• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Town of Groton and Chief Michael Crowley

Edward Peruta

www.CTGUNRIGHTS.COM and www.CTCARRY.com after being contacted by long time member of the U.S. Navy (Sean Paddock) has learned that the Town of Groton, not to be confused with the City of Grotonis making Pistol Permit applicants schedule their interviews and fingerprinting sometime in the late summer. August 14th was the last date we are aware of.

The issue is being addressed in a current appeal to be scheduled by the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners.

The applicant is a married enlisted E-6 who is a Submarine Service nuculear tech. with Top Secret Clearance and one would hope a clean mental past.

The applicant is also subject to immediate deploymentat the convienience of the Government, and should not be forced to WAIT to obtain is right to acquire, possess or carry firearms.

We recommended that the applicant file an immediate appeal claiming a "CONSTRUCTIVE DENIAL".

The applicant after being told that the department would not accept his application at the front desk, submitted a "sufficient application" by U.S. Mail after obtaining fingerprint cards from the U.S. Navel Submarine Base.

The Deputy Chief recently called the applicant and told him they would not accept applications at the front desk or by U.S. Mail and said that he did not submit a "STATE" fingerprint card with his application.

The applicant then proceeded to obtain two State Applicant fingerpint cards form State Police Headquarters in Middletown and sent one to the Town of Groton Police Department by U.S. Mail.

The Town of Groton Police Department refused one of the cards at the front desk and sent back the fingerpint card submitted by U.S. Mail.

Chief Crowley was very terse in the letter which accompanied the returned fingerprint card and has set up a very good case to resolve this situation.

There is much more to this story but the facts will be revealed at any hearing held.

THIS IS NO WAY TO TREAT ACTIVE DUTY MEMEBERS OF THE MILITARY.

I will not miss any hearing on this topic and will support this honorable member of our armed services.

Chief Crowley sould be ashamed of himself and those in his department.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The fact that the guy is a serviceman is irrelevant ~ no person should be treated like that !

What interviews? I would not submit to any interviews .... because we need a permit to practice the only "suitability" examination should be an examination of if the gov't can prove that an applicant has his/her gun rights, that's it.

The PO1 could have served the first selectman of the town. Anytime a person is serving a document upon a town, they should know the processes available and the procedures. The PO1 could have just given it to the police and walked away and not accepted it back. I've had similar situations "here, take this back, we don't want it"..and I just walk away, I served them .. if they want to toss it in the garbage that's up to them.

The PO1 can request an expedited hearing if he so chooses and list all the reasons why he should be granted it. The BFPE will rule on it.
I doubt he'll get it granted but he can still request it and make a record of it. Being in the service and subject to "immediate deployment" is likely not good cause for an expedited hearing. If anyone has any case law to support this aspect of "good cause" then it may help the PO1 produce such a filing.

Edward Peruta

I knew I should have added one more paragraph to the post

To: David Godbout, AKA davidmcbeth,

I was going to add this comment to the post and now wish that I had.

Davidmcbeth,

Please do not respond to this post or any other post that I make because your obsession with every post only distracts from the messages posted.

I together with many others are NOT impressed with your constant rants and outrageous obsessive posts on every topic.

Having now posted the comment that should have been part of the original post, I'll offer everyone information to correct your comments.

The fact that Sean Paddock is an active duty SERVING member of the U.S. Military with the rank of E-6 does in fact put him in a special class of applicant.

The fact that he is responsible enough to currently work around a nuclear reactor on a nuclear submarine is something that any issuing authority or the Board should consider regarding suitablity.

The fact that he is subject to being deployed into harm's way at any time should entitle him to an expedited hearing

The town of Groton has NO First Selectman, it has a Police Chief named Michael Crowley who is the local issuing authority.

Any application must be directed to the issuing authority and nobody else.

Sean Paddock on a referral from another member of the Navy who was assisted by www.ctgunrights.com and www.ctcarry.com asked for the assistance of those he considered trustworthy and has been counseled during his attempt to obtain his local permit in the Town of Groton.

There are countless individuals who have and do put a great deal of time and effort into assisting others without seeking the attention you seem to crave.

Please DO NOT respond to any of my posts because it makes me physically ill to know you are out there with nothing better to do that rant and rave about every post and all the cases you have.

You, Mr. David Godbout make me very nervous and scare me, and I don't scare to easily!

Last edited:

Edward Peruta

Paddock case to be heard on May 9th

The Board's website has Sean Paddock's application case listed for a hearing on May 9th at Wethersfield Police Department.

This case should result in several key decisions.

1. Applications can be submitted via U.S. Certitied Mail
2. Fingerprint and interview appointments must be timely
3. The five day provision to submit fingerprints to SPBI must be followed.

This case could have a significant impact on the permit application process.

davidmcbeth

Banned
CGS Sec 29-28

(b) Upon the application of any person having a bona fide residence or place of business within the jurisdiction of any such authority, such chief of police, warden or selectman may issue a temporary state permit to such person to carry a pistol or revolver within the state, provided such authority shall find that such applicant intends to make no use of any pistol or revolver which such applicant may be permitted to carry under such permit other than a lawful use and that such person is a suitable person to receive such permit.

