Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: open carry in Augusta/ Manchester area

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Manchester, Me
    Posts
    2

    open carry in Augusta/ Manchester area

    Hi,
    first of all I am new to opencarry.org mainlyglock youtube channel brought me here, I have been open carrying around augusta area while I wait for my cwp to come in mail. I bought a Glock 22 in dark flat earth, I have very nice blackhawk holster. I have been wondering if anybody has any bad reports about carrying in augusta

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lyman, Maine
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey_bearme View Post
    Hi,
    first of all I am new to opencarry.org mainlyglock youtube channel brought me here, I have been open carrying around augusta area while I wait for my cwp to come in mail. I bought a Glock 22 in dark flat earth, I have very nice blackhawk holster. I have been wondering if anybody has any bad reports about carrying in augusta
    Just make sure to avoid the state capitol property and you should be fine.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Orono, ME
    Posts
    467

    Re: open carry in Augusta/ Manchester area

    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    Just make sure to avoid the state capitol property and you should be fine.
    Along with any state property in the "capitol area", correct? Including parks?



    Sent from the back of a black van

  4. #4
    Regular Member MainelyGlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    616
    Glad I was able to bring a new member to the site! Careful where you carry in Augusta.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.



    "I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Manchester, Me
    Posts
    2
    thanks guy I mostly stay out of downtown Augusta and the capitol but I have open carried in tractor supply and wal mart so far with out any problem

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester Maine
    Posts
    216

    Manchester/Augusta carry

    I have carried around this area before. Was quite active in open carry movement at one time. Open carry hasn't been issue in past but the public is spooked with the rash of shootings, schools/theater that have been all over the news. I would be very careful now to use common sense. Don't dress like a bum or act the fool with your firearm. If married with children take them walking around Walmart as you shop. In other words don't give anyone any reason for concerned. You still may get visit from police so be ready mentally for it. Last point you're not alone others have done it and I know of one person in Augusta who hardly goes anywhere without firearm openly.


    Just a after thought, I'm aware of a preacher man who lives somewhere in the community that visits our local Wal Mart with gun in tow:-)

    As you'll see from my post I also live in Manchester, feel free to PM me if you want. I don't very often visit the forum anymore but will check back time to time and will respond to you.
    Last edited by jonjon_jon; 05-16-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    "Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought."

    - Pope John Paul II

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Orono, ME
    Posts
    467

    Re: open carry in Augusta/ Manchester area

    Some would describe the way i dress as "thuggish". I still OC daily.

    Just another antigun gun owner. The way you dress, speak, walk or look should not matter. If you think i should only OC while looking "presentable"( whatever presentable is) you're an anti. People need to stop trying to make rights a " time and place" thing. My rights are valid regardless if I'm wearing a camo thong and warbelt or suit with holster.

    Sent from the back of a black van

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester Maine
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOProds View Post
    Some would describe the way i dress as "thuggish". I still OC daily.

    Just another antigun gun owner. The way you dress, speak, walk or look should not matter. If you think i should only OC while looking "presentable"( whatever presentable is) you're an anti. People need to stop trying to make rights a " time and place" thing. My rights are valid regardless if I'm wearing a camo thong and warbelt or suit with holster.

    Sent from the back of a black van
    Lot's of things shouldn't matter in this world but the fact is it does. Our numbers are few, when you open carry you represent hundred if not thousands of Maine Open Carriers. All I ask is for you to do it well. Your quote for example that I'm a anti gun owner is Inflammatory and serves no usefully purpose so why use it if the goal is to move forward as firearm owners? It's beneath you to assume that I would call you a slob or unfit to carry, I've never even met you. I stand by my statement the public is scared/concerned and it's more important than ever to use little common sense when carrying.
    "Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought."

    - Pope John Paul II

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Orono, ME
    Posts
    467

    Re: open carry in Augusta/ Manchester area

    Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    Lot's of things shouldn't matter in this world but the fact is it does. Our numbers are few, when you open carry you represent hundred if not thousands of Maine Open Carriers. All I ask is for you to do it well. Your quote for example that I'm a anti gun owner is Inflammatory and serves no usefully purpose so why use it if the goal is to move forward as firearm owners? It's beneath you to assume that I would call you a slob or unfit to carry, I've never even met you. I stand by my statement the public is scared/concerned and it's more important than ever to use little common sense when carrying.
    The fact that things matter is because people let it matter. Saying someone should dress or act a certain way while OCing is the same as someone saying you shouldn't OC at all.

    I did not say you would call me unfit but that some do.

    As you stand behind you're statement i stand behind mine. That any restriction or request to to be a certain way while carrying makes the requester antigun. It is the same as CCers saying you shouldn't OC. If someone doesn't support unlimited rights as a gun owner they are are an anti. I don't care how many rallies, protests, letters sent, petitioning someone has done. They are an anti

    Sent from the back of a black van

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester Maine
    Posts
    216
    "If someone doesn't support unlimited rights as a gun owner they are are an anti."




    That's a very general statement.
    That will make most Americans and NRA members anti's. When you keep making such broad statements you alienate half our base. Why can't people have a different view than you and still support open carry movement or firearm ownership without being targets of being called anti's ? It's hard to lead if you attack those who want to follow.
    Last edited by jonjon_jon; 05-17-2013 at 08:03 PM.
    "Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought."

    - Pope John Paul II

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Orono, ME
    Posts
    467

    Re: open carry in Augusta/ Manchester area

    Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    "If someone doesn't support unlimited rights as a gun owner they are are an anti."




    That's a very general statement.
    That will make most Americans and NRA members anti's. When you keep making such broad statements you alienate half our base. Why can't people have a different view than you and still support open carry movement or firearm ownership without being targets of being called anti's ? It's hard to lead if you attack those who want to follow.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I won't persuade you, you won't persuade. I have a right to be naked while OCing if i want. Personally, i don't care if someone is wearing a "kill them all" shirt while OC(i wouldn't do it), as i shouldn't care because it's their right to.

    From reading your responses it appears you support me dressing how i like while OC but don't agree with it. Am i correct? If so i apologize for calling YOU an anti. If I'm wrong about my assumption i don't take it back.

    Eta: To me saying someone should dress a certain way while OC is the same as a hunter owning guns but being for an AWB. Just because someone is for some rights doesn't make them pro.

    Sent from the back of a black van
    Last edited by SPOProds; 05-18-2013 at 05:05 AM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester Maine
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOProds View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I won't persuade you, you won't persuade. I have a right to be naked while OCing if i want. Personally, i don't care if someone is wearing a "kill them all" shirt while OC(i wouldn't do it), as i shouldn't care because it's their right to.

    From reading your responses it appears you support me dressing how i like while OC but don't agree with it. Am i correct? If so i apologize for calling YOU an anti. If I'm wrong about my assumption i don't take it back.

    Eta: To me saying someone should dress a certain way while OC is the same as a hunter owning guns but being for an AWB. Just because someone is for some rights doesn't make them pro.

    Sent from the back of a black van
    We have both been sidetracked from original question about OC in Augusta Manchester area. It's been interested and I've enjoyed the debate or conversation with you. Anyhow consider, I not only support your rights but my families rights to be able to live in our community without unjust fear even if they don't carry themselves. That in no way means that I want to infringe on you or the second amendment. That's why we have laws against brandishing firearms. (That would be limit your unlimited rights). Common sense laws do have just place in society. Thank you for the interesting conversation.
    "Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought."

    - Pope John Paul II

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Orono, ME
    Posts
    467

    Re: open carry in Augusta/ Manchester area

    What you call "unjust fear", i call "irrational fear". There is no sensible reason to be afraid of a holstered firearm on someone going about there business.

    I do support your right to be free of "unjust fear" though. I don't think/feel that an unpresentable person OCing is "sensible fear".

    Sent from the back of a black van
    Last edited by SPOProds; 05-19-2013 at 06:33 AM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lyman, Maine
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    Anyhow consider, I not only support your rights but my families rights to be able to live in our community without unjust fear even if they don't carry themselves.

    There is no such thing as a right to live without fear. Fear is part of life. There are things you are going to be afraid of. There are things your family is going to be afraid of. Living without fear is not a natural or government granted right. It's a made up fairy tail. Every animal experiences fear from polar bears fear of starvation to an antilope's fear of lions. Humans are no exception. People are afraid of dogs. People are afraid of guns. People are afraid of spiders. People are afraid of public speaking, and airplanes, and honey badgers. You don't have a right to live without that fear, sorry, but you're just wrong.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester Maine
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    There is no such thing as a right to live without fear. Fear is part of life. There are things you are going to be afraid of. There are things your family is going to be afraid of. Living without fear is not a natural or government granted right. It's a made up fairy tail. Every animal experiences fear from polar bears fear of starvation to an antilope's fear of lions. Humans are no exception. People are afraid of dogs. People are afraid of guns. People are afraid of spiders. People are afraid of public speaking, and airplanes, and honey badgers. You don't have a right to live without that fear, sorry, but you're just wrong.
    How you came up with that because of my statement that I support laws not allowing brandishing a firearm to cause unjust fear in the community I'll never know? Boyscout you know me better than that we've carried together in public under MOCA. I support open carry laws but don't think our rights as gun owners should be abused to cause undue stress on others in the public. People have a right not to have to live in fear of being shot by some fool waving a gun in public. None of us have the right to abuse our rights to carry to scare or intimidate others by brandishing a weapon in public.

    Now on total different subject which I expect some negative feedback, I really question if carrying loaded AR in public should be allowed. I see reason for handgun carry for self defense but I have issues with someone walking around with loaded AR just cause they can. As a deer hunter the law stops me from crossing highway with 5 rounds in my deer rifle but as I understand the law someone can walk the streets of Portland (Maine's largest city) with 30 round clip in their rifle.
    Understand I'm not only a gun owner but a concerned American. The reason I bought my first handgun ever was because I was almost sick for week from the killings at Virginia Tech. I vowed to myself if I could ever stop such a crime from happening I would do so or die trying. As all of us my views on many subjects in life have changed as I've matured and because of my age I can feel confident in telling you both I feel your views can and will change in time whatever they are. (PS, I'm not anti AR's I own one:-)
    Last edited by jonjon_jon; 05-19-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    "Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought."

    - Pope John Paul II

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lyman, Maine
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjon_jon View Post
    How you came up with that because of my statement that I support laws not allowing brandishing a firearm to cause unjust fear in the community I'll never know? Boyscout you know me better than that we've carried together in public under MOCA. I support open carry laws but don't think our rights as gun owners should be abused to cause undue stress on others in the public. People have a right not to have to live in fear of being shot by some fool waving a gun in public. None of us have the right to abuse our rights to carry to scare or intimidate others by brandishing a weapon in public.

    Now on total different subject which I expect some negative feedback, I really question if carrying loaded AR in public should be allowed. I see reason for handgun carry for self defense but I have issues with someone walking around with loaded AR just cause they can. As a deer hunter the law stops me from crossing highway with 5 rounds in my deer rifle but as I understand the law someone can walk the streets of Portland (Maine's largest city) with 30 round clip in their rifle.
    Understand I'm not only a gun owner but a concerned American. The reason I bought my first handgun ever was because I was almost sick for week from the killings at Virginia Tech. I vowed to myself if I could ever stop such a crime from happening I would do so or die trying. As all of us my views on many subjects in life have changed as I've matured and because of my age I can feel confident in telling you both I feel your views can and will change in time whatever they are. (PS, I'm not anti AR's I own one:-)
    1. The law does not require you to unload your rifle when you cross the street. That law was abolished many years ago. You just cannot FIRE across a roadway or within so many feet of the roadway.

    2. An AR15 has a magazine, not a clip. Educate yourself on the differences. It's important. You sound ignorant otherwise.

    3. You do NOT have a right to not live in fear of being shot by someone waving a gun around. Sorry, bad things happen and criminals who are firing shots at people should be punished, but pretending that a law prevents bad things is just ignorant.

    4. Look up the definition of "brandishing" Carrying is not brandishing. Brandishing means "to wave or flourish in a threatening manner" Carrying a rifle is not brandishing a rifle. There is no threat.

    5. Your rights should not be abused to cause stress on other people. Sorry, but sometimes the exercise of your rights DOES cause stress on other people. It's not just gun rights. Many people are greatly offended by people who hold signs either pro or anti abortion. Those signs are offensive, but they are free speech and those people have an inherent right to voice their opinions. No law should be made to take away such a right, no matter how dispicable YOU deem their actions.

    6. Who are YOU to determine what is an acceptable self defense setup for another person? An AR15 rifle is certainly a FAR better self defense tool for most self defense situations. If you're presented with a mall shooting scenario and the shooter has an AR15 and he's 50 yards from you and pointed in your direction, I'd rather have an AR15 on me than a pistol. If I'm attacked by a roving gang of 10 pistol wielding teenagers who just want to kill a man for the thrill of it I'd rather have an AR15 on me than a pistol to counter such a threat. The ONLY benefit of a pistol is it's minimal size and weight. A long gun is ALWAYS a better tool when you need someone stopped quickly.

    7. If you want to stop a Virginia Tech type situation, it would be far easier with a long gun than a pistol, so why don't you use the better tool for the job?

    I pose these questions genuinely. I know that you're an intelligent and thoughtful man. Think of it from a freedom perspective, not from a controlist perspective. It is every man's personal responsibility for their own actions. The actions of another man should never be restricted when no harm has occurred.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Orono, ME
    Posts
    467

    Re: open carry in Augusta/ Manchester area

    ^ +1 very well said

    Sent from the back of a black van

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester Maine
    Posts
    216

    I think we're doomed to fail

    I hear everything you say and agree with some of it. I also believe that we're doomed to fail if we're deaf to other people concerns and fears. As you know I tried with the rest of you to get MOCA of the ground and it failed, partly cause of the name M Open Carry A. Even the gun owners ran from us. Even though I disagreed it was ended and new organization was formed under different name which seems to be gaining public support even though I don't know for sure, cause I haven't been active with it. Anyhow stand your ground and don't give a inch if that's what you really believe but when the day comes we can no longer carry openly in Maine consider by not listening to others fears and concerns we're part of the problem. It really doesn't matter who's right or wrong, what matters is what happens in the house with the dome on the roof. People feel alienated if you don't at least try to understand their fears and concerns. It doesn't mean they're right but it's important to listen and explain why gun right are important to maintaining our liberty.
    Last edited by jonjon_jon; 05-20-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    "Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought."

    - Pope John Paul II

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •