• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

video recording the police

davidmcbeth

Banned
Not everyone with a camera is a sovereign citizen. Not every sovereign citizen is going to be videotaping or even have a camera. To make that assumption is foolish and dangerous. The sovereign citizen father and son in West Memphis, AR that jumped out of the minivan and started shooting the police on a traffic stop didn't have cameras.

Every idiot and their mother has a camera on their cell phone and thinks they're going to have the next viral video on youtube. Nothing to get excited about, really.

What makes a sovereign citizen or what are some of the characteristics of a SC? Lets see that the FBI says:
Several indicators can help identify these individuals.

References to the Bible, The Constitution of the United States, U.S. Supreme Court decisions, or treaties with foreign governments
http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/p...nt-bulletin/september-2011/sovereign-citizens

I had my Attny Gen officer try to paint me as a SC in a hearing -- I brought up what the FBI considered the tell-tale signs of being a SC and said you cannot believe the FBI --- everyone is a terrorist in their eyes.

The AG got all pissed off -- I told him that if he thought I was a terrorist then he should arrest me on the spot -- or shut the hell up. He shut up after that point.

jpa

first thing is, i don't understand the sovereign thing. if you are a citizen, you are sovereign. know too, that as individuals, the LEOs are civilians, but as government employees they are subject to the same rules as the government.
a video camera is a lot different than a AR 15, i don't think (no mater what the LEO say) that there will be confusion in the two. if someone is trying to shoot you with a gun, then you can shoot back. someone video taping is doing no harm to anyone.

if you are not doing anything wrong you wouldn't have a problem with be filmed

Sovereign citizen refers to a specific group that has anti-LE and anti-government leanings. They don't register their cars, they don't have driver's licenses, they refuse to submit to legitimate government authority and in some cases, assault LE. I know open carriers who record their interactions with law enforcement and there are plenty of tourists who surround the police with camera phones out anytime they see a traffic stop, a pedestrian stop or a fight in progress. The majority of these people have ID, register their cars and would never think of assaulting the police. To lump one in with the other is inaccurate and unfair.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
here is a good tip for iphone owners.

i tried it and it works.

set up phone with a passkey to unlock it then start voice memo recording, hit the top lock button. put it top down in shirt pocket so mic is up. if cop pulls phone out and sees that its recording but locked he cant do sh!t. if he shuts the phone off the recording will still save to that point. but its discrete and he may never realize its on in your pocket.

If he pulls the phone out, ask "Why are you taking away my phone?" He he starts trying to turn it off, ask "Why are you turning off my phone?"

Get a record that the cop is attempting to interfere with the recording.

papa bear

sovereignty was what citizens were a long time before any movement.

sov·er·eign (s
obreve.gif
v
prime.gif
schwa.gif
r-
ibreve.gif
n, s
obreve.gif
v
prime.gif
r
ibreve.gif
n)n.1. One that exercises supreme, permanent authority, especially in a nation or other governmental unit, as:a. A king, queen, or other noble person who serves as chief of state; a ruler or monarch.
b. A national governing council or committee.

2. A nation that governs territory outside its borders.
3. A gold coin formerly used in Great Britain.

adj.1. Self-governing; independent: a sovereign state.
2. Having supreme rank or power: a sovereign prince.
3. Paramount; supreme: Her sovereign virtue is compassion.
4. a. Of superlative strength or efficacy: a sovereign remedy.
b. Unmitigated: sovereign contempt.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Sovereign citizen refers to a specific group that has anti-LE and anti-government leanings. They don't register their cars, they don't have driver's licenses, they refuse to submit to legitimate government authority and in some cases, assault LE. I know open carriers who record their interactions with law enforcement and there are plenty of tourists who surround the police with camera phones out anytime they see a traffic stop, a pedestrian stop or a fight in progress. The majority of these people have ID, register their cars and would never think of assaulting the police. To lump one in with the other is inaccurate and unfair.

Could you be more specific about your definition of "legitimate government authority"?

Such as where the "authority comes from?

Specifically what makes it legitimate?

Not trying to get off base, these are the true questions my head was asking when I read this post!

jpa

Could you be more specific about your definition of "legitimate government authority"?

Such as where the "authority comes from?

Specifically what makes it legitimate?

