Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video recording the police

video recording the police

There will be a news piece on this subject Monday night at 10 pm on channel 5 KVVU Las Vegas. Thought some of you may be interested in seeing it.

From what they showed it appears if the police are saying that video recording them interferes with their job. I will be watching this on Monday.

It steals their souls???

Banned
    Don't like being video taped? Get a NEW JOB

Re: video recording the police

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    It steals their souls???
    If they had a soul to steal

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    It steals their souls???
    I have no idea about that?

From the looks of the 15 second spot it looks as if they are trying to give folks who video tape the police a bad name. They played a few of the popular youtube videos.

All I know is that even if you do tape the police they seem to figure out a way to get the camera away from you. They'll make up whatever law they want to get the camera away from you.

Anyways, watch it tomorrow at 10pm if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Don't like being video taped? Get a NEW JOB
    This. Completely.

In fact, I think officers should additionally be required to wear video/audio recording equipment, especially on their firearms, and the recordings should be FOIA-able at any time.
    Last edited by MAC702; 04-28-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turborich View Post
    I have no idea about that?

From the looks of the 15 second spot it looks as if they are trying to give folks who video tape the police a bad name. They played a few of the popular youtube videos.

All I know is that even if you do tape the police they seem to figure out a way to get the camera away from you. They'll make up whatever law they want to get the camera away from you.

Anyways, watch it tomorrow at 10pm if you can.
    SCOTUS already ruled in Gilk (sp?) ... too bad, thank for playing, try again later !

There will be a news piece on this subject Monday night at 10 pm on channel 5 KVVU Las Vegas. Thought some of you may be interested in seeing it.

From what they showed it appears if the police are saying that video recording them interferes with their job. I will be watching this on Monday.

If the police have "Nothing to hide" then why would they mind? Sound familiar? That's what they say to us low life civies when they want to search us, our vehicles and our homes without search warrants. I carry two recorders at all times and the audio recorder has a 14 hour continuous recording ability. Thinking of getting one of those phones that uploads continuously to a "Cloud" (I think that is what it is called) account. Uploading as it happens prevents them from stealing the proof that they "Have everything to hide".

I'm not saying the cops are right, I'm just letting you guys know when it will be on TV. Don't kill the messenger.

I agree with MAC702, I think the police should wear audio/video recording at all times as well.

Here's my issue with this subject. What if you are pulled over and you begin to video record the officer and he says that if you don't turn the camera off he will arrest you for interfering with his investigation? If he does end up arresting you he can then erase what is on your camera and twist what led up to the arrest. I know this is illegal however it happens and then it's your word vs. a law enforcement officer.

Have any of you ever been arrested for refusing to turn your camera off? I have seen this on Youtube several times. I don't have the money to hire an attorney if this were to happen. To be fair I would say that my encounters with the police have been about 80% positive / 20% negative but those negative experiences were really bad!

Re: video recording the police

I'm not saying the cops are right, I'm just letting you guys know when it will be on TV. Don't kill the messenger.

I agree with MAC702, I think the police should wear audio/video recording at all times as well.

Here's my issue with this subject. What if you are pulled over and you begin to video record the officer and he says that if you don't turn the camera off he will arrest you for interfering with his investigation? If he does end up arresting you he can then erase what is on your camera and twist what led up to the arrest. I know this is illegal however it happens and then it's your word vs. a law enforcement officer.

Have any of you ever been arrested for refusing to turn your camera off? I have seen this on Youtube several times. I don't have the money to hire an attorney if this were to happen. To be fair I would say that my encounters with the police have been about 80% positive / 20% negative but those negative experiences were really bad!
    There are smartphone apps that transmit/store off-site for times like this. I know it doesn't do any good for a regular camera or recorder, but it's an option to consider.

Also, if it's possible, be discreet in recording. I have found that, no matter the profession, people tend to behave better when they know they are "on the air", versus having a feeling that no one can prove wrong doing.
    Last edited by b0neZ; 04-29-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Banned

Have any of you ever been arrested for refusing to turn your camera off?
    No, but I have been threatened with arrest -- I continue anyway. Hey, if this is a hill they wish to die on, go for it.

One has to make clear that you will not allow them to stop you. Then they leave you alone. They know you can video tape them .. they just don't like it (who would?).

I normally am not all up in their face ... I have something called a zoom feature in my camera and I can hook it up to my telescope so I can tape someone like I'm 2 inches away from 100 yards easy. Sweet. Its nice when you know you'll have something to tape or when time permits. Normally its just me and my camera ... I have had people look at my telescope set up and say "cool"..but its nothing mysterious or novel about the setup.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 04-29-2013 at 10:45 AM.

I was told NHP does require their Troopers to wear AV equipment but not all the time. BTW I heard this from an officer so take it for what its worth.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by desertborn View Post
    I was told NHP does require their Troopers to wear AV equipment but not all the time. BTW I heard this from an officer so take it for what its worth.
    Maybe but THEY have the recording ... got caught doing something bad .. ooops, equipment malfunction

video recording the police

here is a good tip for iphone owners.

i tried it and it works.

set up phone with a passkey to unlock it then start voice memo recording, hit the top lock button. put it top down in shirt pocket so mic is up. if cop pulls phone out and sees that its recording but locked he cant do sh!t. if he shuts the phone off the recording will still save to that point. but its discrete and he may never realize its on in your pocket.
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

I thought I'd add this to the thread - pretty funny!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/07...est=latestnews

Quote Originally Posted by Mantioch View Post
    I thought I'd add this to the thread - pretty funny!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/07...est=latestnews
    I was wondering if this was going to show up on OC.org. This is good to watch not so good for METRO.

Not everyone with a camera is a sovereign citizen. Not every sovereign citizen is going to be videotaping or even have a camera. To make that assumption is foolish and dangerous. The sovereign citizen father and son in West Memphis, AR that jumped out of the minivan and started shooting the police on a traffic stop didn't have cameras.

Every idiot and their mother has a camera on their cell phone and thinks they're going to have the next viral video on youtube. Nothing to get excited about, really.

Quote Originally Posted by jpa View Post
    Not everyone with a camera is a sovereign citizen. Not every sovereign citizen is going to be videotaping or even have a camera. To make that assumption is foolish and dangerous. The sovereign citizen father and son in West Memphis, AR that jumped out of the minivan and started shooting the police on a traffic stop didn't have cameras.

Every idiot and their mother has a camera on their cell phone and thinks they're going to have the next viral video on youtube. Nothing to get excited about, really.
    ???????????????
    http://washoecountygunrights.blogspot.com/

*** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by john-in-reno View Post
    ???????????????
    What don't you understand?

Quote Originally Posted by john-in-reno View Post
    ???????????????
    What don't you understand?
    first thing is, i don't understand the sovereign thing. if you are a citizen, you are sovereign. know too, that as individuals, the LEOs are civilians, but as government employees they are subject to the same rules as the government.
    a video camera is a lot different than a AR 15, i don't think (no mater what the LEO say) that there will be confusion in the two. if someone is trying to shoot you with a gun, then you can shoot back. someone video taping is doing no harm to anyone.

if you are not doing anything wrong you wouldn't have a problem with be filmed
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Banned

What makes a sovereign citizen or what are some of the characteristics of a SC? Lets see that the FBI says:
    Several indicators can help identify these individuals.

References to the Bible, The Constitution of the United States, U.S. Supreme Court decisions, or treaties with foreign governments
    http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/pu...reign-citizens

I had my Attny Gen officer try to paint me as a SC in a hearing -- I brought up what the FBI considered the tell-tale signs of being a SC and said you cannot believe the FBI --- everyone is a terrorist in their eyes.

The AG got all pissed off -- I told him that if he thought I was a terrorist then he should arrest me on the spot -- or shut the hell up. He shut up after that point.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    first thing is, i don't understand the sovereign thing. if you are a citizen, you are sovereign. know too, that as individuals, the LEOs are civilians, but as government employees they are subject to the same rules as the government.
    a video camera is a lot different than a AR 15, i don't think (no mater what the LEO say) that there will be confusion in the two. if someone is trying to shoot you with a gun, then you can shoot back. someone video taping is doing no harm to anyone.

if you are not doing anything wrong you wouldn't have a problem with be filmed
    Sovereign citizen refers to a specific group that has anti-LE and anti-government leanings. They don't register their cars, they don't have driver's licenses, they refuse to submit to legitimate government authority and in some cases, assault LE. I know open carriers who record their interactions with law enforcement and there are plenty of tourists who surround the police with camera phones out anytime they see a traffic stop, a pedestrian stop or a fight in progress. The majority of these people have ID, register their cars and would never think of assaulting the police. To lump one in with the other is inaccurate and unfair.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    here is a good tip for iphone owners.

i tried it and it works.

set up phone with a passkey to unlock it then start voice memo recording, hit the top lock button. put it top down in shirt pocket so mic is up. if cop pulls phone out and sees that its recording but locked he cant do sh!t. if he shuts the phone off the recording will still save to that point. but its discrete and he may never realize its on in your pocket.
    If he pulls the phone out, ask "Why are you taking away my phone?" He he starts trying to turn it off, ask "Why are you turning off my phone?"

Get a record that the cop is attempting to interfere with the recording.

sovereignty was what citizens were a long time before any movement.

sov·er·eign (svr-n, svrn)n.1. One that exercises supreme, permanent authority, especially in a nation or other governmental unit, as:a. A king, queen, or other noble person who serves as chief of state; a ruler or monarch.
    b. A national governing council or committee.

2. A nation that governs territory outside its borders.
    3. A gold coin formerly used in Great Britain.

adj.1. Self-governing; independent: a sovereign state.
    2. Having supreme rank or power: a sovereign prince.
    3. Paramount; supreme: Her sovereign virtue is compassion.
    4. a. Of superlative strength or efficacy: a sovereign remedy.
    b. Unmitigated: sovereign contempt.

Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Sovereign citizen refers to a specific group that has anti-LE and anti-government leanings. They don't register their cars, they don't have driver's licenses, they refuse to submit to legitimate government authority and in some cases, assault LE. I know open carriers who record their interactions with law enforcement and there are plenty of tourists who surround the police with camera phones out anytime they see a traffic stop, a pedestrian stop or a fight in progress. The majority of these people have ID, register their cars and would never think of assaulting the police. To lump one in with the other is inaccurate and unfair.
    Could you be more specific about your definition of "legitimate government authority"?

Such as where the "authority comes from?

Specifically what makes it legitimate?

Not trying to get off base, these are the true questions my head was asking when I read this post!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast