• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A facebook post from a local LEO.

self preservation

Just thought I'd share.

"I had my first encounter with an open carry activist yesterday. He was standing outside at the District Court House with a SKS assault rifle. "Call came out AK-47" The Courts went on Lock Down and the Police were called. He was just out enjoying the day carrying his assault rifle and handing out stickers on his rights to carry. He was with his other 3 buddies and they had their little recorders out and ready for a confrontation with a Law Enforcement Officer. I’m all for people’s rights and their right to open carry and actually that’s part of my job, you know to help protect your rights as a citizen. Did it for our Country as a Marine and now do it on the domestic front for our local town as a Police Officer? What I don’t like is, this guy was one of our local thugs who loves to cause problems. I let him say his spill and let him advise me of the law on his rights while his buddies stood by and smiled while recording our conversation. I doubt the incident will be on you tube anytime soon because I made sure that what he recorded was not only his demonstration and confrontation with Police but also that, I already knew who he was and where he currently resided, that he’s been arrested several times for theft , public disorder and drunkenness, that he likes to cause problems with citizens in the community then run away when the Police are called, that his passion in life is to break into cars at night and steal property that belong to other people, that he’s a high school dropout and currently does not hold a job and lives off of welfare. Told him that I know what he was doing and that was trying to provoke an incident with Law Enforcement so WE could make a mistake and he could then sue the City for a nice little pay day and make a neat you tube video. He assured me that he wasn’t trying to cause problems and he was just out and about demonstrating his right to carry and that he knows the laws and follows the laws of the Geneva Convention. The last one kind of threw me off a little. I did not know that KY or Winchester was part of the NATO Alliance Peace Treaty. This guy truly gave the honest law abiding citizens a bad name, lucky for me that I knew who this guy was and that I had studied these type of people who try to set up the Police for a quick law suit and pay day and that I was prepared for this incident. You would think that an honest person or true Patriot who exercises his rights probably would not be out exercising his right to carry out on the Court House Lawn, causing the Court House to go on lock down and intentionally provoke an encounter with Law Enforcement."

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
If what he said about the subject is true, then he doesn't sound like a pretty cool guy. It appears that he didn't detain him and the conversation was fully consensual.

The courts have asserted the right of police to question and detain armed individuals near courthouses, so the lack of a more aggressive response should be seen as positive.

papa bear

sounds a lot like BS to me. it wasn't long before he started down the person and name calling i wonder if he would have found bad things about me. close to the LEOs record., but army not marine. marines are great in their own minds. i feel like he was resentful of the recorders, wonder what he would have tried if they hadn't been there

vegaspassat

Well, that's the thing about rights - everyone has them. If the officer knew the reason for demonstration, then why even talk to him at all?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

vegaspassat

Sorry, I know Im not from KY but this thread popped up on my phone and I take an interest in LEO interactions, regardless of where

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Fallschirjmäger

So, do we have this guy's name? The LEO's name? The city or town where this happened? An incident report? Video from the courthouse security system? The officer's personal recording?

Yeah, I met a guy and I totally kicked ass and took names.... trust me, I wouldn't make up stuff like that. (And we've had more than a few on here telling tales from the other side of that little fence.)

Fuller Malarkey

I. too, would appreciate a link. My Google Fu has been pushed to the breaking point, and this site is the only reference I can find.

Thanks in advance.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If what he said about the subject is true, then he doesn't sound like a pretty cool guy. It appears that he didn't detain him and the conversation was fully consensual.

The courts have asserted the right of police to question and detain armed individuals near courthouses, so the lack of a more aggressive response should be seen as positive.

Have you got a citation to back up the part I bolded above?

Without some more specific citation it should fall back on Terry v Ohio, 392 US 1, (1967). More on how Terry has been expanded at http://www.fletc.gov/training/progr...ct/4th-amendment/terrystopupdate.pdf/download

The "unusual action" provision would not cover OCing a long gun or handgun outside a courthouse, absent other "unusual" behaviors.

Let's not support cops merely because they did not cuff & stuff somebody OCing. The actual stop violated rights set out under Terry. That the guy consented to turn it into a voluntary stop is not material - the cop had no business harassing the guy - regardless of how much he may otherwise be an unsavory character.

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Just thought I'd share.

"I had my first encounter with an open carry activist yesterday. He was standing outside at the District Court House with a SKS assault rifle. "Call came out AK-47" The Courts went on Lock Down and the Police were called. He was just out enjoying the day carrying his assault rifle and handing out stickers on his rights to carry. He was with his other 3 buddies and they had their little recorders out and ready for a confrontation with a Law Enforcement Officer. I’m all for people’s rights and their right to open carry and actually that’s part of my job, you know to help protect your rights as a citizen. Did it for our Country as a Marine and now do it on the domestic front for our local town as a Police Officer? What I don’t like is, this guy was one of our local thugs who loves to cause problems. I let him say his spill and let him advise me of the law on his rights while his buddies stood by and smiled while recording our conversation. I doubt the incident will be on you tube anytime soon because I made sure that what he recorded was not only his demonstration and confrontation with Police but also that, I already knew who he was and where he currently resided, that he’s been arrested several times for theft , public disorder and drunkenness, that he likes to cause problems with citizens in the community then run away when the Police are called, that his passion in life is to break into cars at night and steal property that belong to other people, that he’s a high school dropout and currently does not hold a job and lives off of welfare. Told him that I know what he was doing and that was trying to provoke an incident with Law Enforcement so WE could make a mistake and he could then sue the City for a nice little pay day and make a neat you tube video. He assured me that he wasn’t trying to cause problems and he was just out and about demonstrating his right to carry and that he knows the laws and follows the laws of the Geneva Convention. The last one kind of threw me off a little. I did not know that KY or Winchester was part of the NATO Alliance Peace Treaty. This guy truly gave the honest law abiding citizens a bad name, lucky for me that I knew who this guy was and that I had studied these type of people who try to set up the Police for a quick law suit and pay day and that I was prepared for this incident. You would think that an honest person or true Patriot who exercises his rights probably would not be out exercising his right to carry out on the Court House Lawn, causing the Court House to go on lock down and intentionally provoke an encounter with Law Enforcement."

Fellas,

This report has the hallmarks of smear or hatchet job.

First, none of the alleged negative stuff is necessary to the post. Copper coulda told everything else without it.

Second, people who get arrested several times for theft...and break into cars don't suddenly come over all social consciousness swelling with concern for their fellow man's rights. And, what's up with the co-conspirators? All seeking to join the lawsuit after the cops violate the alleged car-breaker's rights and not theirs? Hardly. Nothing in it for them. And, people who break into cars and get arrested don't think in the long term, ie, the time it takes for a case to mature and be settled or litigated.

Nope. I think the cop is trying an old tactic to slop mud on OCers.

Big Daddy XD

I'm going to say that if the guy is a known criminal with multiple trips through the system then the cop had every right to approach him and assess the situation. Why wouldn't he? If your spouse or child worked at that court house and someone was outside with a AK who is a repeat offender wouldn't you want someone to see if he was there to do harm or good? I sure would.

Now I know I'm going to take some bashing for this post and that's OK. I'm a big boy I can handle it but come on people......use some common sense. He didn't ask questions at gun point. He didn't ask for ID. He didn't detain anyone. He didn't take the weapon, or even touch it.

I'm pro 2A, pro citizens rights but I'm also pro common sense..................

WalkingWolf

I realize this is from a facebook page, but remember we have had a LEO on here before that claimed he was all pro rights, and supported open carry, and then went on to bash on OCers as criminals. I respect the OP, BUT the post is hearsay from a facebook page, I don't believe one ounce of it. I doubt the facebook page even belonged to a LEO, by now LEOs know they could get in poo poo for what they post on social media. Especially facebook, and claims of a common criminal OCing at a court house no less.

self preservation

I realize this is from a facebook page, but remember we have had a LEO on here before that claimed he was all pro rights, and supported open carry, and then went on to bash on OCers as criminals. I respect the OP, BUT the post is hearsay from a facebook page, I don't believe one ounce of it. I doubt the facebook page even belonged to a LEO, by now LEOs know they could get in poo poo for what they post on social media. Especially facebook, and claims of a common criminal OCing at a court house no less.

It came from a "friend" on my facebook page. He is a Sergeant and these are his words. I didn't change a thing.

True. He and I work for the same city, different departments, but yes, the city has a policy about posting work stuff on social media. Maybe he just didn't care.

WalkingWolf

It came from a "friend" on my facebook page. He is a Sergeant and these are his words. I didn't change a thing.

True. He and I work for the same city, different departments, but yes, the city has a policy about posting work stuff on social media. Maybe he just didn't care.

It is still hearsay, even if he is a LEO I still believe his claims may be bogus. He certainly has a bias against OC, so he is claiming the OCer is a burglar, and a thief. PFFFT!

Their is no reason to take his word for anything without proof.

Fuller Malarkey

Once again...linky?

~SNIP ~
"The Courts went on Lock Down and the Police were called."

I contend that in this day and age, there would be a record of a courthouse lockdown due to the presence of an visibly armed threat, and the response to a courthouse lockdown should be greater than one aloof officer. Where would one check on police responses to a courthouse lockdown, and wouldn't some entity within the courthouse system have record of locking down the facility, along with an analysis of the effort [compliance, response times, weaknesses]?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

Once again...linky?

I contend that in this day and age, there would be a record of a courthouse lockdown due to the presence of an visibly armed threat, and the response to a courthouse lockdown should be greater than one aloof officer. Where would one check on police responses to a courthouse lockdown, and wouldn't some entity within the courthouse system have record of locking down the facility, along with an analysis of the effort [compliance, response times, weaknesses]?

Thanks in advance.

You're forgetting one key figure... This was [Supposedly] Winchester, KY... I seriously doubt they have any sort of the thing, but you do make a good point, Winchester is large enough to have had a media or newspaper article about it, but small enough to not really care, or have, such proceedures as policy.

self preservation

Once again...linky?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

Against my better judgement, here is your "linky." But get a fast look because it's coming right back down. https://www.facebook.com/mike.perkins.96780?ref=ts&fref=ts

As far as documents of the incident....all calls to PD and all PD radio traffic is recorded. If you really want the details call the PD at 859-745-7403 and do an open records request for this incident.

That appears to be a link to the cop's facebook page. I was thinking a link to the letter.......

Thanks in advance.