• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick Question

footballsman99

I currently live in VA, but will be moving to SC in a few months time. I am going down there in a few weeks to get my job sorted out and find a place to stay. I have some friends down there that want me to go shooting with them. Can I legally carry my handguns from VA through NC to SC without a weapons permit? They will be locked in a safe in my trunk, field stripped. Just want to make sure I am staying within the law here.

Fuller Malarkey

As much as I detest gun control legislation, we did get some protections in the Firearms Owners Protection Act in 1986.

18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms or The Safe Passage Provision

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

ETA: All bets are off in DC. I'm as nervous as a Chihuahua trying to poop a peach pit when in Maryland. I won't carry anything firearm related into New Jersey. I've never had problems between Virginia and Florida. I do have carry permits that cover the states I travel through going south.

Last edited:

John Canuck

I moved from VA to SC as well. What part are you moving too?

You will be fine transporting in the manner described. You may also carry a loaded handgun in SC as long as it's in a glovebox or console. Under the seat is not kosher.

Throttleup

Moving to SC

Welcome. I'm assuming you also have a loaded handgun you want to have access to for self defense while traveling. While in NC, keep it on the front seat or dash in plain view. Upon entering SC, put it in the glove compartment or center console. The compartment must be closed but not locked. If you are staying in a hotel, transfer it to a case or gun rug and take it in with you. Good luck

hp-hobo

Welcome. I'm assuming you also have a loaded handgun you want to have access to for self defense while traveling. While in NC, keep it on the front seat or dash in plain view. Upon entering SC, put it in the glove compartment or center console. The compartment must be closed but not locked. If you are staying in a hotel, transfer it to a case or gun rug and take it in with you. Good luck
Let me clarify two things here.

If you have your SD firearm in the console or glove compartment, it must be closed but does not have to be locked. You may lock it if you wish.

And, if you're staying in a hotel you can case it to carry it in, but you can also holster it as long as you're going directly from point A to point B.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

15) a person while transferring a handgun directly from or to a vehicle and a location specified in this section where one may legally possess the handgun.
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

Last edited: