• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah OC Age

kdt1970

(WITHOUT PERMIT) You need to be 18 to open carry in Utah. That is "Utah" unloaded of course (76-10-502). Stay 1000 feet from school zones, unless on your own property.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Stay 1000 feet from school zones, unless on your own property.

I spend very little time in northern UT, but quite a bit in the southern half, and as a UT-certified instructor, I try to stay abreast of everything. I can only assume you are referring to the Federal GFSZA? Has that ever been enforced in UT? We completely ignore this unconstitutional "law" in NV and AZ, and I was pretty sure we did in UT, too, but since you are a resident; I'll bow to your experience, or if you have heard of any.

kdt1970

I know they did away with the 1000 foot thing in Utah a year or two ago, So yes I am referring to the Federal gun free zone. better to be safe than sorry.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... better to be safe than sorry.

I can never fault a guy for telling the law as it is. I wanted to make sure I wasn't forgetting something stupidly obvious (because it wouldn't be the first time I've done that around here.)

I treat/teach it like doing 56 MPH when the speed limit is 55; yeah, I'm breaking the law, ha ha...

:)

UtahGunOwner

So anther question 2 firing positions is the law for under 21 to open carry I have a Glock. Unchambered is one does the trigger device count as a 2nd?

JoeSparky

Centurion
So anther question 2 firing positions is the law for under 21 to open carry I have a Glock. Unchambered is one does the trigger device count as a 2nd?

Law specifies "more than one mechanical action to fire" to comply with UTAH UNLOADED for a semi-auto. (revolvers have an additional restriction depending upon single or double action). Law does not say that the trigger does not count. Since to comply with Utah Unloaded by not having a round in "firing position" then action one would be to "rack the slide" and the next action (more than one action to fire) would be the trigger pull.

Perfectly legal to carry with a full mag inserted into the mag wall and an empty chamber!

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You could carry with the slide locked back, if you wanted to. It's a little faster, and has the great benefit of easy one-handed operation, but it also advertises that your gun is not ready to shoot; so I'm not in favor of it; but it is an option.

Last edited: