without a license. One way or another, a "right" cannot be licensed, or it becomes a privilege. A no cost license would be more like a voter's registration, and probably would be permissible...Read the Idaho ruling.

Last edited:

hammer6

Section 11. Right to keep and bear arms. The people have the right to keep and bear arms, which right shall not be abridged; but this provision shall not prevent the passage of laws to govern the carrying of weapons concealed on the person nor prevent passage of legislation providing minimum sentences for crimes committed while in possession of a firearm, nor prevent the passage of legislation providing penalties for the possession of firearms by a convicted felon, nor prevent the passage of any legislation punishing the use of a firearm. No law shall impose licensure, registration or special taxation on the ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition. Nor shall any law permit the confiscation of firearms, except those actually used in the commission of a felony.

Idaho state Supreme Court Ruling on regulation of carry, "in re Brickley" 1902 : link here. http://www.guncite.com/court/state/70p609.html (Very short and sweet)

The fact of the matter is: Either everyone CCs without a license, or with a license that costs nothing, or you can OC without a license. One way or another, a "right" cannot be licensed, or it becomes a privilege. A no cost license would be more like a voter's registration, and probably would be permissible...Read the Idaho ruling.

you know, that ruling also means there are no "off-limits" places in idaho.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

you know, that ruling also means there are no "off-limits" places in idaho.

Still see private property as remaining private - the constitution being restrictive on the government.

hammer6

Still see private property as remaining private - the constitution being restrictive on the government.

you know that i know that....but you were just putting that for clarification, right?

i meant law-ordered off-limits places. like, all the places listed in florida can't be listed in idaho. except the SCOTUS ordered off-limits places....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
you know that i know that....but you were just putting that for clarification, right?

i meant law-ordered off-limits places. like, all the places listed in florida can't be listed in idaho. except the SCOTUS ordered off-limits places....

Not shaking my finger. Strictly intended conversationally, yet to clarify for those that might be otherwise confused.

77zach

The state's dishonest response is due tonight. Does anyone know anything about time frames on this court's decision? I know the UNF lawsuit is taking years. :(

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
The state's dishonest response is due tonight. Does anyone know anything about time frames on this court's decision? I know the UNF lawsuit is taking years. :(

Actually the state got another 30 day extension. It is now due Aug 23rd

randian

We dont say I'm wearing short or pant, so think maybe that should be the plural form too :p
I was going for the legal side of things, so the singular is quite correct.

I find the endless, no meaningful justification needed, extensions the government gets to be outrageous. Judges are never so lenient to the non-government side. See also Moore v. Madigan.

77zach

Obviously the court is going to be in the state's corner. Obviously this is an unreasonable amount of time. What's to keep the court from giving extensions forever?

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Obviously the court is going to be in the state's corner. Obviously this is an unreasonable amount of time. What's to keep the court from giving extensions forever?

There will not be another extension at this phase of the trial absent some extremely good reason. The state knows that it has run out the clock as long as the court will allow for the filing of an answer. Delays like this are quite common in cases like this.

Last edited: