• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brighton PNC Bank Robbery

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I haven't seen any PNC branches around Grand Rapids posted. I have heard of some banks asking customers to leave, etc. though. In my 8 years of CC/ OC in Michigan I have only seen 1 sign on a building banning firearms... and it wasn't a bank.

Edit to add: Check that... I'd see a sign if I were to go to the Grand Rapids Gun show on 28th Street. The company that runs the one at the Delta-plex allows people to OC or CC, however.. Strange/sad/unbelievable that the only place I'm likely to see a sign is a place considered a "mecca" for local gun owners.

Last edited:

TheQ

Michigan Open Carry used to bank at PNC. Corporate told us OC was no problem. The treasurer got kicked out of his two local branches and I got kicked out of my local branch -- for OC. Corporate refused to bank up and preempt the local manager, so we closed our accounts.

david.ross

PNC corp will tell you there is no firearms policy. They'll kick belligerent people out, so don't be an ass.

As for TheQ, he definitely didn't speak to the right people, I've always went up the chain to the top.

My advice, always wear nice clothes or some sort of uniform-like style. Don't wear clothes simulating the hipster look, cheap look, etc. I'll gladly wear walmart clothes outside of my usual tactical pants and a polo shirt, but you'll always see me wearing a nice shirt(dress, polo, turtle neck, etc). I know this is harsh, but if you look poor/lower class and you're open carrying, then expect a negative result.

Last edited:

autosurgeon

PNC corp will tell you there is no firearms policy. They'll kick belligerent people out, so don't be an ass.

As for TheQ, he definitely didn't speak to the right people, I've always went up the chain to the top.

My advice, always wear nice clothes or some sort of uniform-like style. Don't wear clothes simulating the hipster look, cheap look, etc. I'll gladly wear walmart clothes outside of my usual tactical pants and a polo shirt, but you'll always see me wearing a nice shirt(dress, polo, turtle neck, etc). I know this is harsh, but if you look poor/lower class and you're open carrying, then expect a negative result.

You sir are full of crap. I open carried in both branches dressed in a polo shirt and brand new jeans. I am positive it had nothing to do with how I was dressed. I know how the Q dresses so I doubt he was dressed like a banger either. You are making so many assumptions it is absurd.

Corporate has no policy other than to allow the local manager to allow or disallow whatever suits them on that day. Thus we will not do business with them.

TCF has never blinked an eye about us OCing and have provided us great service.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Michigan Open Carry used to bank at PNC. Corporate told us OC was no problem. The treasurer got kicked out of his two local branches and I got kicked out of my local branch -- for OC. Corporate refused to bank up and preempt the local manager, so we closed our accounts.

Sort of like Walmart did with me...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
You sir are full of crap. I open carried in both branches dressed in a polo shirt and brand new jeans. I am positive it had nothing to do with how I was dressed. I know how the Q dresses so I doubt he was dressed like a banger either. You are making so many assumptions it is absurd.

Corporate has no policy other than to allow the local manager to allow or disallow whatever suits them on that day. Thus we will not do business with them.

TCF has never blinked an eye about us OCing and have provided us great service.

Perhaps you better stop shopping at Walmart then; for almost two years a certain local Walmart did the same to me... I have only started carrying since the manager moved on to...who knows where. Walmart's policy, as explained to me by corporate, is they would back up the manager if the manager truly insisted... even though if you read OCDO regularly, they are regarded as the "Mecca of OC". I also still have the recording they left on my phone stating their "policy".

BTW, my point is not to seem hostile, but I think it is a rare organization that will over-ride a manager regarding OC if she or he is adamant that it made either the manager or customers feel "uncomfortable". Also, I too was dressed in a polo...and khaki's. Sometime the way a person dresses or acts has nothing to do with being asked to leave. Sometimes it is the handgun on the carrier's hip.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

@Dr todd. Well wal-mart (or wal-tards) you pick, should stop fat people from shopping there too (could be hidding anything in the folds...Vx gas, uranium, etc). Come to think of it they should stop: middle-eastern looking folks (could be terrorists), black people with accents (could be underwear bombers) white people with bald heads (could be nazi's). You get my point. This is WAY too much power to give a single employee who then orders an entire staff to act on their irrational "feelings". :rolleyes: Preaching to the choir ... I know. :(

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Well if it makes you feel better dr. Todd I seldom if ever shop at walmart anymore. Too many idiots and poorly stocked compounded with the oc issues ....

No criticism meant, do as thou willst. I wouldn't let someone else's OC experience necessarily stop me from OCing. I've been invited back and at this point chalk it up to an "East-coast" manager who couldn't leave his view of the world wherever he came from. It still ticks me off a bit; Walmart, in my opinion, disingenuously courts both sides in regards to firearms. On one hand, their "official" policy is somewhat supportive of the firearms-carrying community by stating they follow state law...yet they are a huge sponsor of, and official partner to, the Illegitimate Mayors Against Guns. According to that group's website, Walmart videotapes all firearm sales...most likely ammo sales too.