Thread: Backpacking and open carry

Backpacking and open carry

Hi this is my first post and I have only lurked around here for a little while. You all seem like a good bunch.

I have a question about hiking/backpacking and open carry. My fiance and I have a CPL and small game license. Now, we want to go backpacking in the U.P. (and some L.P.) this summer. She will conceal or open carry her Glock and I will open carry a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 magnum 7.5". The reason for this is only for protection from 2 and 4 legged critters (which I understand can grow quite large in the U.P.) I have reviewed Federal (National Forest) and State laws and it only looks like some buildings in National Forests ban firearms. Otherwise I cannot find anything saying that we cannot do this. Do you guys know of any laws? What about designated campsites on the trails, etc?

Also I would like to pack my 7 inch Kabar in the backpack. I don't really know if that's fine either. We both usually carry a folding pocket knife that's under 3" in length because of the weird knife law that I read and doesn't make much sense.

Thanks.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Open carry of a handgun is generally not allowed in National Forests.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5066182.pdf

Don't confuse Nat'l Forests and National Parks (NPS) where state law prevails.

Someone will be along shortly to give you the local take on this.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-25-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by radiotom View Post
    Hi this is my first post and I have only lurked around here for a little while. You all seem like a good bunch.

I have a question about hiking/backpacking and open carry. My fiance and I have a CPL and small game license. Now, we want to go backpacking in the U.P. (and some L.P.) this summer. She will conceal or open carry her Glock and I will open carry a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 magnum 7.5". The reason for this is only for protection from 2 and 4 legged critters (which I understand can grow quite large in the U.P.) I have reviewed Federal (National Forest) and State laws and it only looks like some buildings in National Forests ban firearms. Otherwise I cannot find anything saying that we cannot do this. Do you guys know of any laws? What about designated campsites on the trails, etc?

Also I would like to pack my 7 inch Kabar in the backpack. I don't really know if that's fine either. We both usually carry a folding pocket knife that's under 3" in length because of the weird knife law that I read and doesn't make much sense.

Thanks.

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/prog.../welcome.shtml Seems to put the burden on State & Local regulations;

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0%2C1607...84--%2C00.html May be other tabs to check on site, but this should cover it.

One thing to be on the lookout for/from, is the dreaded Red Flanneled Luster; easily identified by its' call of "Yoop, yoop, YOOOOOOOOOOP!!!
    That and its propensity to arrive driving an old rusted out 4x4...immediately surrender any & all libations(beer is best) and move slowly away
    Attachment 10308
    Last edited by Lurchiron; 04-25-2013 at 09:37 AM.
    Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

Quote Originally Posted by Lurchiron View Post
    That and its propensity to arrive driving a old rusted out 4x4...
    I sold that one thank you
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I sold that one thank you
    I gave mine to my Mother-in-law...
    Attachment 10309
    Bale da Hay

Quote Originally Posted by Lurchiron View Post
    http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/prog.../welcome.shtml Seems to put the burden on State & Local regulations;

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0%2C1607...84--%2C00.html May be other tabs to check on site, but this should cover it.

One thing to be on the lookout for/from, is the dreaded Red Flanneled Luster; easily identified by its' call of "Yoop, yoop, YOOOOOOOOOOP!!!
    That and its propensity to arrive driving an old rusted out 4x4...immediately surrender any & all libations(beer is best) and move slowly away
    Attachment 10308
    Beer is best!
    Rand Paul 2016

Re: Backpacking and open carry

I OC everywhere... Especially when on the Apalation trail. You never know whay you will encounter.... :thumbup:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Your cite is for Virginia.

In Michigan you can have a firearm in accordance to all state laws. You can hunt/OC EVEN on Sundays in National Forests in Michigan. National Parks also follow state law, although the prohibition on firearms in Federal building is enforced.

So back-packing in national forests is the same as for state forests, except for in federal buildings. You can carry in State buildings.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    Beer is best!

Diddya cee da 30 poinder???

Bale da Hay

I thought it was the total opposite of this. I thought that open carry was generally ALLOWED in National Forests because it follows State law. So it would only matter if your State has goofy laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Your cite is for Virginia.

In Michigan you can have a firearm in accordance to all state laws. You can hunt/OC EVEN on Sundays in National Forests in Michigan. National Parks also follow state law, although the prohibition on firearms in Federal building is enforced.

So back-packing in national forests is the same as for state forests, except for in federal buildings. You can carry in State buildings.
    State and National Parks are good too, right? With a CPL is there even anywhere other than Federal property that you cannot OPEN CARRY?

State and National Parks are good too, right? With a CPL is there even anywhere other than Federal property that you cannot OPEN CARRY?
    Courtrooms or where court business is conducted;

(Administrative Order 2001-1 of the Michigan Supreme Court: "Weapons are not permitted in any
    courtroom, office, or other space used for official court business or by judicial employees unless
    the chief judge or other person designated by the chief judge has given prior approval
    consistent with the court's written policy.)

in the secure area of an airport (MCL 259.80f)
    Last edited by DrTodd; 04-26-2013 at 11:39 AM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Courtrooms or where court business is conducted;

(Administrative Order 2001-1 of the Michigan Supreme Court: "Weapons are not permitted in any
    courtroom, office, or other space used for official court business or by judicial employees unless
    the chief judge or other person designated by the chief judge has given prior approval
    consistent with the court's written policy.)

in the secure area of an airport (MCL 259.80f)
    Thanks. I'm just gonna start open carrying everywhere except places where there are plenty of sheep. Including on our backpacking trips!

For a person without a CPL, or recognized out-of-state equivalent, open carry in Michigan is terrible. The number of places where one may not carry (possess) a pistol is probably more than any other state. However, with a CPL, or recognized out-of-state equivalent, Michigan is one of the best states to open carry for the reason covered in my last post.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Thanks. I'm just gonna start open carrying everywhere except places where there are plenty of sheep. Including on our backpacking trips!
    Memorize this. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...2_336854_7.pdf
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Good read, I printed it out. Thanks. I thought you could conceal carry at banks though?

Good read, I printed it out. Thanks. I thought you could conceal carry at banks though?
    You can, with a CPL.

Banks are different from Federal Reserve Banks, though, in which you are not allowed to carry.

Thumbs up

DO NOT FORGET Private Property Rules = Some do not allow any firearms in or on their property(Stores,businesses etc.)! CARRY ON!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by drtodd View Post
    for a person without a cpl, or recognized out-of-state equivalent, open carry in michigan is terrible. The number of places where one may not carry (possess) a pistol is probably more than any other state. However, with a cpl, or recognized out-of-state equivalent, michigan is one of the best states to open carry for the reason covered in my last post.
    got that right! Constitutional carry! Repeal all firearm laws! Repeat refrain!!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Really?

where is the page that link orginated from? In Washington all the National Forest Lands carry is legal and they use assimilative jurisdiction and enforce state law, I specifically spoke about that very topic to several sworn Forest Service LE rangers. I've spoken to them out of hunting season while open carrying on FS lands (when one asked if I'd witnessed anything relating to a vehicle crash that occured nearby.... If this is the rule, then the FS does a terrible job of educating their enforcers about it....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Really?

where is the page that link orginated from? In Washington all the National Forest Lands carry is legal and they use assimilative jurisdiction and enforce state law, I specifically spoke about that very topic to several sworn Forest Service LE rangers. I've spoken to them out of hunting season while open carrying on FS lands (when one asked if I'd witnessed anything relating to a vehicle crash that occured nearby.... If this is the rule, then the FS does a terrible job of educating their enforcers about it....
    Have already had that mispost corrected on this thread by others - Thought I was in Va. Had a senior moment.

Have already had that mispost corrected on this thread by others - Thought I was in Va. Had a senior moment.
    yes, I see that now, but your comment was at the top and I replied without reading every other comment below it, my apologies, although, just to be fair, you had a cite and I only have word of mouth from cops....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

beer and pasties should be kept on hand to calm any you happen to come across.

its legal in MI, whenever im up in the hiawatha im always carrying.

--Mod error--returned to original condition
    Ol' dog learns new trick - bad dog.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-30-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.