• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

toni69x

Is it required?

see post #255 of this thread for questions that must be answered ... ie at least what they ruled on before

A simple objection letter sent with the form (and just noting objection on the response line) was all I sent...they cannot ask irrelevant or immaterial questions...

Worst that can happen is that they say you must answer the question ... and you can either a) still not answer and get a dismissal that would be able to be appealed or b) provide the responses (as I did after they ruled on the objections, many in my favor ~ I only answered the questions that the secretary demanded that I answer -- stuff like motor vehicle history was gone, etc as noted in post #255 of this thread).

I had other issues with the board and their authority to ask questions during the hearing (the law does not allow them to ask witnesses questions) ~ they had a fit when I objected to their asking questions. And one can refuse to answer questions in this venue...one is not required to respond and no reason is needed, the law allows one to simply refuse w/o giving a reason. I have not seen anyone else object to their being able to ask witnesses questions -- but they clearly are not authorized by the law to ask witnesses questions, and the board is a creature of statue-they cannot do anything that the legislature does not authorize them to do and I see no statue or regulation that allows them to interrogate witnesses during the hearing (before the hearing, yes, but not during).

I'm surprised no one has filed a writ of mandamus after waiting 6 months after filing the appeal either after demanding a hearing to the board.. as one must practice with their gun every 6 mos. to maintain proficiency (per US Army and clearly 2 yrs is outrageous) and we have the right to practice ,,, and one needs a permit to transport a handgun to a range, per the law (and that's the board's opinion as well as noted in some of their memorandums on cases).

It's sending the questioner required? I mean, I printed the form to appeal due to the delay, and it was the one I intended to send.

davidmcbeth

Banned
It's sending the questioner required? I mean, I printed the form to appeal due to the delay, and it was the one I intended to send.

The questionnaire will be required. You are not required to complete and include it with your appeal paperwork but the board will simply send it to you later to complete. So you could send it in before they send it to you. Up to you if you wish to be proactive or not. Time is not really against you at this point in time.

toni69x

Speeding ticket

The questionnaire will be required. You are not required to complete and include it with your appeal paperwork but the board will simply send it to you later to complete. So you could send it in before they send it to you. Up to you if you wish to be proactive or not. Time is not really against you at this point in time.

I had a speeding ticket back in 2013. It's been over a year since then. Will a speeding ticket disqualify me? I haven't had any other infractions ever since or prior, I've only had that ticket since the cop wanted to be first. (what an assh*le) I know. I know they check every little detail and I don't want to give them a reason to deny me.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I had a speeding ticket back in 2013. It's been over a year since then. Will a speeding ticket disqualify me? I haven't had any other infractions ever since or prior, I've only had that ticket since the cop wanted to be first. (what an assh*le) I know. I know they check every little detail and I don't want to give them a reason to deny me.

If it was 30 MPH over the limit? Who knows. 10 MPH over I would not see that as an issue.

Over 30 MPH could have been considered reckless driving ... have no idea how the board would see that.

How about camera tickets in other states? What if they did not serve you properly and you don't know about it. Hence, I just objected to this section .. to prevent any "surprises"

toni69x

If it was 30 MPH over the limit? Who knows. 10 MPH over I would not see that as an issue.

Over 30 MPH could have been considered reckless driving ... have no idea how the board would see that.

How about camera tickets in other states? What if they did not serve you properly and you don't know about it. Hence, I just objected to this section .. to prevent any "surprises"

I was doing 80 on a 65. Honestly I was just trying to pass a slow car in front of me but oh well.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I was doing 80 on a 65. Honestly I was just trying to pass a slow car in front of me but oh well.

Sec. 14-222. Reckless driving. (a) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway of the state, or any road of any specially chartered municipal association or of any district organized under the provisions of chapter 105, a purpose of which is the construction and maintenance of roads and sidewalks, or in any parking area for ten cars or more or upon any private road on which a speed limit has been established in accordance with the provisions of section 14-218a or upon any school property recklessly, having regard to the width, traffic and use of such highway, road, school property or parking area, the intersection of streets and the weather conditions. The operation of a motor vehicle upon any such highway, road or parking area for ten cars or more at such a rate of speed as to endanger the life of any person other than the operator of such motor vehicle, or the operation, downgrade, upon any highway, of any motor vehicle with a commercial registration with the clutch or gears disengaged, or the operation knowingly of a motor vehicle with defective mechanism, shall constitute a violation of the provisions of this section. The operation of a motor vehicle upon any such highway, road or parking area for ten cars or more at a rate of speed greater than eighty-five miles per hour shall constitute a violation of the provisions of this section.

Whew! Close to the 85 MPH prima facia definition of reckless.

toni69x

Whew! Close to the 85 MPH prima facia definition of reckless.

I have completed my forms and ready to send them tomorrow after I speak with my local PD. I noticed it read "greater than" so wouldn't that mean someone would have to be driving 86 or above in order to receive this violation? Btw, I only objected to the driving history and my employer question.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have completed my forms and ready to send them tomorrow after I speak with my local PD. I noticed it read "greater than" so wouldn't that mean someone would have to be driving 86 or above in order to receive this violation? Btw, I only objected to the driving history and my employer question.

I guess 86 is the point of being charged with reckless, although the statue allows lower speeds to based on circumstances. I drive 100+ all the time ! Gotta get where yer going ! Been nabbed once in KY 132 MPH via radar.. won the case as KY had no max. speed limit per se, the law was "as one could safely travel" or something like that and the cop never testified I was driving unsafely (man, was the cop and prosecutor pissed when the judge said "not guilty"). The car I have today cannot do 132, I think 100 is about the fastest I can safely go.

toni69x

Wow

I guess 86 is the point of being charged with reckless, although the statue allows lower speeds to based on circumstances. I drive 100+ all the time ! Gotta get where yer going ! Been nabbed once in KY 132 MPH via radar.. won the case as KY had no max. speed limit per se, the law was "as one could safely travel" or something like that and the cop never testified I was driving unsafely (man, was the cop and prosecutor pissed when the judge said "not guilty"). The car I have today cannot do 132, I think 100 is about the fastest I can safely go.

I just called the WPD and boy was the lady on the other line rude. I was told it needed to complete its process and that they have too many blah blah blah. The usual. So I will be mailing my appeal. They would think I'd take their usual bs. :cool:

toni69x

Bfpe

So yesterday, 09/19/2014 I received a letter from the BFPE with a tentative hearing date for the appeal to heard. Hearing date: March 12, 2015
Although, I'm not quite sure on how to go on the required documents for that day.

davidmcbeth

Banned
So yesterday, 09/19/2014 I received a letter from the BFPE with a tentative hearing date for the appeal to heard. Hearing date: March 12, 2015
Although, I'm not quite sure on how to go on the required documents for that day.

They scheduled your cases w/o you giving a full answer to all their questions on the BFPE questionnaire that you completed? Which questions did you not answer? I think you said before the employer and DMV record...just confirming...it would help others in completing the form.

Last edited:

toni69x

They scheduled your cases w/o you giving a full answer to all their questions on the BFPE questionnaire that you completed? Which questions did you not answer? I think you said before the employer and DMV record...just confirming...it would help others in completing the form.

Lol pretty much. I was surprised too. They asked for no further information and scheduled me. Yeah I wrote obj for both employment and for the driving record as well.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Lol pretty much. I was surprised too. They asked for no further information and scheduled me. Yeah I wrote obj for both employment and for the driving record as well.

Well, its good that they are following the precedent that I set (I think-I did not notice any other person prior to me objecting~but I'm pretty much the biggest A-hole to gov't officials--I'm nice until they start pulling crapolla) ... but it also shows why the records at the BFPE must be open records since they make pre-hearing decisions like this and the results of these decisions get locked up behind an iron-wall. I think that its a violation of due process; people have a right to know what or how pre-hearing objections, motions, etc. were decided.

Perhaps a request for a declaratory ruling would be accepted to be made. But that does not solve the problem with keeping BFPE records closed to the public. I don't think that a state law can overturn our due process rights.

Good luck with your Board appeal.

March? Of what year? I see that they have their "ready to go" list showing Dec 2016....well beyond the 6 mo. time period that the Army requires range time to maintain proficiency, that the federal court in Ezell said was required to be allowed of a citizen. I would file a motion to amend the hearing date to six months maximum and when denied, file a mandamus motion.

Last edited:

toni69x

Well, its good that they are following the precedent that I set (I think-I did not notice any other person prior to me objecting~but I'm pretty much the biggest A-hole to gov't officials--I'm nice until they start pulling crapolla) ... but it also shows why the records at the BFPE must be open records since they make pre-hearing decisions like this and the results of these decisions get locked up behind an iron-wall. I think that its a violation of due process; people have a right to know what or how pre-hearing objections, motions, etc. were decided.

Perhaps a request for a declaratory ruling would be accepted to be made. But that does not solve the problem with keeping BFPE records closed to the public. I don't think that a state law can overturn our due process rights.

Good luck with your Board appeal.

March? Of what year? I see that they have their "ready to go" list showing Dec 2016....well beyond the 6 mo. time period that the Army requires range time to maintain proficiency, that the federal court in Ezell said was required to be allowed of a citizen. I would file a motion to amend the hearing date to six months maximum and when denied, file a mandamus motion.

Yeah I think the fact that you and other people obj before makes it easier for new people starting this process. I thought I would be scheduled for 2017 but its for March 2015. So in a couple months. Not quite sure If I should call my local PD in a couple weeks to see If they would take some pressure and approve the permit before the hearing.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yeah I think the fact that you and other people obj before makes it easier for new people starting this process. I thought I would be scheduled for 2017 but its for March 2015. So in a couple months. Not quite sure If I should call my local PD in a couple weeks to see If they would take some pressure and approve the permit before the hearing.

You should call the police .. be careful what you say, they'll repeat anything that can hurt you and "forget" anything that they say that can help.

toni69x

You should call the police .. be careful what you say, they'll repeat anything that can hurt you and "forget" anything that they say that can help.

Ufff thanks for the heads up lol. I was about to call and tell them that I was told my permit was ready before. :lol:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Ufff thanks for the heads up lol. I was about to call and tell them that I was told my permit was ready before. :lol:

But also know that the BFPE hearing is an administrative hearing so you can testify as to what he said .. hearsay is OK...so ask them why they have not issued the permit. Oh, and go there in person and tape record it .. you can record face to face conversations in CT, you cannot tape a conversation over the phone without obtaining consent.

1 party consent (ie you) for face to face
2 party consent for phone

Last edited:

toni69x

But also know that the BFPE hearing is an administrative hearing so you can testify as to what he said .. hearsay is OK...so ask them why they have not issued the permit. Oh, and go there in person and tape record it .. you can record face to face conversations in CT, you cannot tape a conversation over the phone without obtaining consent.

1 party consent (ie you) for face to face
2 party consent for phone

I am well aware now, thank you. I will try to call today which is the deadline. Today exactly it's been three months since I filed the application at my local pd.

toni69x

Guys

Well, Friday I received a call from my local PD. They said I had information missing. So right before I went to work, I stopped by and provided the three things they need. Country of origin, weight, and birth certificate or passport. It seems to me like they were somehow contacted by the BFPE since at the end of the conversation she said "You know you just filed your application not long ago right" Trying to imply something. That leads to believe that they were in fact contacted. Also she said something about her resubmitting my application, I don't know to who. I noticed the application had been reviewed already so I don't think they should take any longer and I truely hope they were in fact contacted by the BFPE to work faster. She seemed like she was told something about my application for them to actually contact me for this information. I told her if there was information missing, they could have asked for it sooner, so yeah I think she's being pushed to finish my application.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, Friday I received a call from my local PD. They said I had information missing. So right before I went to work, I stopped by and provided the three things they need. Country of origin, weight, and birth certificate or passport. It seems to me like they were somehow contacted by the BFPE since at the end of the conversation she said "You know you just filed your application not long ago right" Trying to imply something. That leads to believe that they were in fact contacted. Also she said something about her resubmitting my application, I don't know to who. I noticed the application had been reviewed already so I don't think they should take any longer and I truely hope they were in fact contacted by the BFPE to work faster. She seemed like she was told something about my application for them to actually contact me for this information. I told her if there was information missing, they could have asked for it sooner, so yeah I think she's being pushed to finish my application.

I don't see either your weight, birth certificate, or passport being needed. The BFPE will contact the other party with a questionnaire (like you filled out, just asking for different info..like why they denied your application).

I would have only provided them with those 3 things upon a written assurance that a temp permit would immediately be issued. They are not needed.

You can submit ab amended application to the chief of police, or the 1st selectmen if he wears this hat.

I doubt that the BFPE had any ex parte communications ... but I would not rule it out. You can file a record request for any such communications -- allowed under your common law rights to records.