• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lakeside mall rent-a-cop tells me I can't OC on public road.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Okay, first of all I would like to say I am one of the Lakeside Mall cops and I don't appreciate you slamming the entire dept over an incident you're butt hurt over. Save your sob story in regards to that. Also, I don't know who you delt with or who the officer was that you came in contact with, but the officers here are professional and either current or retired military and current or retired LEO's (That's Law Enforcement Officer...keep up junior) or going into the Law Enforcement field.

Secondly, there is no road that connects Schoenherr and Hall. There are 'finger roads' that are public through-ways that you can turn onto off of Hayes, Schoenherr, and Hall, but they all lead to Lakeside Circle, which is mall owned property. If you're on the outskirts of Lakeside Circle, have a ball. Show off your fancy gun and what-not. Once you step onto Lakeside Circle, it's considered private property and you're under our direction. Just wanted to clarify that with you.

As far as MCSO, they won't show up here unless there is a serious accident. Again, because it's private property, us "mall ninjas" have to deal with it. We have a hard enough time getting sterling here on an accident. But, we are medically trained, as well as able to write parking citations and accident reports for the police department.

I'm all for the 2nd amendment. I'm about as pro gun as it gets. But rules are rules and laws are laws. It's life. Deal with it.

talk about a sob story...
i definitely see a HUGE case of gun envy here.

"I'm about as pro gun as it gets."
AND
"Show off your fancy gun and what-not."

sorry mall ninja, those two statements are mutually exclusive. care to rephrase? anyone who is TRULY "about as pro gun as it gets" does not throw around insults about guns being for show off. if you are a former LEO or military (as i am) you need to get over yourself. cops are not the only people cool enough to "show off your fancy gun."

wizzi01

Okay, first of all I would like to say I am one of the Lakeside Mall cops and I don't appreciate you slamming the entire dept over an incident you're butt hurt over. Save your sob story in regards to that. Also, I don't know who you delt with or who the officer was that you came in contact with, but the officers here are professional and either current or retired military and current or retired LEO's (That's Law Enforcement Officer...keep up junior) or going into the Law Enforcement field.

Secondly, there is no road that connects Schoenherr and Hall. There are 'finger roads' that are public through-ways that you can turn onto off of Hayes, Schoenherr, and Hall, but they all lead to Lakeside Circle, which is mall owned property. If you're on the outskirts of Lakeside Circle, have a ball. Show off your fancy gun and what-not. Once you step onto Lakeside Circle, it's considered private property and you're under our direction. Just wanted to clarify that with you.

As far as MCSO, they won't show up here unless there is a serious accident. Again, because it's private property, us "mall ninjas" have to deal with it. We have a hard enough time getting sterling here on an accident. But, we are medically trained, as well as able to write parking citations and accident reports for the police department.

I'm all for the 2nd amendment. I'm about as pro gun as it gets. But rules are rules and laws are laws. It's life. Deal with it.

Speaking of butt hurt

Raggs

What kind of medical training do you receive? I am not Marcus Welby MD but even I know you don't move an injured person from an accident unless there is a greater imminent threat... Also it seems you are also glorified meter maids, well done!

OneForAll

Michigan does not give him protection under the Good Samaritan Law (Liability of Certain Persons for Emergency Care, MCL Act 17 of 1963) so his decision to move the lady would most likely be seen by any personal injury lawyer as the unlicensed practice of medicine - http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(uc...ame=mcl-333-17011&query=on&highlight=medicine

Yes, Michigan does has a Good Samaritan Law. I have been certified in AED and CPR since high school and we were informed of this in class.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ph...g.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-691-1504

As a matter of fact, Michigan is one of the 17 states that has the best Good Samaritan laws.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2239336/

While I am not a lawyer, I believe the MCL you posted is about having to have a license to practice medicine. (Not helping someone in need, when they otherwise could not do it themselves.)

Last edited:

DocWalker

I was also thinking about what type of medical training your mall requires you to have? As a paramedic and retired military I question the training if you are defending extrication of someone from a secure and none life threatening situation.

The second thing is you may need a Haldol or Ativan as your post seemed very hostile to the OP when he was only complaining about one of your security guys. There are bad apples in every job are you defending this dude? It sounds a lot like this guy was younger and probably wanting to be a LEO; I sure hope he doesn't get the chance he has a bad attitude.

wizzi01

I was also thinking about what type of medical training your mall requires you to have? As a paramedic and retired military I question the training if you are defending extrication of someone from a secure and none life threatening situation.

The second thing is you may need a Haldol or Ativan as your post seemed very hostile to the OP when he was only complaining about one of your security guys. There are bad apples in every job are you defending this dude? It sounds a lot like this guy was younger and probably wanting to be a LEO; I sure hope he doesn't get the chance he has a bad attitude.

He is hostile cause Hevymetal did not respect his AUTHORITIIIII!!!!!!!!!

Hevymetal

I'm not hurt at all, seems like the guard was the one hurt since I basically ignored his orders. "Officer" is a relative term, he was unprofessional, ignorant and certainly rude.

It was a public road, NOT Lakeside property. Also note: I wasn't showing anything off. I stopped to offer assistance. Of all the people on scene HE was the ONLY one who had a problem with my firearm.

Well he must have miserably failed that course. Parking citations hahaha, like the one they wrote me because they were either too lazy or stupid to check and notice I had a handicap plate and not a placard hanging from the mirror. If that is indicative of the medical training you have had, please just let me lay on the floor after having a heart attack. I will have a better chance of survival being left alone then if one of your "medically" trained staff tries to help me.

I delt with it alright, I attended to the victim ignoring the Rent-a-cop. Yes, indeed laws are laws, I humbly suggest you teach your staff them sometime. It may also be beneficial if you could teach them courtesy and respect, but that might be asking too much from you guys.

/rant

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gentlemen - If you will please discuss facts, not perceived personality issues. Some of the recent verbiage used borders on personal insults/attacks - there is no need for that.

Regarding private security officers - they come in all flavors and levels of expertise, just as in all professions. I personally know a couple of them whose knowledge of gun laws and common sense would rival that of the best of us here - count them as my friends too.

jeffrey-r

Okay, first of all I would like to say I am one of the Lakeside Mall cops and I don't appreciate you slamming the entire dept over an incident you're butt hurt over. Save your sob story in regards to that.

Well Jeff, if you re-read the OP you'll see that he's talking about one officer and one incident. I know you are only 24 and only been working at Lakeside since January, but maybe you can still pull your fellow employees aside and share with them this story and what this particular person did wrong.

(On a side note, you went to the same high school I did, that's kind of an interesting coincidence. And your girlfriend is cute, I like the lightning tattoos.)

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Well Jeff, if you re-read the OP you'll see that he's talking about one officer and one incident. I know you are only 24 and only been working at Lakeside since January, but maybe you can still pull your fellow employees aside and share with them this story and what this particular person did wrong.

(On a side note, you went to the same high school I did, that's kind of an interesting coincidence. And your girlfriend is cute, I like the lightning tattoos.)

Now, now - let's not drag the girlfriend into a urination match please.... most people here claim to carry pistols daily... so much for an armed society is a polite society idea.... :(

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

We want to be very careful to not provide identifying information about another user w/o their express authorization. Please stick to discussing the facts of the incident and leave out the personal remarks.

See Forum Rule #3:
(3) PRIVACY: We respect the privacy of our members and will NEVER sell or make available our member's email or other contact information to third-parties.

DetroitBiker

We want to be very careful to not provide identifying information about another user w/o their express authorization. Please stick to discussing the facts of the incident and leave out the personal remarks.

See Forum Rule #3:
(3) PRIVACY: We respect the privacy of our members and will NEVER sell or make available our member's email or other contact information to third-parties.

Umm,the guy has his real Name and the year he was born in his Screen name..Not to hard to Google and find out all his information.
he must not be too concerned about it.
the link to the security company could have provided information on the specific medical training the officers go through. (it was questioned in another post)

:rolleyes:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Umm,the guy has his real Name and the year he was born in his Screen name..Not to hard to Google and find out all his information.
he must not be too concerned about it.
the link to the security company could have provided information on the specific medical training the officers go through. (it was questioned in another post)

:rolleyes:

I understand that as I came to the same conclusion myself regarding his user name. Anyone is obviously free to Google anything they wish; however, posting it here is another matter.

Alternate solution is not to post the direct link, but to suggest how it might be found, but under no circumstances should a home address, phone number or the names of family members (especially minor children) be disclosed. As we value our privacy, so too must we extend that courtesy to others - even those with whom we disagree.