• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

toni69x

Great news!

I got the letter that I was approved in the mail yesterday 10/04/2014. Kind of funny how things moved quickly after sending an appeal to the BFPE. The letter says i was approved Sept 18th, but they called me Sept 26th to add those three things that I was missing and they didn't tell me anything about that. That makes no sense. They could have given me the permit right there. I will go to both the WPD on monday and to Middletown the earliest possible before going to school. I will not remove the appeal until like a month from having my state permit. Btw what would be the address for Middletown?

City: Waterbury
Time period: 07/22/2014 - 10/04/2014 (or their approval date 09/18/2014)

Thanks for all the help guys, happy camper here;) :monkey

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I got the letter that I was approved in the mail yesterday 10/04/2014. Kind of funny how things moved quickly after sending an appeal to the BFPE. The letter says i was approved Sept 18th, but they called me Sept 26th to add those three things that I was missing and they didn't tell me anything about that. That makes no sense. They could have given me the permit right there. I will go to both the WPD on monday and to Middletown the earliest possible before going to school. I will not remove the appeal until like a month from having my state permit. Btw what would be the address for Middletown?

City: Waterbury
Time period: 07/22/2014 - 10/04/2014 (or their approval date 09/18/2014)

Thanks for all the help guys, happy camper here;) :monkey

If you withdraw, just a simple sentence saying that you are withdrawing the case ... they have no jurisdiction after that point, so once a withdraw is filed, they cannot do anything more for you.

No rush to withdraw ...

toni69x

If you withdraw, just a simple sentence saying that you are withdrawing the case ... they have no jurisdiction after that point, so once a withdraw is filed, they cannot do anything more for you.

No rush to withdraw ...

In that case a month or two should be fine no? Agree on no rush:cool:

toni69x

Permit in hand

Went to pick up my 60 day temp at my local pd and then right after went to middletown. The whole process took around 30 minutes from the time I arrived at the State Police in Middletown, to the time I left. The line had 4-5 people when I arrived at 9:56 A.M. but by the time I left at 10:23 A.M. There was a pack of people outside asking where to go for the permit. Glad I arrived in time. Will be obtaining a glock 19 after saving money from my job.

So Thanks guys, appreciate all the help!

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Went to pick up my 60 day temp at my local pd and then right after went to middletown. The whole process took around 30 minutes from the time I arrived at the State Police in Middletown, to the time I left. The line had 4-5 people when I arrived at 9:56 A.M. but by the time I left at 10:23 A.M. There was a pack of people outside asking where to go for the permit. Glad I arrived in time. Will be obtaining a glock 19 after saving money from my job.

So Thanks guys, appreciate all the help!

Nice to see that they streamlined the process over there ... waiting in line for a permission slip ... tsk tsk tsk.

Anyway, that withstanding, enjoy your permit...now you can buy ammo and acquire guns and carry just like me :dude:

korwintkr

Monday was the 8 week point on my pistol permit in New Haven. I called today to find out the status and left a message. I got a call back about an hour later and the Officer said he needed to do a phone interview with me, so we got that started. It took about 2 minutes. He asked me the following questions (I'm paraphrasing and I may have missed a couple). I know it's not required and I could have said no, but whatever - I just did it. Just like I filled out their NHPD supplemental application when I applied

1. How long have you lived in New Haven?
  2. Are you still employed at __________________?
  3. Are you married, single, divorced?
  4. Something about my ex-wife as a follow-up to above.
  5. Do you have a protective order out on you?
  6. Did you live fire a handgun during your basic course?
  7. Have you ever been arrested?

He said thanks and he'll be in touch in the next couple days.

I'm not sure if/when they would have called on their own to do this without me being the proactive one. I'll follow up next week if I don't hear sooner. I had the appeal paperwork ready to go today if I got any hassle. I'm reluctant to give the NHPD too much credit - but in the two experiences I've had with them over the permit (dropping off the application missing some items, and this) they were at least quick to respond and helpful.

Last edited:

korwintkr

New Haven PD called today at 2pm saying my permit was ready. I picked it up by 3, was at DESPP by 3:30, and out the door by 3:40 with my Pistol Permit.
Total time for New Haven about 8 weeks. If I hadn't called yesterday to inquire about the status, I'm not sure when they would have contacted me. Maybe it was ready 4 weeks ago, who knows. Anyway, state Pistol EC took me 5 weeks and NHPD took 8 - I expected much longer/worse hassle.

spt_1955

Mailed my non-resident application on 9/8 along with my Maine Non-resident permit and my BATF 03-FFL C&R. Both the Maine permit and the C&R arrived on Tuesday. (5 weeks).

davidmcbeth

Banned
New Haven PD called today at 2pm saying my permit was ready. I picked it up by 3, was at DESPP by 3:30, and out the door by 3:40 with my Pistol Permit.
Total time for New Haven about 8 weeks. If I hadn't called yesterday to inquire about the status, I'm not sure when they would have contacted me. Maybe it was ready 4 weeks ago, who knows. Anyway, state Pistol EC took me 5 weeks and NHPD took 8 - I expected much longer/worse hassle.

Now start working to eliminate the hassle !

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/pistol_permits/dps-799-c.pdf

The pistol permit form ^^

Sec. 29-29. Information concerning criminal records of applicants for permits. (a) No temporary state permit for carrying any pistol or revolver shall be issued under the provisions of section 29-28 unless the applicant for such permit gives to the local authority, upon its request, full information concerning the applicant’s criminal record. The local authority shall require the applicant to submit to state and national criminal history records checks. The local authority shall take a full description of such applicant and make an investigation concerning the applicant’s suitability to carry any such weapons.

(b) The local authority shall take the fingerprints of such applicant or conduct any other method of positive identification required by the State Police Bureau of Identification or the Federal Bureau of Investigation, unless the local authority determines that the fingerprints of such applicant have been previously taken and the applicant’s identity established, and such applicant presents identification that the local authority verifies as valid. The local authority shall record the date the fingerprints were taken in the applicant’s file and, within five business days of such date, shall forward such fingerprints or other positive identifying information to the State Police Bureau of Identification which shall conduct criminal history records checks in accordance with section 29-17a.

(c) The local authority may, in its discretion, issue a temporary state permit before a national criminal history records check relative to such applicant’s record has been received. Upon receipt of the results of such national criminal history records check, the commissioner shall send a copy of the results of such national criminal history records check to the local authority, which shall inform the applicant and render a decision on the application within one week of the receipt of such results. If such results have not been received within eight weeks after a sufficient application for a permit has been made, the local authority shall inform the applicant of such delay, in writing. No temporary state permit shall be issued if the local authority has reason to believe the applicant has ever been convicted of a felony, or that any other condition exists for which the issuance of a permit for possession of a pistol or revolver is prohibited under state or federal law.

(d) The commissioner may investigate any applicant for a state permit and shall investigate each applicant for renewal of a state permit to ensure that such applicant is eligible under state law for such permit or for renewal of such permit.

(e) No state permit may be issued unless either the local authority or the commissioner has received the results of the national criminal history records check.

And 29-28(b)

(b) Upon the application of any person having a bona fide residence or place of business within the jurisdiction of any such authority, such chief of police, warden or selectman may issue a temporary state permit to such person to carry a pistol or revolver within the state, provided such authority shall find that such applicant intends to make no use of any pistol or revolver which such applicant may be permitted to carry under such permit other than a lawful use and that such person is a suitable person to receive such permit. No state or temporary state permit to carry a pistol or revolver shall be issued under this subsection if the applicant (1) has failed to successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers including, but not limited to, a safety or training course in the use of pistols and revolvers available to the public offered by a law enforcement agency, a private or public educational institution or a firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and a safety or training course in the use of pistols or revolvers conducted by an instructor certified by the state or the National Rifle Association, (2) has been convicted of a felony or of a violation of subsection (c) of section 21a-279 or section 53a-58, 53a-61, 53a-61a, 53a-62, 53a-63, 53a-96, 53a-175, 53a-176, 53a-178 or 53a-181d, (3) has been convicted as delinquent for the commission of a serious juvenile offense, as defined in section 46b-120, (4) has been discharged from custody within the preceding twenty years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect pursuant to section 53a-13, (5) has been confined in a hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities, as defined in section 17a-495, within the preceding twelve months by order of a probate court, (6) is subject to a restraining or protective order issued by a court in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force against another person, (7) is subject to a firearms seizure order issued pursuant to subsection (d) of section 29-38c after notice and hearing, (8) is prohibited from shipping, transporting, possessing or receiving a firearm pursuant to 18 USC 922(g)(4), (9) is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States, or (10) is less than twenty-one years of age. Nothing in this section shall require any person who holds a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver on October 1, 1994, to participate in any additional training in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers. Upon issuance of a temporary state permit to the applicant, the local authority shall forward the original application to the commissioner. Not later than sixty days after receiving a temporary state permit, an applicant shall appear at a location designated by the commissioner to receive the state permit. Said commissioner may then issue, to any holder of any temporary state permit, a state permit to carry a pistol or revolver within the state. Upon issuance of the state permit, the commissioner shall make available to the permit holder a copy of the law regarding the permit holder’s responsibility to report the loss or theft of a firearm and the penalties associated with the failure to comply with such law. Upon issuance of the state permit, the commissioner shall forward a record of such permit to the local authority issuing the temporary state permit. The commissioner shall retain records of all applications, whether approved or denied. The copy of the state permit delivered to the permittee shall be laminated and shall contain a full-face photograph of such permittee. A person holding a state permit issued pursuant to this subsection shall notify the issuing authority within two business days of any change of such person’s address. The notification shall include the old address and the new address of such person.

spt_1955

Got my non resident CT permit last week.

Mailed the forms in on 9/8 got the CT "State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers" (Class 0) in the mail on 10/24. Elapsed time 7 weeks.

Also just for reference. I mailed my BATF 03FFL application on 9/8 and also received it on 10/24!!!! What are the odds of that happening.

Naggypants

I turned in all of my paperwork/money orders over to the secretary in the first selectmans office Thursday November 13th. She told me 6-8 weeks. Should I bug her every once in awhile to expedite the process?

Last edited:

spt_1955

I turned in all of my paperwork/money orders over to the secretary in the first selectmans office Thursday November 13th. She told me 6-8 weeks. Should I bug her every once in awhile to expedite the process?

If you listen to some of the people in this post you should go down every 2 weeks and tape record your conversations! My advice is to wait the 8 weeks before you ask for status. She told you 6-8 weeks. Mine just took 7 weeks so 6-8 sounds like a good estimate. Plus it is the holidays ... guess what people take time off during the holidays!

THe process is what it is. If you are clean you should get it in 6-8 weeks. ******* people off will get you nothing but trouble.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Really!!!!! "P---ing off" is a censored phrase? What a joke.
No it's not a joke.

Language is important. It is the only tool by which others see us. We are a widely read, public forum: media, clerics, grandmothers and children. If it likely wouldn't be acceptable before any of those, then it will not be acceptable here.

We are not a good ol' boy club operating in a vacuum.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you listen to some of the people in this post you should go down every 2 weeks and tape record your conversations! My advice is to wait the 8 weeks before you ask for status. She told you 6-8 weeks. Mine just took 7 weeks so 6-8 sounds like a good estimate. Plus it is the holidays ... guess what people take time off during the holidays!

THe process is what it is. If you are clean you should get it in 6-8 weeks. ******* people off will get you nothing but trouble.

--Edited--.....nothing wrong with tape recording face to face conversations ~ only 1party consent in CT for that .. an FYI

To each their own I guess ... I don't bother them myself, I just file appeals.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmb11130

Pistol Permit time in Milford, CT

has anyone put a pistol application in recently to the Milford PD? If so how long did it take you.

The officer who reviewed my application and did my fingerprints told me 4-6 months :cuss:

Can't believe it will take that long.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited: