• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in car

FORD78

It may have been covered here before but i dont recall seeing it. Obviously i know and have read and know the laws a zillion times with and with out cpl about transporting a firearm in car. Has there ever been any type of bill introduced that would allow open carry in car with out a cpl? For those with no cpl, either who cannot get one or do not wish to get one but are legal to open carry. Im just looking at it from a safety stand point those who open carry with no cpl are forced to load and unload weapon repeatedly. Which we all know depending on what type of firearm, is one of the most dangerous times to handle one while loading and unloading. It seems like nonsense that one is allowed to openly carry a firearm in so many places with out a cpl except while driving or even occupying their own personal vehichle. Im sure their argument would be more drive by shootings or road rage situations. Doubtful as anyone that would do either one of those 2 things is not gonna worry about any type of law anyway. Many people everyday are robbed/car jacked at gun point while entering/exiting a parking lot,sitting in traffic etc etc. Your firearm doesnt do much good unloaded cased and locked in your trunk. Even if they specified a certain place or way it had to be displayed would be much safer than locked in your trunk.

casper

I agree. One reason is with traffic stops, the police don't know who has a gun in the car, when they walk up. If you have a CPL it's in thier system. Still the benifits outweigh the negatives.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
There have been no bills introduced to allow loaded handgun carry in a car without a CPL. It would be nice and a step closer to Constitutional carry.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
MSP and other agencies are dead set against this... basically for the reason that casper stated. I think the only way to get this anytime soon is that a court would rule that an automobile is an extension of one's home and therefore concealed carry, or open carry, while in a vehicle would be a protected activity.

Haman J.T.

There have been no bills introduced to allow loaded handgun carry in a car without a CPL. It would be nice and a step closer to Constitutional carry.

And closer to the Common Knowledge of Freedom and Liberty Our Founders had and Envisioned for Us until the "progressives/marxists/liberals" Infested Our government(legislatures etc.)!! It hurts to think about it!! Aaaaarrrghh!?!

FreeInAZ

I agree. One reason is with traffic stops, the police don't know who has a gun in the car, when they walk up. If you have a CPL it's in thier system. Still the benifits outweigh the negatives.

MSP and other agencies are dead set against this... basically for the reason that casper stated. I think the only way to get this anytime soon is that a court would rule that an automobile is an extension of one's home and therefore concealed carry, or open carry, while in a vehicle would be a protected activity.

Well - it is BS! Officer safety yada...yada...yada... any cop worth their salt will simply ask from cover if they feel concerned. Are you armed? A criminal will lie or draw- a honest citizen will not. AZ is far ahead in some aspects of the concept of officer conduct and freedom.
ETA- AZ takes the opposite approach - one must only disclose if asked by a LEO. We all know that thousands of AZ officers are killed every day because of this trust in law abiding citizens...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

Well - it is BS! Officer safety yada...yada...yada... any cop worth their salt will simply ask from cover if they feel concerned. Are you armed? A criminal will lie or draw- a honest citizen will not. AZ is far ahead in some aspects of the concept of officer conduct and freedom.
ETA- AZ takes the opposite approach - one must only disclose if asked by a LEO. We all know that thousands of AZ officers are killed every day because of this trust in law abiding citizens...:rolleyes:
Yada is Right! There's never any mention of the officers employers! "The People", who's Rights they're supposed to be protecting, are never mentioned! From now on We should bring "The Peoples Rights and Safety" up when this childish BS is mentioned! When "We The People" are in Our vehicle, We should have Every avenue for Our Own Safety, regardless of what officers (Our Employees/servants/fellow Citizens) or others "feel"! It's not about "feelings", it's about "The Reality of Our Right to Stay Alive 24/7" in Our cars, homes and everywhere We have a Right to Be!! We got a lot of work to do!! CARRY ON!

casper

Yada is Right! There's never any mention of the officers employers! "The People", who's Rights they're supposed to be protecting, are never mentioned! From now on We should bring "The Peoples Rights and Safety" up when this childish BS is mentioned! When "We The People" are in Our vehicle, We should have Every avenue for Our Own Safety, regardless of what officers (Our Employees/servants/fellow Citizens) or others "feel"! It's not about "feelings", it's about "The Reality of Our Right to Stay Alive 24/7" in Our cars, homes and everywhere We have a Right to Be!! We got a lot of work to do!! CARRY ON!
A big +1.

FORD78

A big +1.

I just dont see how they can "legaly" rule that a car is not an extension of ones personal property. I know its their sandbox so they make the calls! If LEO need RAS to search your person home or your car then how is a car not personal property? Its certainly not public property if that were the case anyone could just hop in your car and take take a nap or a ride no questions asked. Maybe thats an extreme comparison but its about as corny as saying ones legaly owned vehichle is not their personal property. Last time i checked i hold the title, registration, and bill of sale to my vehichles. Even for CPL holders when pulled over and plate is run and you come back as a legal CPL holder, You may or may not have a firearm with you. Or it may not even be you in your car. There is no way of knowing until you disclose to LEO you are carrying a fire arm. I see it as revenue more than safety. Compose a long detailed list of ways you can or cannot transport a firearm and then there are many many ways to inturpret or twist the law (excellent chance to slip a sketchy citation by courts) for LEO. Probably nothing can be changed with transport laws but it really shouldnt have to be so confusing should it?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I just dont see how they can "legaly" rule that a car is not an extension of ones personal property. I know its their sandbox so they make the calls! If LEO need RAS to search your person home or your car then how is a car not personal property? Its certainly not public property if that were the case anyone could just hop in your car and take take a nap or a ride no questions asked. Maybe thats an extreme comparison but its about as corny as saying ones legaly owned vehichle is not their personal property. Last time i checked i hold the title, registration, and bill of sale to my vehichles. Even for CPL holders when pulled over and plate is run and you come back as a legal CPL holder, You may or may not have a firearm with you. Or it may not even be you in your car. There is no way of knowing until you disclose to LEO you are carrying a fire arm. I see it as revenue more than safety. Compose a long detailed list of ways you can or cannot transport a firearm and then there are many many ways to inturpret or twist the law (excellent chance to slip a sketchy citation by courts) for LEO. Probably nothing can be changed with transport laws but it really shouldnt have to be so confusing should it?

Your question:
"I just don't see how they can "legaly" rule that a car is not an extension of ones personal property."

I don't think it has ever been argued..at least I haven't seen it. Do you have a citation where a Michigan court has actually ruled against someone arguing that?