• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If stopped by cops, what do I say?

F

Fenix

I noticed this comment,

...fauquier county suprisingly i have more issues which is odd being so rural. the other day i got stop by a cop and he did no like the fact i was carrying (the first time i've had in issue in 5+ stops or so) but he was asking as many questions as he could and then asked to have my gun... is the legal? and i'm required to give it to him? he was trying to get me for anything and and everything he could (happened to be my birthday) at the end of a 45 + min stop with me and my lady gave me a gun and wished me a happy birthday i found the whole stop very odd he also pulled me over for no reason at all. maybe because i smiled at him when i passed just being nice

thanks very much and some of these stories and fantatsic hopefully i'll run into a few of you around the area one day.

... in another thread but no one responded to it.

If something like this happens what do you say before giving the LEO the gun?
Or if the gun is in the glove compartment and they ask if there is a weapon in the car what would you say? (Repeating "Am I free to go?" over and over in response to their questions can only go so far)

Thanks guys

carolina guy

I noticed this comment,

... in another thread but no one responded to it.

If something like this happens what do you say before giving the LEO the gun?
Or if the gun is in the glove compartment and they ask if there is a weapon in the car what would you say? (Repeating "Am I free to go?" over and over in response to their questions can only go so far)

Thanks guys

You could get a name of a good local 2A friendly attorney and if it happens again, tell the officer that if he is through with the traffic stop, and would like to get more answers to his questions that he can speak with your attorney instead, or you will be on your way.

TFred

There are lots of threads which discuss this. Of particular interest are posts by "User". We all know the search engine here stinks... but your best bet is just to spend a little time scrolling back through older threads.

TFred

F

Fenix

Well don't tell the officer that his mother fell from the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down... :p

Believe me, It didn't work the first time I was trying to be funny. :banana:

Thanks Moto!

Reasonable, I'll try that. But if he asks me to step out of the car and then he retrieves my gun from the GB then it becomes an issue.

palerider116

Officer: you appear nervous. Do you have guns or drugs in the car?

You: your eyes are glazed. Have you been eating doughnuts?

F

Fenix

When I PM you because I was arrested for being an A-hole, your paying bail.
haha.:p

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
If an LEO asked for my gun while I was in my car, I would not pass it to him. I view that as being very dangerous and if there was a second officer present, it could be disastrous. If he asked me to get out of my car and wanted to take my gun from me, I would protest by saying something like, "I do not consent to you taking my firearm but I will not resist". I would not remove it from my holster and hand it over.

carolina guy

If an LEO asked for my gun while I was in my car, I would not pass it to him. I view that as being very dangerous and if there was a second officer present, it could be disastrous. If he asked me to get out of my car and wanted to take my gun from me, I would protest by saying something like, "I do not consent to you taking my firearm but I will not resist". I would not remove it from my holster and hand it over.

My rule is, if asked to leave the car, I lock it behind me (and if I have a keyless pad on the car, I leave the keys in the ignition). If they want me out of the car for "safety", that's fine (as long as it is good weather)...but they do not get free access to the car.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
My rule is, if asked to leave the car, I lock it behind me (and if I have a keyless pad on the car, I leave the keys in the ignition). If they want me out of the car for "safety", that's fine (as long as it is good weather)...but they do not get free access to the car.

Yes, this is what I would do should this ever happen to me. Windows up, keys in hand, doors locked. If they question why, I would just say, "It's a habit I don't want to break". I actually had someone on another website (cars) tell me that if I did something like this, I would be thrown on the ground, knee in the back, and cuffed. I think he worded it like, "I a driver did that to me...." which would seem to indicate he was an LEO. Don't recall which state he was in, but that's one heck of an attitude.

Fuller Malarkey

I was in Panera Bread in Winchester Sunday. I'm facing the window looking onto Pleasant Valley Dr. A Jeep Cherokee pulls in and parks nose to the street, rear end to me. Within moments, in pulls a Winchester PD car, then another. Officer #1 walks up to driver and after just a few moments opens the Jeep door and the driver puts his feet on the ground with his hands at about shoulder height. Officer #1 has door blocked open standing between driver and the door.. Officer #2 takes driver to front of cop cars. Officer #1 leaned into the driver area, rummaged and then began jabbing his index finger at the passenger.

It appears methods of maintaining access have been worked out.

The two in the Jeep came in and sat in my area. Both Shenandoah U. students. Cops said they had made a left turn on a red without stopping. No ticket. They were taking it all a lot better than I would have.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

When I PM you because I was arrested for being an A-hole, you're paying bail.
haha.:p

You can never go wrong with complimenting the officer....
CAP: Okay. Damn that guy’s got legs.
(Referring to the arrival of an officer driving a police pickup truck with a bicycle on the back.
AB: I worked really hard for that.
AB: How’s everything
CAP: It hurts when I pee.
AB: .................................

.... Some of us have been taught anti-interrogation techniques.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Yes, this is what I would do should this ever happen to me. Windows up, keys in hand, doors locked. If they question why, I would just say, "It's a habit I don't want to break". I actually had someone on another website (cars) tell me that if I did something like this, I would be thrown on the ground, knee in the back, and cuffed. I think he worded it like, "I a driver did that to me...." which would seem to indicate he was an LEO. Don't recall which state he was in, but that's one heck of an attitude.

Sounds like he was wanting to help the OP buy a new house, courtesy of the state and the responding "LEO". :)

carolina guy

I was in Panera Bread in Winchester Sunday. I'm facing the window looking onto Pleasant Valley Dr. A Jeep Cherokee pulls in and parks nose to the street, rear end to me. Within moments, in pulls a Winchester PD car, then another. Officer #1 walks up to driver and after just a few moments opens the Jeep door and the driver puts his feet on the ground with his hands at about shoulder height. Officer #1 has door blocked open standing between driver and the door.. Officer #2 takes driver to front of cop cars. Officer #1 leaned into the driver area, rummaged and then began jabbing his index finger at the passenger.

It appears methods of maintaining access have been worked out.

The two in the Jeep came in and sat in my area. Both Shenandoah U. students. Cops said they had made a left turn on a red without stopping. No ticket. They were taking it all a lot better than I would have.

:confused: This is SOP for that department to get that close to a person during a vehicle stop??

Fuller Malarkey

:confused: This is SOP for that department to get that close to a person during a vehicle stop??

Dunno. The cop opened the door, hand on the door frame and stepped back a tad, the kid put his feet out, not touching the ground and stood up, hands up. Cop #1 had his left leg planted in front of door as Cop #2 had driver by left arm and collar and led driver to front of squad car.

Driver wasn't frisked, passenger didn't get out until after the police pulled away.

papa bear

The one time i was pulled and the LEO wanted to take my firearm. i replied, "for all our safety the gun should remain where it is and no one touch it". he tried to insist but i said "no i decline for you to touch it for both our safety". he left it alone. but he didn't like it

if he had tried to take it i would not have resisted , but he didn't know that

carolina guy

The one time i was pulled and the LEO wanted to take my firearm. i replied, "for all our safety the gun should remain where it is and no one touch it". he tried to insist but i said "no i decline for you to touch it for both our safety". he left it alone. but he didn't like it

if he had tried to take it i would not have resisted , but he didn't know that

Were you still in the car, or did he have you get out?