• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Police OPEN CARRY Training Bulletin requested

smokeyburnout

Ummm before this memo came out i was stopped by state police for OC and wasn't arrested. Saying that as soon as you were seen by police you would be arrested is just false. Would some police do that? Im sure they did.
Im not completely disagreeing with you. I agree that its good that they realize its lawful to open carry but i do not approve of a memo that acknowledges 1 right while trampling another

motoxmann

Ummm before this memo came out i was stopped by state police for OC and wasn't arrested. Saying that as soon as you were seen by police you would be arrested is just false. Would some police do that? Im sure they did.
Im not completely disagreeing with you. I agree that its good that they realize its lawful to open carry but i do not approve of a memo that acknowledges 1 right while trampling another

I agree with this.
previously, people were getting arrested for simply OC'ing.
now, they know and acknowledge that OC is legal, and can't/won't arrest for it, but they are now pretty much being told to stop and demand to see a permit from anyone and everyone they see OC'ing, and arrest them if they don't provide a permit for whatever reason.

granted anyone carrying should have their permit, and displaying it to the officer should theoretically allow them to immediately leave without hassle. but to demand ID from anyone seen OC'ing is still illegal as most people know. guess we'll just see how this pans out over time. I'll be OC'ing a lot more now that it's warmer out, I'll report back on whatever I discover in my daily routines

Rich B

The ID demand is simply the next step in the process. Nothing more, nothing less.

Saying it is a step backwards or that it made things worse is ridiculous. Keep perspective.

Tactical9mm

Let's hope the Identification demand doesn't also develop into mandatory magazine checks when stopped (to insure compliance with the 10-round limit).

I could see it happening along the lines of what was going on before in California with the unloaded open-carry checks; stopped, disarmed, mag ejected and checked. That sort of thing.

Hope it doesn't happen in Connecticut, but I could see it as a way "they" could make OC more of an inconvenience versus CC (the stop never occurring in the first place).

davidmcbeth

Banned
I agree with this.
previously, people were getting arrested for simply OC'ing.
now, they know and acknowledge that OC is legal, and can't/won't arrest for it, but they are now pretty much being told to stop and demand to see a permit from anyone and everyone they see OC'ing, and arrest them if they don't provide a permit for whatever reason.

granted anyone carrying should have their permit, and displaying it to the officer should theoretically allow them to immediately leave without hassle. but to demand ID from anyone seen OC'ing is still illegal as most people know. guess we'll just see how this pans out over time. I'll be OC'ing a lot more now that it's warmer out, I'll report back on whatever I discover in my daily routines

That's why a FOI request for records relating to the memo is in order. Why did they produce a flawed memo? It ain't for our benefit.

brk913

As I linked in another post a recent 4th Circuit decision makes it quite clear that what's in this memo regarding asking for a permit is a violation of your 4th Amendment Rights, while not binding on CT, the DESPP should surely look at the decision and update this supposed training memo before they get sued.

http://www.fedagent.com/columns/cas...ysis-of-the-free-to-leave-standard-of-seizure

"More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states.”

davidmcbeth

Banned
DESPP knows that they cannot simply stop people and ask questions or demand paperwork -- they issued this out just to protect the cops from 1983 suits, as you suspected.

Soon they'll be knocking at our doors asking to see our guns & mags that are declared ...

This is a first step.