Thread: Spokane Sheriff's Deputy talks about Open Carry

Spokane Sheriff's Deputy talks about Open Carry

Skip to about the 3:40 mark. Not bad for a Cop, not perfect but a few years ago the answer would have been way different We have come a long way in the last few years, congratulations to everyone that had and still has the intestinal fortitude to stuck their necks out in the beginning, you know who you are.

http://www.khq.com/category/195686/v...autostart=true
    Last edited by Jeff Hayes; 04-25-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Well given the short time he talked on the subject, it was pretty good as he covered it was legal to open carry, only needed to have a concealed pistol license when concealing and to be aware of your conduct while carrying as not to intimidate others as it can create issues.

Jeff it is a good move in the right direction for Spokane from just a couple years ago.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

I just watched that too. It kind of came out of nowhere because the question was about the length of a blade to be able to conceal... It was nice though that he incorporated that into his answer as maybe some more people will now be aware that is is perfectly fine to carry a pistol on your hip in the open!

-Thor

P.S.
    This reminds me that I need to reach out to the Sheriff again, he said he would call me back with anymore info from the County Legal Dept about requiring a CPL to check a pistol at the courthouse and its been a month or so and I haven't heard from him. This helps out the case a little bit more since the deputy said ON AIR that a CPL is not required to carry a handgun.....
    Let me make a short, opening, blanket statement. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody - except bad people.

- Charleton Heston

Quote Originally Posted by Thor80 View Post
    I just watched that too. It kind of came out of nowhere because the question was about the length of a blade to be able to conceal... It was nice though that he incorporated that into his answer as maybe some more people will now be aware that is is perfectly fine to carry a pistol on your hip in the open!

-Thor

P.S.
    This reminds me that I need to reach out to the Sheriff again, he said he would call me back with anymore info from the County Legal Dept about requiring a CPL to check a pistol at the courthouse and its been a month or so and I haven't heard from him. This helps out the case a little bit more since the deputy said ON AIR that a CPL is not required to carry a handgun.....
    Why ask the Sheriff? Does it say in the RCW that a CPL is required to check a firearm? If not then he has no right to demand one.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Why ask the Sheriff? Does it say in the RCW that a CPL is required to check a firearm? If not then he has no right to demand one.
    So to keep it on topic, the reason it reminded me is because now there is a SCSO Public Information Officer (Deputy Chamberlain who was featured in the video) on-air stating that there is no license required to "carry" only to "conceal". The reason I brought up the Sheriff is that when I reached out via Spokane County website, they had the Sheriff call me presumably because his dept is in charge of Courthouse Security. I brought up several points and the Sheriff ended up agreeing with my points and said he would contact County Legal since the Court Security Procedures (CPL Requirement to Check a Pistol) were adopted and instituted by the County/Commissioners and that's the route they would have to go to get them changed.......

-Thor
    Let me make a short, opening, blanket statement. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody - except bad people.

- Charleton Heston