Well... We stopped the ineffectual gun laws at the Fed level (for now), but we have to watch the city, county, and state levels.
Multnomah county has just passed (5-0) several laws that will do nothing to stop gun violence.
THESE TAKE EFFECT IN 30 DAYS (25 MAY 2013) !!!
1) No loaded carry in public places. This is allowed under state preemption, BUT like Portland, magazine must also be unloaded, this makes self-defense or defense of others next to impossible, and this unloaded mag requirement is VOID under ORS 166.170. Several exemptions, including CHL, but how does anyone know if you have a CHL or are unloaded? Stop & detain & search... gives excuse for bypassing 4th amendment rights.
2) Unlawful to discharge a firearm. Already covered under state law... redundant. This could effect rural areas of Multnomah county where people can currently target shoot on their own land, not sure on this.
3) Endangering a child by allowing access to a firearm. At least it doesn't require locked up or disabled (they have tried to pass this), but law abiding persons keep positive control of their firearms. This will only come into effect if a kids do get hold of a weapon and there is an incident, at which time you have much more to worry about than 10 days jail & $500. Also, surprise home inspections by DHS could be an issue.
4) Failure to report theft of firearm. Doesn't stop crime, but penalizes the victims of crime. Law abiding persons are going to report theft of valuables (firearms are spendy), but $2500 fine if you don't within 48 hrs and have the serial number $200 administrative fine.
5) Curfew for minors with a previous weapons conviction. Ok, but how do you enforce this if other minors can be out later... stop & ID every minor that is out after the special curfew but before the normal curfew? Stop & detain & search... gives excuse for bypassing 4th amendment rights of minors.