• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

davidmcbeth

Banned
why is the appeals board backed up 2 yrs?

Because the law allows them to. Contact your legislators and see if a time limit can be put into the law for them to hear appeals.

Now with horrible PA13-3 passed, BR chks, permits and all that should now be almost immediate.

I don't see any evidence where filing an appeal leads to a faster permit; and you cannot objectively collect this data since a court ruled that the proceedings are semi-secret. Call your legislators about that too.

But I don't see where it hurts either. So, if you can file, file is my motto.

Never let it be said that I did not do the least I could have done....old adage

I at least got the BFPE to comply with filing their agendas upon the SOTS web page as the law requires and as they were not doing.

Last edited:

JeepinMaxx

Minus the knee jerk crap after Newtown, CT was pretty descent with permits. You'll probably be fine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

I agree... The delay is solely with the local PD. The state turnaround is fine. My last 4 students received their temporary permits from their respective municipalities in around 3 weeks. That wasn't discretionary short cut without background checks as allowed by law, that was the towns participating in the whole process including Federal and SFLU background checks...

Last edited:

ValleyView67

Typical that the KNOw it alls above( the ones with the strong opinions) -- have to trash others

MY friend is NOT LEO --he is in the know--becaus e he has friends who are leo--staties,know mayors,chief of police depts in his area of CT(I live in Milford and he stated what I already knew --3-4 mo--period!!!).... and the rules from Hartford are now leaning toward 4 months--period

all the stammering and carrying on will not change that--the governments are taking advantage of their power and position--

Milford in particular is very cheap--IF (as David Mcbeth once stated) they would pay for mor e help for the leo who does the applications by himself in Milford..maybe then things would work faster--but then the Chief has to sign faster--not gonna happen

so you may be technically correct about what the laws say--but those of you who trash others here-- can any of you prove that all the fuss gets you a permit faster? DOUBT IT

and these towns and cities KNOW that the appeals board is 2 years backed up--thus they have power and we do not

thanks for being so considerate--NOT!!

This is a point that I was questioning a few weeks back. I've seen no evidence that appealing makes LE move any faster. The excuse for not providing evidence is that the process is secretive. I'll buy that but the incident that I questioned was in reference to a person that had applied for a permit only one week earlier. An appeal after one week based on a comment by a clerk at the PD? Connecticut statutes can define a timeline but no entity enforces it and the issuing authorities know it, so it seems that you will get your permit when you get it. Filing appeals within the first month or two seems as if it clogs up an already congested system in an effort to make a statement.

davidmcbeth

Banned
This is a point that I was questioning a few weeks back. I've seen no evidence that appealing makes LE move any faster. The excuse for not providing evidence is that the process is secretive. I'll buy that but the incident that I questioned was in reference to a person that had applied for a permit only one week earlier. An appeal after one week based on a comment by a clerk at the PD? Connecticut statutes can define a timeline but no entity enforces it and the issuing authorities know it, so it seems that you will get your permit when you get it. Filing appeals within the first month or two seems as if it clogs up an already congested system in an effort to make a statement.

The entity that enforces it is the BFPE ... perhaps your viewpoint is that a 2 yr delay = non-enforcement, I may agree.

Some states have a two pathway way of addressing admin issues ... one is to go through a admin hearing and the second possible path is to go right to a court admin appeal. Up to the aggrieved party to choose the path.
Even issues with the IRS has the tax court (appeal from IRS ~ IRS decision stayed until tax court or pay, ask for a refund, get denied, then file in district court regarding the denial) path and district court path.

So why not change the process in CT for permits ... one in which people can choose between 2 paths? One completely free but slow and one that you pay (get back if you win).

Have any solutions to offer to address this issue?

Rich B

Filing appeals within the first month or two seems as if it clogs up an already congested system in an effort to make a statement.

Except it doesn't. At all. Knowledge of the system is key here.

'The first month or two' is a violation of the CGS. The administrative consequence of this is an appeal.

Last edited:

ValleyView67

Except it doesn't. At all. Knowledge of the system is key here.

'The first month or two' is a violation of the CGS. The administrative consequence of this is an appeal.

Based on your experience, I'll take your word that filing the appeal does not clog up the system but the second part of you statement is something that I need for you to clarify. If the entire process is to be completed by statute in 8 weeks then how is an issuing authority violating CGS in the first two months? Is the violation of CGS for example in the Waterbury case that I referenced from last month, a statement by the clerk that took the application saying that it could take 4-5 months? I'm not trying to nitpick but I think that needs to be defined.

Rich B

Based on your experience, I'll take your word that filing the appeal does not clog up the system but the second part of you statement is something that I need for you to clarify. If the entire process is to be completed by statute in 8 weeks then how is an issuing authority violating CGS in the first two months? Is the violation of CGS for example in the Waterbury case that I referenced from last month, a statement by the clerk that took the application saying that it could take 4-5 months? I'm not trying to nitpick but I think that needs to be defined.

The deadline is not 8 weeks. It is five days and 1 week.

http://ctcarry.com/permits/timeline

Last edited:

ValleyView67

The deadline is not 8 weeks. It is five days and 1 week.

http://ctcarry.com/permits/timeline

From the link that you provided:

"The Connecticut General Statutes prescribe a rather strict timeline for the pistol permit process. This timeline is dictated by and . The deadlines described in these statutes give your local issuing authority "5 days" from the date you submit your application with fingerprints until they must submit your fingerprints to the State Police Bureau of Identification (SPBI). Once your FBI report is received back from the SPBI, the local issuing authority has "one week" to issue an approval or denial.

The entire process is required to take no more than 8 weeks by statute."

My question as to whether filing an appeal will motivate an issuing authority to adhere to any statutory timeline remains unanswered so let me ask this question. A man walks into his local Ct PD. He files all necessary paperwork and fingerprints for a pistol permit on June 1st. The officer on duty accepts his paperwork.
"The entire process is required to take no more than 8 weeks by statute." On what date would you advise him to file an appeal?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sec. 29-28a. Application for permit. Notice of decision to applicant. (a) Requests for temporary state permits under section 29-28 shall be submitted to the chief of police, or, where there is no chief of police, to the warden of the borough or the first selectman of the town, as the case may be, on application forms prescribed by the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection. Upon written request by any person for a temporary state permit not on a prescribed application form, or upon request by any person for such application form, the local authority shall supply such forms. When any such request is made in person at the office of the local authority, the local authority shall supply such application form immediately. When any such request is made in any other manner, the local authority shall supply such application form not later than one week after receiving such request. If such application form is not supplied within the time limits required by this section, the request therefor shall constitute a sufficient application. If any local authority fails to supply an application form upon the request of any person, such person may request an application form from the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection or any barracks of the Division of State Police, and the time limits and procedures set forth in this section for handling requests for such forms shall be applicable.

(b) The local authority shall, not later than eight weeks after a sufficient application for a temporary state permit has been made, inform the applicant that such applicant’s request for a temporary state permit has been approved or denied. The local authority shall forward a copy of the application indicating approval or denial of the temporary state permit to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection. If the local authority has denied the application for a temporary state permit, no state permit may be issued. The commissioner shall, not later than eight weeks after receiving an application indicating approval from the local authority, inform the applicant in writing that the applicant’s application for a state permit has been approved or denied, or that the results of the national criminal history records check have not been received. If grounds for denial become known after a temporary state permit has been obtained, the temporary state permit shall be immediately revoked pursuant to section 29-32.

Seems like an oral or email application may be sufficient in certain circumstances...betcha 80% of the time if you email them a request for a permit they won't mail you a form to you in a week.

And a failure to mail the form may be considered a de facto denial ... so it may be that one week is all the time needed to wait .. under a certain set of circumstances ... as I read the law.

Last edited:

Rich B

From the link that you provided:

"The Connecticut General Statutes prescribe a rather strict timeline for the pistol permit process. This timeline is dictated by and . The deadlines described in these statutes give your local issuing authority "5 days" from the date you submit your application with fingerprints until they must submit your fingerprints to the State Police Bureau of Identification (SPBI). Once your FBI report is received back from the SPBI, the local issuing authority has "one week" to issue an approval or denial.

The entire process is required to take no more than 8 weeks by statute."

My question as to whether filing an appeal will motivate an issuing authority to adhere to any statutory timeline remains unanswered so let me ask this question. A man walks into his local Ct PD. He files all necessary paperwork and fingerprints for a pistol permit on June 1st. The officer on duty accepts his paperwork.
"The entire process is required to take no more than 8 weeks by statute." On what date would you advise him to file an appeal?

You are ignoring the 5 days and 1 week requirement. That is when someone should be filing an appeal.

mkultra999

CC Permit Submission in Newington, CT

Just wanted to say "Hello". Found the forum while looking for info on the turnaround these days for a CC permit. I submitted my info and had my prints taken in Newington on May 19th, and I am hoping I don't have to wait the 10 weeks I've been told by multiple people it will take. But I've also heard that some people are getting them turned around in 3 to 5 weeks? I guess like everyone else I just need to wait and see. All systems should be go, since I've never been in any trouble and have absolutely zero criminal history. The hardest part is waiting...something I HATE to do and it drives me nuts. But we'll say, I guess...

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just wanted to say "Hello". Found the forum while looking for info on the turnaround these days for a CC permit. I submitted my info and had my prints taken in Newington on May 19th, and I am hoping I don't have to wait the 10 weeks I've been told by multiple people it will take. But I've also heard that some people are getting them turned around in 3 to 5 weeks? I guess like everyone else I just need to wait and see. All systems should be go, since I've never been in any trouble and have absolutely zero criminal history. The hardest part is waiting...something I HATE to do and it drives me nuts. But we'll say, I guess...

Welcome to the forum !

Rich B

If you mind your dates and start escalating as soon as the 5 days, 1 week is up, you have a chance of 3-5 weeks. If you don't, you can easily expect 10 weeks.

brk913

Just a rundown on some recent time frames relayed to me by former students:

Darien 13 days
Windsor 2 weeks or less regularly
Newington 10 - 12 weeks
Plainville 6-8 Weeks
Danbury 5 weeks
Waterbury 4-6 months
Wethersfield 6-8 weeks
Farmington 6 weeks
West Hartford 6-7 weeks
Hartford 4-8 months but I had a student go bananas on them and she got it in 6 weeks so it can be done, of course that was with the Detective that got arrested for stealing permit money.
Middletown 10-12 weeks

jkhouw1

Just a rundown on some recent time frames relayed to me by former students:

Darien 13 days

In January, I got mine in Darien in 7 days including saturday & sunday & mail delivery. Friendly, courteous, & professional experience. In on Thursday for prints, in my mailbox the following thursday.
My friend in Norwalk is still waiting at 8+ weeks.

Pmig89

Hello everyone, first time poster here. Heard some rather odd news on the phone today when I called my local PD. I submitted my application on June 3rd and figured I'd give a call to check on it. Two of my friends who live in town received their approval in just under two weeks so I was hoping for the same luck. Before I could even tell him my name the gentleman informed me that "the state is very backed up and it will take 3-6 months". Now that just sounds crazy to me, especially now after being informed on this forum about the 8 week statute here in CT. Just wondering what my best course of action would be here.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Hello everyone, first time poster here. Heard some rather odd news on the phone today when I called my local PD. I submitted my application on June 3rd and figured I'd give a call to check on it. Two of my friends who live in town received their approval in just under two weeks so I was hoping for the same luck. Before I could even tell him my name the gentleman informed me that "the state is very backed up and it will take 3-6 months". Now that just sounds crazy to me, especially now after being informed on this forum about the 8 week statute here in CT. Just wondering what my best course of action would be here.

They can issue out a temp permit anytime that they want. 3-6 months? Make believe IMO.

8 weeks is only one deadline ...

you could file a foia request seeking records related to the "backlog" and if you are not happy with the records obtained, like they are holding records back ... then file a complaint with the FIC and if anyone shows from DESPP then ask them questions under oath. Even then, I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

Its a lie ... anything they tell you or your local PD is a lie. I have not found DESPP to be truthful in very many encounters.

mkultra999

Looking promising

I submitted my app and fingerprints in Newington on May 19th.

I called Louise at the state today, she stated that the app was processed and sent back by email and hardcopy to Newington on the 7th of June.

I called the records division at Newington PD today, the woman said, "We received all required info from the state PD and the app is sitting on the Sargeant's desk upstairs right now waiting to be signed".

She went on to say, "You should be getting your info mailed to you before the end of the week".

Sounds pretty promising, but I'll wait and see, but again...sounds good to me. If it all works out, it will be under 5 weeks from start to finish. They were all very nice and polite.

Pmig89

I submitted my app and fingerprints in Newington on May 19th.

I called Louise at the state today, she stated that the app was processed and sent back by email and hardcopy to Newington on the 7th of June.

I called the records division at Newington PD today, the woman said, "We received all required info from the state PD and the app is sitting on the Sargeant's desk upstairs right now waiting to be signed".

She went on to say, "You should be getting your info mailed to you before the end of the week".

Sounds pretty promising, but I'll wait and see, but again...sounds good to me. If it all works out, it will be under 5 weeks from start to finish. They were all very nice and polite.

You called the state today? Would you mind providing me the number you used to reach someone? Because I just have a seriously hard time believing 3-6 months on a wait and we are only a town over from each other. I submitted my application to Wethersfield PD on June 3rd, and called today and thats what I was told by the guy who answered at the station.

mkultra999

You have a "hard time believing" what you believe? Butt what do think, I'm making it up or something?

Here's the email exchange from Louise McDermott.

From Louise McDermott (Louise.McDermott@ct.gov)

"Tim,
Your pistol permit request was processed and sent via regular mail on 6/6/14; the results were also e-mailed on 6/17/14. The Newington PD has your state/federal results and any other determination would be done by the NPD; I suggest that you contact them as to the status of your pistol permit application.

Should you have any questions or require any additional information, please do not hesitate contact us.

Thank you.
Louise

Then, I called Newington PD and she said what I stated she said in my post. My sister is a cop and she said it varies widely, from town to town, time to time, etc. She said people have gotten permits in 2 to 3 weeks, and others it's take many months. All I can go by is my experience, which is stated right here.