• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane Sheriff's Deputy talks about Open Carry

Jeff Hayes

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Well given the short time he talked on the subject, it was pretty good as he covered it was legal to open carry, only needed to have a concealed pistol license when concealing and to be aware of your conduct while carrying as not to intimidate others as it can create issues.

Jeff it is a good move in the right direction for Spokane from just a couple years ago.

Thor80

I just watched that too. It kind of came out of nowhere because the question was about the length of a blade to be able to conceal... It was nice though that he incorporated that into his answer as maybe some more people will now be aware that is is perfectly fine to carry a pistol on your hip in the open!

-Thor

P.S.
This reminds me that I need to reach out to the Sheriff again, he said he would call me back with anymore info from the County Legal Dept about requiring a CPL to check a pistol at the courthouse and its been a month or so and I haven't heard from him. This helps out the case a little bit more since the deputy said ON AIR that a CPL is not required to carry a handgun.....

amlevin

I just watched that too. It kind of came out of nowhere because the question was about the length of a blade to be able to conceal... It was nice though that he incorporated that into his answer as maybe some more people will now be aware that is is perfectly fine to carry a pistol on your hip in the open!

-Thor

P.S.
This reminds me that I need to reach out to the Sheriff again, he said he would call me back with anymore info from the County Legal Dept about requiring a CPL to check a pistol at the courthouse and its been a month or so and I haven't heard from him. This helps out the case a little bit more since the deputy said ON AIR that a CPL is not required to carry a handgun.....

Why ask the Sheriff? Does it say in the RCW that a CPL is required to check a firearm? If not then he has no right to demand one.

Thor80

Why ask the Sheriff? Does it say in the RCW that a CPL is required to check a firearm? If not then he has no right to demand one.

So to keep it on topic, the reason it reminded me is because now there is a SCSO Public Information Officer (Deputy Chamberlain who was featured in the video) on-air stating that there is no license required to "carry" only to "conceal". The reason I brought up the Sheriff is that when I reached out via Spokane County website, they had the Sheriff call me presumably because his dept is in charge of Courthouse Security. I brought up several points and the Sheriff ended up agreeing with my points and said he would contact County Legal since the Court Security Procedures (CPL Requirement to Check a Pistol) were adopted and instituted by the County/Commissioners and that's the route they would have to go to get them changed.......

-Thor