• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada QUIT honoring the AZ CCW (again)?

Cava3r4

It looks like Nevada has chosen to once again NOT honor an AZ CCW.
Is this true or false?
TIA
Bob

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Yes, it became effective on March 01, 2013 with less than a week's notice from the ruling. We have a non-governmental agency that is delegated this power by the state. We are working on fixing that.

FreeInAZ

Yes Bob this is true for now.

This was a heavy handed response to AZ dropping the shooting requirements & allowing applicants to pass online training courses. AZ shares in part of the issue, as they should have issued these "online" / no range time CCW's as a Class "B" or some other designation. That way states like NV could say "we don't honor class b AZ permits, but the standard ones (classroom / ranget time) are still fine. My training was equal to or more difficult to what most NV permit holders take. Yet that is suddenly not good enough for NV?

Last edited:

azcdlfred

AZ shares in part of the issue, as they should have issued these "online" / no range time CCW's as a Class "B" or some other designation.
The issue is not how to make Arizona's laws more restrictive to conform to other states' laws but for other states, like Nevada, to work towards restoring the RIGHT to bear arms in their states. Years ago (thanks to AzCDL) Arizona law was changed to recognize ALL permits from all states.

Regarding the online courses. Check out ARS 13-3112(N) for what is accepted.

After Constitutional Carry was passed, Arizona CCW law now mirrors Florida law which has been copied by several other states. Non-governmental agency approved courses must be taught by NRA instructors. NRA forbids online courses (I'm an NRA instructor). If someone offers and online course and states they are an NRA instructor, they are violating NRA policy. This violates ARS 13-3102(N).

/rant off :cool:
Fred

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The issue is not how to make Arizona's laws more restrictive to conform to other states' laws but for other states, like Nevada, to work towards restoring the RIGHT to bear arms in their states. ...

After Constitutional Carry was passed, Arizona CCW law now mirrors Florida law which has been copied by several other states. Non-governmental agency approved courses must be taught by NRA instructors. NRA forbids online courses (I'm an NRA instructor). If someone offers and online course and states they are an NRA instructor, they are violating NRA policy. ...

Does NRA forbid its instructors from conducting a non-NRA course online? I don't do online courses, but I wouldn't think so. CCW-specific courses, in most states, are not "NRA courses," and we instructors are allowed to advertise that a course is being taught by an NRA-certified instructor as long as we put equal emphasis on the fact that the course is "Not an NRA-Approved Course." If we are not advertising that the instructor is NRA-certified, then the caveat is unnecessary. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I agree with wanting Constitutional Carry here as well, but as for Nevada's right to bear arms, NV has less regulation on OC than AZ does.

Last edited:

azcdlfred

Does NRA forbid its instructors from conducting a non-NRA course online? I don't do online courses, but I wouldn't think so. CCW-specific courses, in most states, are not "NRA courses," and we instructors are allowed to advertise that a course is being taught by an NRA-certified instructor as long as we put equal emphasis on the fact that the course is "Not an NRA-Approved Course." If we are not advertising that the instructor is NRA-certified, then the caveat is unnecessary. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Courses you teach that don't hint of being associated with the NRA are fine. And it looks like if you associate your NRA credentials with a legitimate course, you are in the clear.

Here's a quote from the official NRA policy: "If NRA’s name or your NRA credentials are associated with a course, you must, among other things, actually work with the students, face-to-face, to allow you to evaluate whether they perform the safe operation of a firearm, and shoot with a sufficient level of skill. This policy applies to any course which might result in issuing any certificate that bears the title of NRA Certified Instructor, or if the course is associated in any way whatsoever with a certification issued by the NRA."

The policy specifically outlaws online courses: "Under no circumstances may NRA’s name or your NRA credentials be associated with any online firearms training course."

Which brings us back to someone advertising an online CCW course. If they don't mention they are an NRA instructor, I don't see how it complies with ARS 13-3112, but DPS doesn't seem to care. And if they do mention they are an NRA instructor, that violates NRA policy which means to me that the course is not in compliance with ARS 13-3112, but then again, DPS doesn't seem to care.

My two cents. I'm not an attorney and don't play one on TV.