Sec. 29-28a. Application for permit. Notice of decision to applicant. (a) Requests for temporary state permits under section 29-28 shall be submitted to the chief of police, or, where there is no chief of police, to the warden of the borough or the first selectman of the town, as the case may be, on application forms prescribed by the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection. Upon written request by any person for a temporary state permit not on a prescribed application form, or upon request by any person for such application form, the local authority shall supply such forms. When any such request is made in person at the office of the local authority, the local authority shall supply such application form immediately. When any such request is made in any other manner, the local authority shall supply such application form not later than one week after receiving such request. If such application form is not supplied within the time limits required by this section, the request therefor shall constitute a sufficient application.

There is no method of service mandated in Chapter 529 for the application.

Edward Peruta

Paddock receives Town of Groton document today

Sean Paddock has recieved Chief Crowleys questionaire and this is what it looks like.

http://www.ctgunrights.com/00.Docs/00.ct.docs/Groton Questionaire0001.pdf

The Town of Groton contacted Sean and rescheduled his interview and fingerprinting for June 5th.

The hearing will go forward on the issues, and I will be videotaping the hearing for all to see.

Chief Crowley's attitude needs to be adjusted and I can only hope the board sends a very loud message.

Shawn Mitola

WOW... what an ASS. He admits that he filed his application by mail and in person but on the same form he claims that no application was submitted... asshat.

davidmcbeth

Banned
He is claiming that he did not complete the application process. Not well written but that's the gist.

Sounds like another ace cop - a HS graduate, maybe.

LQM

Really?

WOW... what an ASS. He admits that he filed his application by mail and in person but on the same form he claims that no application was submitted... asshat.

I saw the same thing. Question 8, to be exact, personally and by certified mail; which would imply someone signed for it upon receipt.

Still, August for a fingerprint appointment? Really? It seems we are veering back to the thinking that as long as I promise to do something then due process is not in question.

Rich B

I saw the same thing. Question 8, to be exact, personally and by certified mail; which would imply someone signed for it upon receipt.

And that is why this is a perfect challenge. It isn't everyday that a local issuing authority makes such an easy challenge.

Still, August for a fingerprint appointment? Really? It seems we are veering back to the thinking that as long as I promise to do something then due process is not in question.

We beat them back for a while, but for some reason they seem to be empowered by this legislative session even though this part of the law really didn't change very much. Your guess is as good as mine about what they are thinking.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Why do they do this? Because they know that there is NO DOWNSIDE for them. I was just at an admin hearing where a cop lied under oath, their attorney lied .. all were caught but hearing officer did not care.

I would be asking this chief some background questions like: did you graduate high school, college, etc...get it on the record that he's an uneducated dolt.

PavePusher

Why do they do this? Because they know that there is NO DOWNSIDE for them. I was just at an admin hearing where a cop lied under oath, their attorney lied .. all were caught but hearing officer did not care.

I would be asking this chief some background questions like: did you graduate high school, college, etc...get it on the record that he's an uneducated dolt.

It occurs to me that there are lot of non-college-educated people on this board that are both highly informed on many topics, and very intelligent. Please be a little less elitist in your critiques.

Needforspeed1060

Wow!

I still can't believe what I just read.... I viewed the PDF of the questionnaire and I am apauled!
And I thought my case was bad. I do hope the board dose the right thing on this one.
I do think being a serviceman is irevaualnt. I say this not in any disrespect. But even if this happend to a non millatry person it's still against the law regardless. I am a coast guard auxliarist and a per diem DHS employee that held no weight at my board hearing. :banghead:

Skinnedknuckles

well, the chief isn't one of them, is he?

From the Groton Patch Oct 28, 2011 (http://groton.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/new-groton-town-police-chief-deputy-chief-sworn-in)

Crowley has been with the Groton department since May 1985 and has served as patrol officer, acting detective, sergeant, lieutenant, captain, assistant chief and deputy chief. He has a bachelor's degree in criminal justice and law enforcement administration from the University of New Haven and is a graduate of the FBI National Academy.

davidmcbeth

Banned
From the Groton Patch Oct 28, 2011 (http://groton.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/new-groton-town-police-chief-deputy-chief-sworn-in)

Crowley has been with the Groton department since May 1985 and has served as patrol officer, acting detective, sergeant, lieutenant, captain, assistant chief and deputy chief. He has a bachelor's degree in criminal justice and law enforcement administration from the University of New Haven and is a graduate of the FBI National Academy.

University of New Haven ? Is that like the school needed to graduate from before one can gain entry into the University of Phoenix?

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: LEO Bashing

His official questionnaire shows his education.

Criminal justice degree = communications degree...a meaningless degree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edward Peruta

Will issues be resolved

Doapplicants have the right to submit their completed applications for TemporaryState Permits to Carry Pistols or Revolvers to the local issuing authority byU.S. Mail?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Doapplicants have the right to submit their completed applications for TemporaryState Permits to Carry Pistols or Revolvers to the local issuing authority byU.S. Mail?

Of course...regular US mail is proper service under CT Practice Book for papers ...and there is no specified method of service ... even do it by carrier pigeon ... as long as they get it, it's fine.

Last edited: