• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Turning OC to CC

cwo2lt

Newby with a question, and if the answer is in a thread I obviously didn't find please direct me there.

I'm trying to determine what could turn OC into CC. If I put on a jacket that covers my hip and thus conceals my weapon have I just committed a crime?

TIA

eye95

Yes, definitely check with the folks in the Oregon sub-forum. It's not just the written law that defines concealment. It is what the courts say--and that could vary from State to State.

IIRC, at one time (possibly even still) holstering a firearm was considered concealing it in Mississippi. Know the written and case law where you carry.

lokalmotive

Yes, definitely check with the folks in the Oregon sub-forum. It's not just the written law that defines concealment. It is what the courts say--and that could vary from State to State.

IIRC, at one time (possibly even still) holstering a firearm was considered concealing it in Mississippi. Know the written and case law where you carry.

In MS, beginning July 1as per HB2, carrying a firearm in a holster is no longer considered concealed and is legal without a permit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

eye95

Thanks for the heads-up, and congratulations on the move toward sanity in MS.

The uniqueness of law in each State and its fungibility drive home the need for everyone to know the firearm laws of their State!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

hermannr

Newby with a question, and if the answer is in a thread I obviously didn't find please direct me there.

I'm trying to determine what could turn OC into CC. If I put on a jacket that covers my hip and thus conceals my weapon have I just committed a crime?

TIA

ORS 166.250(3) says "openly in a holster on your hip". So the question is: What is openly? I would be of the opinion that if the carry was not completely covered (closed long coat) incidental coverage should not matter. It is like, are you intentionally are trying to conceal, or is it only inadvertently covered???

Just like incidental uncover in FL and TX (no OC available) is not chargeable.

That said, It is very advantageous to have a CHL in OR. There are too many local governments up in the Salem to Portland area that have made use of ORS 166.173. If you have a CHL you can CC or OC anywhere in the state and you can tell the Portland PD to go pound sand. Also, if you have a CHL if you intentionally, or inadvertently conceal, it does not matter.

Study ORS 166 and make your own determination, OK?

Elm Creek Smith

Thanks for the heads-up, and congratulations on the move toward sanity in MS.

The uniqueness of law in each State and its fungibility drive home the need for everyone to know the firearm laws of their State!

...and any state they may be traveling through or visiting!

ECS