• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

video recording the police

turborich

There will be a news piece on this subject Monday night at 10 pm on channel 5 KVVU Las Vegas. Thought some of you may be interested in seeing it.

From what they showed it appears if the police are saying that video recording them interferes with their job. I will be watching this on Monday.

turborich

It steals their souls???

I have no idea about that?

From the looks of the 15 second spot it looks as if they are trying to give folks who video tape the police a bad name. They played a few of the popular youtube videos.

All I know is that even if you do tape the police they seem to figure out a way to get the camera away from you. They'll make up whatever law they want to get the camera away from you.

Anyways, watch it tomorrow at 10pm if you can.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Don't like being video taped? Get a NEW JOB

This. Completely.

In fact, I think officers should additionally be required to wear video/audio recording equipment, especially on their firearms, and the recordings should be FOIA-able at any time.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have no idea about that?

From the looks of the 15 second spot it looks as if they are trying to give folks who video tape the police a bad name. They played a few of the popular youtube videos.

All I know is that even if you do tape the police they seem to figure out a way to get the camera away from you. They'll make up whatever law they want to get the camera away from you.

Anyways, watch it tomorrow at 10pm if you can.

SCOTUS already ruled in Gilk (sp?) ... too bad, thank for playing, try again later ! :monkey:monkey:monkey

benraines

There will be a news piece on this subject Monday night at 10 pm on channel 5 KVVU Las Vegas. Thought some of you may be interested in seeing it.

From what they showed it appears if the police are saying that video recording them interferes with their job. I will be watching this on Monday.

If the police have "Nothing to hide" then why would they mind? Sound familiar? That's what they say to us low life civies when they want to search us, our vehicles and our homes without search warrants. I carry two recorders at all times and the audio recorder has a 14 hour continuous recording ability. Thinking of getting one of those phones that uploads continuously to a "Cloud" (I think that is what it is called) account. Uploading as it happens prevents them from stealing the proof that they "Have everything to hide".

turborich

I'm not saying the cops are right, I'm just letting you guys know when it will be on TV. Don't kill the messenger.

I agree with MAC702, I think the police should wear audio/video recording at all times as well.

Here's my issue with this subject. What if you are pulled over and you begin to video record the officer and he says that if you don't turn the camera off he will arrest you for interfering with his investigation? If he does end up arresting you he can then erase what is on your camera and twist what led up to the arrest. I know this is illegal however it happens and then it's your word vs. a law enforcement officer.

Have any of you ever been arrested for refusing to turn your camera off? I have seen this on Youtube several times. I don't have the money to hire an attorney if this were to happen. To be fair I would say that my encounters with the police have been about 80% positive / 20% negative but those negative experiences were really bad!

b0neZ

I'm not saying the cops are right, I'm just letting you guys know when it will be on TV. Don't kill the messenger.

I agree with MAC702, I think the police should wear audio/video recording at all times as well.

Here's my issue with this subject. What if you are pulled over and you begin to video record the officer and he says that if you don't turn the camera off he will arrest you for interfering with his investigation? If he does end up arresting you he can then erase what is on your camera and twist what led up to the arrest. I know this is illegal however it happens and then it's your word vs. a law enforcement officer.

Have any of you ever been arrested for refusing to turn your camera off? I have seen this on Youtube several times. I don't have the money to hire an attorney if this were to happen. To be fair I would say that my encounters with the police have been about 80% positive / 20% negative but those negative experiences were really bad!

There are smartphone apps that transmit/store off-site for times like this. I know it doesn't do any good for a regular camera or recorder, but it's an option to consider.

Also, if it's possible, be discreet in recording. I have found that, no matter the profession, people tend to behave better when they know they are "on the air", versus having a feeling that no one can prove wrong doing.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Have any of you ever been arrested for refusing to turn your camera off?

No, but I have been threatened with arrest -- I continue anyway. Hey, if this is a hill they wish to die on, go for it.

One has to make clear that you will not allow them to stop you. Then they leave you alone. They know you can video tape them .. they just don't like it (who would?).

I normally am not all up in their face ... I have something called a zoom feature in my camera and I can hook it up to my telescope so I can tape someone like I'm 2 inches away from 100 yards easy. Sweet. Its nice when you know you'll have something to tape or when time permits. Normally its just me and my camera ... I have had people look at my telescope set up and say "cool"..but its nothing mysterious or novel about the setup.

Last edited:

desertborn

I was told NHP does require their Troopers to wear AV equipment but not all the time. BTW I heard this from an officer so take it for what its worth.

PFC HALE

here is a good tip for iphone owners.

i tried it and it works.

set up phone with a passkey to unlock it then start voice memo recording, hit the top lock button. put it top down in shirt pocket so mic is up. if cop pulls phone out and sees that its recording but locked he cant do sh!t. if he shuts the phone off the recording will still save to that point. but its discrete and he may never realize its on in your pocket.

jpa

Not everyone with a camera is a sovereign citizen. Not every sovereign citizen is going to be videotaping or even have a camera. To make that assumption is foolish and dangerous. The sovereign citizen father and son in West Memphis, AR that jumped out of the minivan and started shooting the police on a traffic stop didn't have cameras.

Every idiot and their mother has a camera on their cell phone and thinks they're going to have the next viral video on youtube. Nothing to get excited about, really.

john-in-reno

Not everyone with a camera is a sovereign citizen. Not every sovereign citizen is going to be videotaping or even have a camera. To make that assumption is foolish and dangerous. The sovereign citizen father and son in West Memphis, AR that jumped out of the minivan and started shooting the police on a traffic stop didn't have cameras.

Every idiot and their mother has a camera on their cell phone and thinks they're going to have the next viral video on youtube. Nothing to get excited about, really.

???????????????

papa bear

???????????????

What don't you understand?

first thing is, i don't understand the sovereign thing. if you are a citizen, you are sovereign. know too, that as individuals, the LEOs are civilians, but as government employees they are subject to the same rules as the government.
a video camera is a lot different than a AR 15, i don't think (no mater what the LEO say) that there will be confusion in the two. if someone is trying to shoot you with a gun, then you can shoot back. someone video taping is doing no harm to anyone.

if you are not doing anything wrong you wouldn't have a problem with be filmed