Thread: Video Open Carry in A Michigan School

Video Open Carry in A Michigan School

Last edited by DrTodd; 04-26-2013 at 11:47 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

I wondered if that would make it onto here.

I'm thinking of editing some of the book fair footage and posting that too.

I'm also planning my next adventure. I'm wondering if open carry of a long gun in a bank would work.

The federal law on schools I understand for handguns. Does being CPL licensed allow long gun open carry? I really don't plan on doing that.

I'm happy it went so well and that the district's response was relatively calm given your advanced notification.
    Last edited by FerretMI; 04-27-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcliff View Post

I'm also planning my next adventure. I'm wondering if open carry of a long gun in a bank would work.

The federal law on schools I understand for handguns. Does being CPL licensed allow long gun open carry? I really don't plan on doing that.
    Welcome to OCDO - have you simply seen the video before or are you hinting that you are the subject therein?

Long gun carry or the promotion of long gun carry is off-topic on OCDO. Please review and become familiar with our Forum Rules.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    did you have to scan your fingerprint to enter the building? i would have said "no thanks"
    my wife and daughter generally don't notice that i'm carrying either although now that my wife carries i think she may notice a bit more.
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 04-27-2013 at 11:31 PM.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Ill try to answer this without being in violation of "the rule", and to the best of my ability.

Its a Concealed Pistol License. There is no permit to be had otherwise.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Ill try to answer this without being in violation of "the rule", and to the best of my ability.

Its a Concealed Pistol License. There is no permit to be had otherwise.
    True, however, other than being a LEO or having permission, a CPL is required to possess any firearm (750.234d) on the premises of a bank, church, stores with a liquor license, etc.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(tjb...e=mcl-750-234d

Lightbulb

Besides thanking You, I just wanted to add 2 bits of advise that were missed in Your discussion. 1st, when the mention of "training" came up, You missed the opotunity at hand to mention the only way You're able to OC in this "GFZ", is because of Your CPL training. 2nd, when You stated "the kids will be all right", You can mention Article 1 Sec. 6 of The MI Constitution states "Every Person has The Right to Keep And Bear Arms for The Defense of Himself And The State(The People/Fellow Citizens/Children)! Remember to mention "Defense of The State" means You are there to Defend "The Children And Your Fellow Law Abiding Citizens"! When I mention this to People that ask me questions in public they're completely Amazed and Always tell me they were Unaware of that FACT! The look on their Face and the resulting statement "WOW, I didn't know that" IS PRICELESS! CARRY ON BROTHER!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...-from-the-gun/
    Article on the subject.
    No comments from me, I'm already late for work...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...-from-the-gun/
    Article on the subject.
    No comments from me, I'm already late for work...
    FUQ:

Seeking to make a point about firearms, a Michigan man decided to open carry his .45-cal. handgun at his daughter’s school and later uploaded the footage to YouTube. The father says he made sure to first notify the school, the Michigan State Police, the county sheriff and other local law enforcement officials that he would be exercising his right to carry a gun.

The man behind the video told TheBlaze on Wednesday that he was not legally required to alert police or school officials that he would be carrying a gun. But rather than risk causing a panic, the man decided to let them know he would be legally carrying a firearm on school property.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.