Fred

FreeInAZ

Fred - I understand your points. However it "seems" that the new "nintendo or nice dinner out" ccw issued by DPS are simply a revenue stream & not much ado about rights to those in AZ gov. Let's be honest - a good portion of the folks that are getting the new online ccw are not worried about reciprocity, they simply want to discreetly carry in places that sell alcohol for consumption by the glass. They can do so now and I'm happy for them. I am not happy that I have lost some of my carry options when visiting our property in NV, that I enjoyed just a short time ago do to the poor implimentation/execution by AZ law makers & DPS. Just as DPS hoped they are flooded with new applicants and wait times are now varying between 8-12 weeks. Business is good for them as of late. ;)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...official NRA policy: "If NRA’s name or your NRA credentials are associated with a course, you must, among other things, actually work with the students, face-to-face, to allow you to evaluate whether they perform the safe operation of a firearm, and shoot with a sufficient level of skill. This policy applies to any course which might result in issuing any certificate that bears the title of NRA Certified Instructor, or if the course is associated in any way whatsoever with a certification issued by the NRA."

The policy specifically outlaws online courses: "Under no circumstances may NRA’s name or your NRA credentials be associated with any online firearms training course."

Which brings us back to someone advertising an online CCW course. If they don't mention they are an NRA instructor, I don't see how it complies with ARS 13-3112, but DPS doesn't seem to care. And if they do mention they are an NRA instructor, that violates NRA policy which means to me that the course is not in compliance with ARS 13-3112, but then again, DPS doesn't seem to care...

I think you are absolutely correct on this!

Last edited:

azcdlfred

Fred - I understand your points. However it "seems" that the new "nintendo or nice dinner out" ccw issued by DPS are simply a revenue stream & not much ado about rights to those in AZ gov. Let's be honest - a good portion of the folks that are getting the new online ccw are not worried about reciprocity, they simply want to discreetly carry in places that sell alcohol for consumption by the glass. They can do so now and I'm happy for them. I am not happy that I have lost some of my carry options when visiting our property in NV, that I enjoyed just a short time ago do to the poor implimentation/execution by AZ law makers & DPS. Just as DPS hoped they are flooded with new applicants and wait times are now varying between 8-12 weeks. Business is good for them as of late. ;)
DPS didn't figure on an increase in permits, and after Constitutional Carry gutted much of their CCW processing staff. After a brief dip (I monitor this) in permit applications, they started to rise and now more are coming in than they can handle.

Please keep in mind that Nevada recognizing ANY permits is relatively new and they recognized Arizona's for the first time in 2010, before Constitutional Carry was passed. At the time, I figured just like with Utah and Florida, that Nevada would rescind the recognition. Utah had made no change to their CCW process but Nevada dropped them. Florida, which Arizona's permit is now modeled after was only rescinded because Florida changed to a 7 year permit, not because of the underlying law (again, which Arizona law mirrors).

And, like I mentioned earlier, it's not Arizona's duty to make our laws more restrictive for the hope that Nevada will honor our permits. The problem lies with Nevada - they need to honor the right to bear arms. Nevada recognition of other states permits is not based on legislation. It's based on the whim of the Nevada Sheriff's association which has carte blanche to make the rules. The only remedy is for the Nevada legislature, like Arizona's, to change law to recognize other state's permits.

Long before the brief 2 year period that Nevada blessed us with recognition, I have held a Nevada permit. I prefer to go through the hassles of renewing (requires a visit to Nevada to take another course for each renewal) than to push to make Arizona less free for the convenience of one state's reciprocity. It's what Ben Franklin warned about in his quote about sacrificing liberty for safety.

Fred

FreeInAZ

@Fred - I get it, always have. We agree. I think my "idea" would not have posed any more restrictions on any one though and made resiprocity issues less likely for those who don't want the hassles you currently go through. It's a moot point anyways, what's done is done. Not against any training ever when it comes to firearms. But again, training should not be mandated to be able to protect ones own life or others. The founders knew this. And right now back at you with quotes from Madison - " a government that does not trust its law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms, is itself unworthy of trust." and this gem "The essence of Government is power; and power, lodged as it must be in human hands, will ever be liable to abuse."

Last edited:

Cava3r4

sux, I took the class and it was two days long and I had to shoot 60 rounds to qualify (as did everyone else in that class).

Sonora Rebel

I can add Nevada to one more state I won't visit anymore. Open carry is bit dicey too... Clark County in particular. Any state that has Harry Reid as a rep is libtard left anyway.

azcdlfred

sux, I took the class and it was two days long and I had to shoot 60 rounds to qualify (as did everyone else in that class).
I got my Nevada CCW permit (and renewal) via Front Sight.

For those who may be interested, as a fund raiser AzCDL has a limited number of Front Sight Diamond memberships, which include the CCW course, for sale at our online store.

Fred

chrsjhnsn

I can add Nevada to one more state I won't visit anymore. Open carry is bit dicey too... Clark County in particular. Any state that has Harry Reid as a rep is libtard left anyway.

It was a stolen election, but I hear you loud and clear - its much better up north and outside of Clarke County but bad enough that I have pondered moving