• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DHS using roughly 1,000 rounds of ammunition more per person than the U.S. Army

ps1mhd

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...gency-using-1000-more-rounds-per-person-than/

That's around 32 rounds per week per LEO! What other LE agency does that?
Does the DHS really have 70,000 armed field agents?
DHS includes the USCG and when I was in we used about 50 to 100 rounds of 40cal every 6 months.
If you qualify the 1st time 50 2nd time 100.
Counting pistol, M16, shotgun and M240(once per year) I don't think I fired more than 500 rds per year.
I don't believe these numbers include the Guard we got some if not all of our ammo from DOD.
Numbers just don't add up :question:

Mike

Aknazer

Man it looks like I went into the wrong branch of the military if I wanted to be properly trained. And they get to do their training with JHPs instead of the ball or frangible rounds that I have to use.

eye95

Lessee....1.6 billion rounds divided by 300-odd million folks in the US....that's about 5 rounds per person....yep, that'll keep us in line!

MKEgal

eye95 said:
Lessee... 1.6 billion rounds divided by 300-odd million folks in the US... that's about 5 rounds per person... yep, that'll keep us in line!
Under stress, that's 2-3 shots that land. Enough for a failure drill. :eek:

Aceman7496

Man it looks like I went into the wrong branch of the military if I wanted to be properly trained. And they get to do their training with JHPs instead of the ball or frangible rounds that I have to use.

I don't care too much about the amount purchased as I do not know their plan for its use. Their excuse of it being a multi-year deal may be legit, I'm just not sure. Point being is that I could see a logical reason being produced for this remarkably large purchase.

What I cannot get over, however, is their choice of purchasing JHP's. My understanding is the JHP's are prohibited from being used by the military due to some international agreement. The question I want answered is, "Whom does DHS expect to need to use JHP's against and why purchase JHP's over FMJ's while we're in this awful economic state?" I'm honestly nervous to hear/learn the true answer to that question.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Lessee....1.6 billion rounds divided by 300-odd million folks in the US....that's about 5 rounds per person....yep, that'll keep us in line!

Maybe they intend on gluing them all together and rolling the large ball over us thereby squishing us.

Aknazer

I don't care too much about the amount purchased as I do not know their plan for its use. Their excuse of it being a multi-year deal may be legit, I'm just not sure. Point being is that I could see a logical reason being produced for this remarkably large purchase.

What I cannot get over, however, is their choice of purchasing JHP's. My understanding is the JHP's are prohibited from being used by the military due to some international agreement. The question I want answered is, "Whom does DHS expect to need to use JHP's against and why purchase JHP's over FMJ's while we're in this awful economic state?" I'm honestly nervous to hear/learn the true answer to that question.

Read the article again. They (the DHS) are using 1300-1600 rounds per officer PER YEAR compared to the ~350 rounds used per soldier per year in the Army. Also in the article they state that the DHS uses ~100+MILLION rounds a year on it's 70,000 officers (which is how they figured out how many rounds-per-officer were used per year). Now I don't know about you, but I haven't heard of any open wars on our streets. This means that they are either using those 100+million rounds of JHP for training or they are siphoning them off and giving them to other agencies improperly. You will also notice that the DHS doesn't refute the amount of rounds-per-officer being used. So no, I wouldn't say that their multi-year deal is "legit" because they only "need" so many rounds because of how many rounds their officers get to use per year. If they used the 350 rounds like the Army then they would only need 24.5m a year and not the 100m+ that they currently use.

Oh and a little note. The AF only uses 90rds to qualify on the handgun (45 practice and 45 to qual). Even in the arming group that requires you to qual every 6 months that is only 180 rounds a year. Now when we qual on the M4/M16 it's ~200 rounds but not everyone qualifies on that and you need even fewer civilian officers (preferably no officers) qual'd on assault rifles. And that Army number appears to be their total rounds used across all weapons. So really the amount of rounds needed to keep someone current on just a pistol are far less than that 350 number.

Moving on to the JHPs, the military can't use JHPs against "enemy combatants" due to the Hague Convention. The military can (and does) use JHPs for stateside base defense where the use is in civilian policing and not against invading enemy combatants. Also note that depending on the range, some bases use frangible rounds instead of actual ball ammo as it helps save the range due to their design (always funny when someone hits the metal bar holding their target causing the round to disentigrate and take the head off of the target from the bullet shrapnel). Frangible rounds are more expensive than ball, but cheaper than JHPs. I'm not against officers using JHPs in their duty guns (though I do question why they have 70k officers), the issue is using them for training instead of cheaper ammo for training.

As for why purchase JHPs over FMJ/frangible rounds, it's because it's just monopoly money and there's no real accountability for them. Which is also probably why they get to shoot so much as well. I mean if you weren't footing the bill and wouldn't get in trouble for doing so, would you turn down the chance to go to the range?

Last edited:

mikeyb

Stockpiling? Sure. What for? Border wars? Civil unrest?

Let's look at who the DHS oversees and would be using these billions and billions of rounds:

Agencies
Transportation Security Administration
Customs and Border Protection
Citizenship and Immigration Services
Immigration and Customs Enforcement
United States Coast Guard
Federal Emergency Management Agency
United States Secret Service

Divisions
DHS National Protection and Programs Directorate
DHS Science and Technology Directorate
DHS Management Directorate
DHS Office of Policy
DHS Office of Health Affairs
DHS Office of Intelligence and Analysis
DHS Office of Operations Coordination
Domestic Nuclear Detection Office
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center

WalkingWolf

I wasn't too concerned until I saw what took place in Boston, they clearly used Boston for training. I dismissed it at first but I now believe we have dark days in store for us.

sudden valley gunner

There could be another angle to this too. Remember Iran/Contra affair. These rounds might be making it to foreign nations or groups that the government doesn't want us to know it's supplying.......just a thought I had.

Aknazer

Because our bullets work so well against technologically advanced aliens! :cool:

Hey didn't you see that one episode where they basically said that one of humanity's advantagez is that everyone else is so advanced that they forget to think stupid and only account for other technology on their level. So our bullets do work in the right situatuons!

PavePusher

So, the problem here seems to be that the military isn't being trained well enough in shooting skills. As a 22+ year member of the USAF, I can vouch for that fact....

Aknazer

So, the problem here seems to be that the military isn't being trained well enough in shooting skills. As a 22+ year member of the USAF, I can vouch for that fact....

And yet the military does a far better job at not just indiscriminately shooting people and at hitting what they shoot at (when it isn't just suppressive fire). Sounds like the DHS needs to train less.

We-the-People

18 years in the Corps and qualified on the M16 a grand total of THREE times......the 45 ONCE and the M9 TWICE. I got to shoot more than that but not for quals, just "fun". If it weren't for my personal shooting I'd have been at a severe disadvantage.

joanie

DHS, or the American modern day version of Germany's Nazzi SS, Is probibly buying/hording up all that ammo to dry up the market on it, as they are planning a massive move against citizen gun ownership. But then I wouldn't put it past them to start using all that ammo, or much of it, on their citizens. But mostly, at least for the short term, I think they just want to make it impossible, or near impossible for those to go and purchase bullets.

I wonder if a day will come where a box of ammo, would be of more value than the gun thats shoots it.

I heard somewhere, that social security bought up a massive amount of ammo, What do they need with bullets?

davidmcbeth

Banned
And yet the military does a far better job at not just indiscriminately shooting people and at hitting what they shoot at (when it isn't just suppressive fire). Sounds like the DHS needs to train less.

The rounds of ammo per death in military combat is not one to one lol

In Korea it was about 50K to 1 .. in Vietnam it was about 1 million to one

We-the-People

The rounds of ammo per death in military combat is not one to one lol

In Korea it was about 50K to 1 .. in Vietnam it was about 1 million to one

The number I've long used, after having seen it somewhere years ago, is 57,000 rounds of small arms fire expended for every casualty inflicted in VietNam and not all casualties result in death. Injury is all that is required to be a casualty. Where did you find the 1 million per death figure?