Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 393

Thread: How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5

    How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

    Hello all this is my first post.

    10 weeks ago my wife and I submitted our pistol permit in East Windsor, CT. 9 weeks ago I the police department the status of our apps. A very nice lady in records showed me a stack of applications and said because of new laws and what happened in Newtown there has been a delay. She also told me that she had not received the results of the fingerprints.

    I would like to know what amount of time are other people experiencing in CT?

    Thanks

    Steve

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Well, I would file an appeal ... get it in cue ... with the board of firearms permit examiners ... they have a website ..

    how long does it take v. should it take ... you should have gotten your permit by now ... how long would it take if you do nothing but wait, who knows.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7
    I applied Jan 29 in Suffield. PD called me on April 12 to say it was ready. FBI fingerprint check results came back in about 6 weeks- the balance of time was the town waiting for the state.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5
    Thanks, I'm just trying to see if other people are also delayed or is it just my town.

  5. #5
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampLedge View Post
    I applied Jan 29 in Suffield. PD called me on April 12 to say it was ready. FBI fingerprint check results came back in about 6 weeks- the balance of time was the town waiting for the state.
    FBI results come back within only a couple days, every single time. the actual process takes a matter of MINUTES. the only reason it takes longer than a couple minutes for the PD to get them is because they are mailed to DESPP from the PD, and are mailed again from DESPP to the PD. anything longer than a couple days is a lie, and is the typical excuse PD's make up to BS people into waiting longer.

    every PD now seems to be using the identical excuse of "fbi results are back, but the state background check has not come back yet, we're still waiting on that."

    CT statutes plainly and simply state: the issuing authority has 5 days from when they receive the FBI background check results to issue an approval or denial. It says NOTHING about state background checks.
    CT statutes also state the entire process from the time you turn in your application to the time of approval/denial/letter of reason for delay is 8 weeks.

    if ANY of the above has gone longer than the statutes state, you need to file an appeal IMMEDIATELY.

    You need to file an appeal immediately:



    To file an appeal, follow the instructions at this link:

    http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?...4192&bfpeNav=|

    If it's been more than 8 weeks since you turned in your application; use the process listed for the 8 week delay.

    Be sure to fill out the questionnaire as well, and you MUST send in the appeal letter and questionnaire together in the same envelope to ensure you get on the list and also prompting documents to be sent to the issuing authority.

    Chances are you'll probably receive your permit before the actual appeal hearing, assuming you are eligible. If this does occur, you absolutely MUST notify the BFPE immediately upon receiving your permit so they can cancel your appeal and allow that time slot to be used by someone else in need of an appeal. Even in the rare chance that they issue your permit the same day or day after you having mailed out the letter and questionnaire, you still need to contact BFPE to let them know you mailed the information on [approx date] but that you have received your permit now.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevepala View Post
    I would like to know what amount of time are other people experiencing in CT?
    I'm in Greenwich and tomorrow marks week 10 of waiting for me. I called the department 2 weeks ago and got the same thing; a very nice lady telling me there's a delay because of Newtown, and they are waiting for a response from the state. I can't help but believe them.

    Much to the chagrin of some members on this forum, I didn't file an appeal because I'm scared they will deny me out of spite. I'd rather get my pistol permit than exercise my rights...

  7. #7
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by forhumans View Post
    I didn't file an appeal because I'm scared they will deny me out of spite.
    You have already been 'denied'. It is called an 'administrative denial' and the clock is ticking on your right to appeal.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    You have already been 'denied'. It is called an 'administrative denial' and the clock is ticking on your right to appeal.
    We have 90 days to appeal from the 8th week, and my plan is to appeal in 2 weeks.

    I'm in no rush, just playing it safe.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by forhumans View Post
    We have 90 days to appeal from the 8th week, and my plan is to appeal in 2 weeks.

    I'm in no rush, just playing it safe.
    Or at least that is what you think. You probably don't know when the actual time limit was exceeded. Contrary to what some people have spread as truth, the 8 week mark is not the first deadline, it is the last. Your deadline may have come up at 2 weeks into the process.

    It is your choice to appeal or not, but I personally think it is silly not to. There is nothing to gain by not appealing and everything to lose.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Or at least that is what you think. You probably don't know when the actual time limit was exceeded. Contrary to what some people have spread as truth, the 8 week mark is not the first deadline, it is the last. Your deadline may have come up at 2 weeks into the process.
    I don't understand... can you clarify what you mean by my deadline? I assumed if I was denied they would tell me, is this not the case?

    Either way I'll make the 90 day cut off, but thank you for your words of advice.

    I've probably tried explaining myself on here before, but let me clarify I have an expunged firearms related arrest from when I was 16 and I want to avoid any possibility they use that to deny me. I was driving a vehicle where the passenger somehow brandished a facsimile.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by forhumans View Post
    I don't understand... can you clarify what you mean by my deadline? I assumed if I was denied they would tell me, is this not the case?
    You are denied when they miss your statutory deadlines. It is an administrative denial.

    http://ctcarry.com/Permits/Timeline


    I've probably tried explaining myself on here before, but let me clarify I have an expunged firearms related arrest from when I was 16 and I want to avoid any possibility they use that to deny me. I was driving a vehicle where the passenger somehow brandished a facsimile.
    It doesn't make any difference. You are not thinking correctly about this.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5

    Call the state police records department

    Called the state police records department today. They took my name and told me because of the current back log they have not even run my fingerprints yet. I ask how much longer and she had no idea. She told me they have been overwhelmed with fingerprints.

    This brings an interesting comparison. Because I own a business that is required, because of the locations we work at, each employee must also be fingerprinted by the state. If I had a new employee fingerprinted today I would get an approval or denial in 7 business days. It is my understanding that the same agency is reviewing my employee fingerprints as does for the pistol permit.

    It is my understanding that these prints are transferred electronically to the reviewing agency.

    So why the delay?

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevepala View Post
    Called the state police records department today. They took my name and told me because of the current back log they have not even run my fingerprints yet. I ask how much longer and she had no idea. She told me they have been overwhelmed with fingerprints.

    This brings an interesting comparison. Because I own a business that is required, because of the locations we work at, each employee must also be fingerprinted by the state. If I had a new employee fingerprinted today I would get an approval or denial in 7 business days. It is my understanding that the same agency is reviewing my employee fingerprints as does for the pistol permit.

    It is my understanding that these prints are transferred electronically to the reviewing agency.

    So why the delay?
    Do not expect a truthful answer from these folks (I have caught them in sooo many lies). Move on and file your appeal.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevepala View Post
    Called the state police records department today. They took my name and told me because of the current back log they have not even run my fingerprints yet. I ask how much longer and she had no idea. She told me they have been overwhelmed with fingerprints.

    This brings an interesting comparison. Because I own a business that is required, because of the locations we work at, each employee must also be fingerprinted by the state. If I had a new employee fingerprinted today I would get an approval or denial in 7 business days. It is my understanding that the same agency is reviewing my employee fingerprints as does for the pistol permit.

    It is my understanding that these prints are transferred electronically to the reviewing agency.

    So why the delay?
    Call back: (860) 685-8341

    Ask for Louise.

    See if you get the same result.

    When did you submit the application?
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5

    Called again

    Called again and spoke with Louise, got the same results, not processed yet but she said it would be this week and returned to my town end of next week.

    Submitted app 2/19/13.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevepala View Post
    Called again and spoke with Louise, got the same results, not processed yet but she said it would be this week and returned to my town end of next week.

    Submitted app 2/19/13.
    You are way past due for an appeal.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...mit-appeals-in!
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  17. #17
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    You are way past due for an appeal.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...mit-appeals-in!
    x2, appeal immediately
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5

    The answer to my question

    Got it yesterday, it took 13 weeks.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    We collect permit experiences here: http://ctcarry.com/PermitTimes/Add
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    41
    Thanks for letting us know Stevepala! This hopefully means I should be getting mine soon since I submitted it the same day...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    We collect permit experiences here: http://ctcarry.com/PermitTimes/Add
    Cool, but where do you display the permit experiences?

  21. #21
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by forhumans View Post
    Cool, but where do you display the permit experiences?
    We don't currently display these dynamically and publicly.

    Town Total Time
    Sherman 12 Weeks (88 Days)
    Bridgeport 15 Weeks (110 Days)
    Morris --
    Guilford --
    Vernon --
    Glastonbury 8 Weeks (60 Days)
    Stamford --
    Norwich 8 Weeks (59 Days)
    Redding 7 Weeks (53 Days)
    Bristol 7 Weeks (49 Days)
    Bristol 3 Weeks (24 Days)
    Cromwell 8 Weeks (56 Days)
    Waterbury 15 Weeks (108 Days)
    North Stonington 11 Weeks (79 Days)
    Watertown --
    Farmington 5 Weeks (41 Days)
    New Milford 5 Weeks (38 Days)
    Avon 13 Weeks (95 Days)
    Waterbury 9 Weeks (65 Days)
    Derby 14 Weeks (104 Days)
    Shelton 6 Weeks (48 Days)
    New Britain --
    Clinton 5 Weeks (40 Days)
    Stamford 8 Weeks (61 Days)
    Weston 8 Weeks (56 Days)
    East Lyme 8 Weeks (58 Days)
    New Haven --
    Torrington 6 Weeks (45 Days)
    Norwalk 7 Weeks (49 Days)
    Greenwich 7 Weeks (50 Days)
    Waterbury --
    Stamford 10 Weeks (70 Days)
    Norwalk 11 Weeks (83 Days)
    Stratford 10 Weeks (72 Days)
    Manchester 4 Weeks (33 Days)
    Manchester 5 Weeks (38 Days)
    Ansonia 9 Weeks (63 Days)
    Southbury 9 Weeks (67 Days)
    Colchester 9 Weeks (67 Days)
    Seymour 10 Weeks (72 Days)
    New Britain --
    Ansonia 3 Weeks (25 Days)
    Branford --
    New Milford 8 Weeks (56 Days)
    Wallingford 10 Weeks (71 Days)
    Hamden 12 Weeks (87 Days)
    Wethersfield 7 Weeks (50 Days)
    New Haven 25 Weeks (178 Days)
    Barkhamsted --
    East Haven --
    Suffield 10 Weeks (73 Days)
    East Haven 11 Weeks (77 Days)
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Enfield CT
    Posts
    9
    My experience last year with town of enfield. I filed everything., at 4 weeks and 6 weeks I called and asked te status. No update but I asked when were my forms mailed out since I handed them in on X date. She told me. On exactly 8 weeks I called for an update, she said they were behind ,blah blah blah. 16 weeks is how far out and its only been 8 weeks. I politely but firmly told her that they are required to issue or deny my application by 8 weeks or I am suggest to file an appeal. She stop the non sense and told me she will talk to the issuing officer. 2 hrs later I receive a call that my temp will be ready tomorrow am.

    Just wanted to share my nonses I dealt with last year.
    Last edited by KydexKustomsCT; 05-21-2013 at 11:01 AM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    We don't currently display these dynamically and publicly.
    Thanks, I'll be sure to post my info if I ever get my permit!

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by forhumans View Post
    Thanks, I'll be sure to post my info if I ever get my permit!
    You have every right to be pissed .... you can still carry, just not handguns....meh? Helpful?

    We are all criminals in the eye of Connecticut government officials....

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by KydexKustomsCT View Post
    My experience last year with town of enfield. I filed everything., at 4 weeks and 6 weeks I called and asked te status. No update but I asked when were my forms mailed out since I handed them in on X date. She told me. On exactly 8 weeks I called for an update, she said they were behind ,blah blah blah. 16 weeks is how far out and its only been 8 weeks. I politely but firmly told her that they are required to issue or deny my application by 8 weeks or I am suggest to file an appeal. She stop the non sense and told me she will talk to the issuing officer. 2 hrs later I receive a call that my temp will be ready tomorrow am.

    Just wanted to share my nonses I dealt with last year.
    Can I assume that you told her that you just got done cleaning your Howitzer and decided on calling?

    You are lucky....enjoy your permit

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •