• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Details of attack on MIT officer. Who knows?

E6chevron

My understanding is that MIT police officer Sean Collier was found in his squad car with multiple gunshot wounds and unfortunately was subsequently pronounced dead at the hospital.

Are any more facts available?

Was he carrying a firearm?

Able to return fire?

Wearing a protective vest?

Attacked when outside his vehicle, investigating a disturbance, ... or what?

He seems to have a reputation as a reasonable and responsible LEO. He will be missed.

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

I found this:

Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev only had one real gun and one pellet gun. Investigators believe because the officer's holster had a locking system, they apparently couldn't get the gun out.

Officer Sean Collier was shot in the head execution-style while sitting in his patrol car.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_1...tsarnaev-brothers-killed-officer-for-his-gun/

At 5:10 p.m. Thursday, investigators of the bombings release photographs and video of two suspects. They ask for the public's help in identifying the men.

I would think the MIT officer would be privy to such information. Photos, descriptions.

At 10:30 p.m., this MIT campus police officer, responding to a disturbance is found shot in his vehicle, apparently in a confrontation with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Wanted his gun .... I think I just mentioned about how I don't need a gun if they already have them as I would just steal theirs ...

Lucky the guy had 1 gun ... otherwise two cops would have been dead ...

Boston bombers should be forced to listen to Rose O'Donnell for the rest of their natural lives !

E6chevron

I found this:

Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev only had one real gun and one pellet gun. Investigators believe because the officer's holster had a locking system, they apparently couldn't get the gun out.

Officer Sean Collier was shot in the head execution-style while sitting in his patrol car.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_1...tsarnaev-brothers-killed-officer-for-his-gun/

At 5:10 p.m. Thursday, investigators of the bombings release photographs and video of two suspects. They ask for the public's help in identifying the men.

I would think the MIT officer would be privy to such information. Photos, descriptions.

At 10:30 p.m., this MIT campus police officer, responding to a disturbance is found shot in his vehicle, apparently in a confrontation with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects.

Thanks,

The linked article was very informative. It appears that even first time criminals, in an area with quite a bit of gun control and restrictions on ownership, have got ways to get access to firearms. It is tragic that their need to continue breaking laws and being violent, cost this officer his life. These terrorists were willing to risk attacking and killing a police officer to gain access to a firearm. Being armed was a high priority to these brothers.

I am guessing that MIT is effectively a gun free zone, if not by rules and regulations, probably as a result of no citizens carrying. Correct information about that would be appreciated.

I hope to live someday in a world where CRIMINALS are in fear of armed good guys, instead of disarmed good guys in fear of armed criminals.

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

IN 1998, Massachusetts passed what was at the time the toughest gun-control legislation in the country. Among other stringencies, it banned semiautomatic “assault” weapons, imposed strict new licensing rules, prohibited anyone convicted of a violent crime or drug trafficking from ever carrying or owning a gun, and enacted severe penalties for storing guns unlocked.

There were nearly 1.5 million active gun licenses in Massachusetts in 1998. By June 2002, that number was down to just 200,000.

Massachusetts Law requires firearm owners to be licensed through their local Police Department or the Massachusetts State Police if no local licensing authority is available. A license is required by state law for buying firearms and ammunition. An applicant must have passed a State approved firearm safety course before applying for a license. All applications, interviews, fees, and fingerprinting are done at the local Police Department then sent electronically to the Massachusetts Criminal History Board for the mandatory background checks and processing. All approved applicants will receive their license from the issuing Police Department. All licensing information is stored by the Criminal History Board. Non residents who are planning on carrying in the state must apply for a temporary license to carry (LTC) through the State Police before their travel.

Unless carried or under the control of the owner, state law requires all firearms to be stored in a locked container, or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/education/hed/hed_gun_laws.htm