Not trying to get off base, these are the true questions my head was asking when I read this post!

I don't get how you don't understand the definition of legitimate but here it is from the dictionary....

le·git·i·mate [adj., n. li-jit-uh-mit; v. li-jit-uh-meyt] Show IPA adjective, verb, le·git·i·mat·ed, le·git·i·mat·ing, noun
adjective
1. according to law; lawful: the property's legitimate owner.
2. in accordance with established rules, principles, or standards.
3. born in wedlock or of legally married parents: legitimate children.
4. in accordance with the laws of reasoning; logically inferable; logical: a legitimate conclusion.
5. resting on or ruling by the principle of hereditary right: a legitimate sovereign.

I think the best fitting to our purpose here would be #1, "according to the law; lawful." If the conduct of the officer is within the law, compliance is required.

I'm not going to let you bait me into arguing whether laws are constitutional or not since that's a matter for courts to decide, not you and not me and definitely not the cop on the street.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I don't get how you don't understand the definition of legitimate but here it is from the dictionary....

I think the best fitting to our purpose here would be #1, "according to the law; lawful." If the conduct of the officer is within the law, compliance is required.

I'm not going to let you bait me into arguing whether laws are constitutional or not since that's a matter for courts to decide, not you and not me and definitely not the cop on the street.

Not trying to "bait" you into an argument, Your response was correct I believe. I have recently started asking myself a ton of questions. My questions are along the lines of; What makes the government legitimate? is it because they say they are (laws,) or because we say they are? If it is because we say they are.... why is it we cannot take it back when things go south?

These are some of my thoughts, I am not trying to convince anyone I am wrong, or right, or plain crazy, I am however sourcing opinions and feedback when the opportunity presents itself, that is why I asked. Thanks for your time.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Not trying to "bait" you into an argument, Your response was correct I believe. I have recently started asking myself a ton of questions. My questions are along the lines of;

1. What makes the government legitimate? is it because they say they are (laws,) or because we say they are?

2. If it is because we say they are.... why is it we cannot take it back when things go south?

These are some of my thoughts, I am not trying to convince anyone I am wrong, or right, or plain crazy, I am however sourcing opinions and feedback when the opportunity presents itself, that is why I asked. Thanks for your time.

2. We cannot take it back because they are lying to us. The second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence borrowed heavily from John Locke's 1689 Second Treatise on Government. Recall the clause "...to secure these rights governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed." Well, if you can't withdraw your consent and opt-out of being governed, then government is not governing by consent. Also, where was your consent recorded? As in, where did you sign a contract to be governed by the fedgov or stategov? As in, where's the paperwork showing your voluntary and entirely consensual application to join the rest of the group who submitted to the laws, rules, and regulations of the government? So, you and I did not consent in the first place, nor can we withdraw our consent. So, no legitimacy.

The first clause of the constitution is a bald-faced lie. "We the people..." BS!! Only the people who wrote it, those who promoted it during the ratification period, and exactly and only those who voted to ratify it at the state level. Not "we the people", not by a long shot. Lots of people were opposed to the constitution. Ratification was a close-run thing. Rhode Island was the only state to submit the constitution to a state-wide referendum of all the voters--and they defeated it 11-1.

The pre-amble to the constitution also contains the clause "...and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity..." Phffft! Another lie. They had no authority to bind successive generations. First they pretend "we the people" enacted the constitution, falsely portraying the authority to rule people who did not consent. Then they pretend they have the authority to extend that non-authority to successive generations. Who gave them that consent? Those successive generations they were binding weren't even born yet. Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to (James Madison?) laid out some very cogent arguments as to why one generation cannot bind a later generation.

1. Nothing makes the government legitimate. Its not legitimate. No person can legitimately govern another without that other's consent. The whole theory of granted powers depends on it. That is to say, the so-called government only has the power it is granted. And, it cannot have any power that an individual does not have to give. No single person has the power to govern me. He's my equal. Nor, I the power to govern others. By no stretch of logic can an aggregation of people (majority) suddenly aquire authority. Such a majority would still only be a lot of individuals who still didn't have the power to rule over others unless those others consented.

Now, if forty or 300 million people wanted to form a government for their own protection, that's their right. If they want to transfer some of their authority and also consent to be governed that is their right. But, their authority stops with themselves. It cannot extend to one single person more until that person voluntarily joins their mutual-protection society organization called government. And, their authority over that person ends when he withdraws his consent.

The confusion and uncertainty stems from the mental gymnastics used by government, the power hungry, and control-seekers to maintain the lie. For example, majority rule with so-called restrictions to protect the minority (aka the Bill of Rights). "Quick, extoll the virtues of the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Keep their minds focused there. Keep them arguing over whether this or that law is constitutional or whether an action violates the Bill of Rights. Keep distracting them so they never look squarely at the underlying premise of majority rule. Always mis-educate them about majority rule; best to do it while they're young so they accept it without question." Majority rule contains the false premise that somehow a majority's will is legitimate and can be extended to non-consenters just because they're the majority. It is literally just as arbitrary and baseless as a king claiming divine right.

Until the day when each and every individual who is governed gives his consent, can withdraw his consent, and can opt-out of being governed, government has no legitimacy.

It really is that simple. Just look it over thoroughly yourself. You'll find pretty quick which ideas about government fit and which don't. For example, delegated powers. Do I have the legitimate power to threaten you into paying me 30% of your income? No, of course not. Then, there is no way that I can delegate that non-existent power to another aka tax collection. Even if 51% of us agreed it was a good thing, we still couldn't delegate a power none of us legitimately had. Just because we are a majority does not suddenly legitimize it. Only if you first agreed/consented to pay whichever taxes were levied by the government would it be legitimate to tax you. The consent aspect aligns and organizes things very nicely. Anything else reduces to thugs bossing others around just because they want to, and victimizing them.

Last edited:

shadowed_stranger

2. We cannot take it back because they are lying to us. The second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence borrowed heavily from John Locke's 1689 Second Treatise on Government. Recall the clause "...to secure these rights governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed." Well, if you can't withdraw your consent and opt-out of being governed, then government is not governing by consent. Also, where was your consent recorded? As in, where did you sign a contract to be governed by the fedgov or stategov? As in, where's the paperwork showing your voluntary and entirely consensual application to join the rest of the group who submitted to the laws, rules, and regulations of the government? So, you and I did not consent in the first place, nor can we withdraw our consent. So, no legitimacy.

The first clause of the constitution is a bald-faced lie. "We the people..." BS!! Only the people who wrote it, those who promoted it during the ratification period, and exactly and only those who voted to ratify it at the state level. Not "we the people", not by a long shot. Lots of people were opposed to the constitution. Ratification was a close-run thing. Rhode Island was the only state to submit the constitution to a state-wide referendum of all the voters--and they defeated it 11-1.

The pre-amble to the constitution also contains the clause "...and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity..." Phffft! Another lie. They had no authority to bind successive generations. First they pretend "we the people" enacted the constitution, falsely portraying the authority to rule people who did not consent. Then they pretend they have the authority to extend that non-authority to successive generations. Who gave them that consent? Those successive generations they were binding weren't even born yet. Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to (James Madison?) laid out some very cogent arguments as to why one generation cannot bind a later generation.

1. Nothing makes the government legitimate. Its not legitimate. No person can legitimately govern another without that other's consent. The whole theory of granted powers depends on it. That is to say, the so-called government only has the power it is granted. And, it cannot have any power that an individual does not have to give. No single person has the power to govern me. He's my equal. Nor, I the power to govern others. By no stretch of logic can an aggregation of people (majority) suddenly aquire authority. Such a majority would still only be a lot of individuals who still didn't have the power to rule over others unless those others consented.

Now, if forty or 300 million people wanted to form a government for their own protection, that's their right. If they want to transfer some of their authority and also consent to be governed that is their right. But, their authority stops with themselves. It cannot extend to one single person more until that person voluntarily joins their mutual-protection society organization called government. And, their authority over that person ends when he withdraws his consent.

The confusion and uncertainty stems from the mental gymnastics used by government, the power hungry, and control-seekers to maintain the lie. For example, majority rule with so-called restrictions to protect the minority (aka the Bill of Rights). "Quick, extoll the virtues of the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Keep their minds focused there. Keep them arguing over whether this or that law is constitutional or whether an action violates the Bill of Rights. Keep distracting them so they never look squarely at the underlying premise of majority rule. Always mis-educate them about majority rule; best to do it while they're young so they accept it without question." Majority rule contains the false premise that somehow a majority's will is legitimate and can be extended to non-consenters just because they're the majority. It is literally just as arbitrary and baseless as a king claiming divine right.

Until the day when each and every individual who is governed gives his consent, can withdraw his consent, and can opt-out of being governed, government has no legitimacy.

It really is that simple. Just look it over thoroughly yourself. You'll find pretty quick which ideas about government fit and which don't. For example, delegated powers. Do I have the legitimate power to threaten you into paying me 30% of your income? No, of course not. Then, there is no way that I can delegate that non-existent power to another aka tax collection. Even if 51% of us agreed it was a good thing, we still couldn't delegate a power none of us legitimately had. Just because we are a majority does not suddenly legitimize it. Only if you first agreed/consented to pay whichever taxes were levied by the government would it be legitimate to tax you. The consent aspect aligns and organizes things very nicely. Anything else reduces to thugs bossing others around just because they want to, and victimizing them.

I like this group more every day.

OC for ME

Intimidation under the guise of a lawful command is unlawful everywhere as far as I know. A citizen must never physically resist the actions of a cop regardless of the perceived lawfulness of the cop's actions, this only leads to unfortunate consequences for the citizen. Evoke your rights in a lawful manner.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Thanks Citizen, That is exactly where my head was going, you have a much better way of saying it however.

Thanks, but all I did was take other fellas' ideas and run with it, looking for other angles and other ways it might apply.

One other fella was Lysander Spooner. In his 1870 essay, No Treason, he gives an example. I'll paraphrase it. A highwayman (robber) is wrong to rob you. He has no authority. Well, what if five guys got together and selected one of themselves to rob you on their behalf? Still no legitimacy. Thus, an election cannot confer legitimacy to tax you.

And, Spooner talks about consent.

Oh, and Jefferson's comments about lack of legitimacy to bind successive generations. It was my idea to compare binding successive generations to Spooner on consent. How does Jefferson and Spooner stack up together? Oh! Its obvious. Those successive generations weren't even born yet. There is no possible way they consented.

All I did was take their ideas and run with them and so forth. The key elements belong to Locke, Spooner, and Jefferson as far as I know. Its kinda liberating actually--taking the idea and running with it. Suddenly the whole web of lies told by government comes into focus. The fog is lifted, as it were. Jefferson planted the hints right there in the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence, as borrowed from John Locke.

shadowed_stranger

Intimidation under the guise of a lawful command is unlawful everywhere as far as I know. A citizen must never physically resist the actions of a cop regardless of the perceived lawfulness of the cop's actions, this only leads to unfortunate consequences for the citizen. Evoke your rights in a lawful manner.

For the Nevada folks in here, check out NRS 197.200 - Oppression under color of office.(http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-197.html). (And since you're in NRS197, read .130 and .140 too, they are fun.)

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Thanks, but all I did was take other fellas' ideas and run with it, looking for other angles and other ways it might apply.

One other fella was Lysander Spooner. In his 1870 essay, No Treason, he gives an example. I'll paraphrase it. A highwayman (robber) is wrong to rob you. He has no authority. Well, what if five guys got together and selected one of themselves to rob you on their behalf? Still no legitimacy. Thus, an election cannot confer legitimacy to tax you.

And, Spooner talks about consent.

Oh, and Jefferson's comments about lack of legitimacy to bind successive generations. It was my idea to compare binding successive generations to Spooner on consent. How does Jefferson and Spooner stack up together? Oh! Its obvious. Those successive generations weren't even born yet. There is no possible way they consented.

All I did was take their ideas and run with them and so forth. The key elements belong to Locke, Spooner, and Jefferson as far as I know. Its kinda liberating actually--taking the idea and running with it. Suddenly the whole web of lies told by government comes into focus. The fog is lifted, as it were. Jefferson planted the hints right there in the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence, as borrowed from John Locke.

Wow that seems a pretty straight forward read, and I believe someone a few weeks ago said they were buying that book for me. I was reading in the 1500's I think during or around the french revolution. this is only 80 pages, the first 10-15 I struggled with, after that I couldn't put it down.

read it here...
http://etiennedelaboetie.net/files/...ence_the-discourse-of-voluntary-servitude.pdf