• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SD 14, Hampton Roads and Outlying Area, Firehouse Primary May 9th

mpg9999

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/04/cosgrove-has-gop-challenger-va-senate-special-election

There is a Republican Firehouse Primary coming up in Senate District 14. Voting is for only three hours on May 9th, from 5 PM to 8 PM. The two candidate are John Cosgrove and Chris Stearns.

Cosgrove was in the house and has been pretty good on gun bills, but he never returned the VCDL Candidate Survey ( http://oldsite.vcdl.org/surveys/Survey_Results_2011_House.html ).

Christopher Stearns was the VA State Coordinator for the 2012 Ron Paul Campaign. He currently serves as the 3rd District Republican Chair. I contacted him with a link to the 2011 VCDL candidate survey and he indicated he would respond 100% pro gun. I'm confident that Mr. Stearns would be a great ally of gun owners in the Senate.

Last edited:

TFred

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/04/cosgrove-has-gop-challenger-va-senate-special-election

There is a Republican Firehouse Primary coming up in Senate District 14. Voting is for only three hours on May 9th, from 5 PM to 8 PM. The two candidate are John Cosgrove and Chris Stearns.

Cosgrove was in the house and has been pretty good on gun bills, but he never returned the VCDL Candidate Survey ( http://oldsite.vcdl.org/surveys/Survey_Results_2011_House.html ).

Christopher Stearns was the VA State Coordinator for the 2012 Ron Paul Campaign. He currently serves as the 3rd District Republican Chair. I contacted him with a link to the 2011 VCDL candidate survey and he indicated he would respond 100% pro gun. I'm confident that Mr. Stearns would be a great ally of gun owners in the Senate.
This may be considered by some here as almost sacrilegious... but I'm going to say it anyway.

Please don't let the fact that a candidate has or has not returned a VCDL survey be your only consideration in deciding who to support.

As much as we may not like to acknowledge it, we live in a world that simply does not revolve around one issue. In order to be elected, candidates have to obtain the support of "half plus one", and in this day and age of voter fraud that "doesn't exist", that probably really means "half plus several hundred."

Over the years, many strong pro-gun candidates have not returned their VCDL surveys. One Delegate, that I would put up there with the best of the gun-friendly crowd, told me he doesn't answer ANY surveys, because they won't help with his supporters, and they can only provide ammunition for his opponents.

Much like debates, the guy who is running behind is going to be the one willing to return the survey. If a Lingamfelter or an Obenshain were running in a primary against someone who responded very favorably in a survey, do you really think we'd be better off supporting someone new instead of these experienced and well-known legislators, even if they chose to not return the survey? In many cases, a voting record is far more valuable than a survey. A survey is a promise. A record is a promise that has been verified.

Please do the required research, reach out and talk to the candidates personally, or attend meetings where they speak.

CRITICALLY IMPORTANT: Evaluate their chances in the general election... it does nobody any good to nominate a 100% pro-gun candidate if they have no chance to win the general election.

Always remember, we're out to win the war, not necessarily every small battle along the way.

TFred

P.S. Don't take this to mean that VCDL surveys are not good... they can be very valuable... they just aren't the one thing that should be used to pick a candidate.

mpg9999

This may be considered by some here as almost sacrilegious... but I'm going to say it anyway.

Please don't let the fact that a candidate has or has not returned a VCDL survey be your only consideration in deciding who to support.

As much as we may not like to acknowledge it, we live in a world that simply does not revolve around one issue. In order to be elected, candidates have to obtain the support of "half plus one", and in this day and age of voter fraud that "doesn't exist", that probably really means "half plus several hundred."

Over the years, many strong pro-gun candidates have not returned their VCDL surveys. One Delegate, that I would put up there with the best of the gun-friendly crowd, told me he doesn't answer ANY surveys, because they won't help with his supporters, and they can only provide ammunition for his opponents.

Much like debates, the guy who is running behind is going to be the one willing to return the survey. If a Lingamfelter or an Obenshain were running in a primary against someone who responded very favorably in a survey, do you really think we'd be better off supporting someone new instead of these experienced and well-known legislators, even if they chose to not return the survey? In many cases, a voting record is far more valuable than a survey. A survey is a promise. A record is a promise that has been verified.

Please do the required research, reach out and talk to the candidates personally, or attend meetings where they speak.

CRITICALLY IMPORTANT: Evaluate their chances in the general election... it does nobody any good to nominate a 100% pro-gun candidate if they have no chance to win the general election.

Always remember, we're out to win the war, not necessarily every small battle along the way.

TFred

P.S. Don't take this to mean that VCDL surveys are not good... they can be very valuable... they just aren't the one thing that should be used to pick a candidate.

Yeah, I definitely understand that point. There are a lot of other non gun related reasons I am going to support Chris Stearns (like the massive tax increase from the transportation bill), I just didn't want to bring them up since this is a forum about open carry. My opinion is that Chris has a great chance of winning both the primary and general election.

Some more reading: http://jhpolitics.com/2013/04/virginia-endorsement-stearns-for-state-senate-district-14/

Chris Stearns doesn’t exactly come from my axis of the Republican Party. He is an avid supporter of Ron Paul. I think Ron Paul’s foreign policy is stupid enough to get us all killed. He wanted to see the RNC rules changes wiped from the books. I supported the measures as pragmatic and necessary. He wanted to oust an effective campaigner and strategist in Mike Thomas from the State Central Committee. If I sat on that committee, Thomas would’ve had my vote.

All of that being said, when you’re making endorsements for elected office, and not party office, you look at voting records and principles, and on those issues, Stearns will be a reliable vote in the Virginia State Senate against tax-hiking big government statism.

That’s why I’m endorsing Chris Stearns in the May 9th Firehouse Primary for Virginia’s 14th Senate District.

His opponent, Delegate John Cosgrove, is exactly what’s wrong with Republicans in Richmond. He voted for Bob McDonnell’s massive transportation tax hike, whereas Stearns would’ve vehemently opposed it. With a divided State Senate that may tilt one way or another this year, we need more stalwart conservatives in the Upper Chamber. Stearns would be that conservative. Cosgrove wouldn’t.

The 14th is a “safe” Republican seat, meaning I’m going to back the most conservative candidate we can field. While I may have issues with Stearns’ libertarian sensibilities, in the realm of state government they mean very little. He will be a vote against high taxes, a vote against unnecessary regulations, a vote for sensible energy policy and a vote for limited government. The Virginia Senate desperately needs more of those votes.

Thundar

WoooooHoooooo!!!!!!!!!

A responsible adult willing to stand up to the tax and spend mentality of Toll Booth Bob and the rest of the neocon wannabees now in office.

Cosgrove was OK for gun owners, but his support was lackluster and dull. He is an economic totaltarian who voted to increase taxes.

This is a safe Senate District for Republicans. Do not believe that a moderate milktoast Republican is needed here. We need somebody that can bring the message of Liberty back to Richmond. This is a safe district from which to do it.

Hopefully VCDL has the nerve to make a proper endorsement.

RUN - CHRIS - RUN!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Old Virginia Joe

more than two choices?

My wife was at the regional homeschool meeting yesterday, and she heard a report there that said there was another conservative in this race----from a homeschool family, usually a VERY good proof of conservative commitment and hard sacrifice. A "put your money where your mouth is" kind of proof. I don't have the name handy right now, but is this true? Anyone know anything about him, and why are we only talking about these two here on OCDO?

mpg9999

My wife was at the regional homeschool meeting yesterday, and she heard a report there that said there was another conservative in this race----from a homeschool family, usually a VERY good proof of conservative commitment and hard sacrifice. A "put your money where your mouth is" kind of proof. I don't have the name handy right now, but is this true? Anyone know anything about him, and why are we only talking about these two here on OCDO?

I'm not aware of anyone else running.

Kentucky Senator Rand Paul came out in support of Chris Stearns today.

paramedic70002

This is what I think about politicians answering surveys:

When the VCDL, which is known to sling mud upon those who do NOT complete a survey, sends you a survey, you best answer it. Don't want the opposition to attack your stand? Do you really have a "stand?" Don't run if you can't take the heat.

TFred

This is what I think about politicians answering surveys:

When the VCDL, which is known to sling mud upon those who do NOT complete a survey, sends you a survey, you best answer it. Don't want the opposition to attack your stand? Do you really have a "stand?" Don't run if you can't take the heat.
Unfortunately, politics is rarely a Boolean equation. It's views like this that can cost elections, sometimes critical ones. We have to face the fact that there are some districts where the majority of the voting population will not respond positively to a 100% pro-gun VCDL survey. Would you rather a candidate answer honestly and lose the election, or not answer, win the election, and support us when the votes count?

Folks we have to keep focused on the finish line, not the lap times.

TFred

mpg9999

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/sen-rand-paul-backs-stearns-va-senate-contest

palerider116

Did you ever find out who this is? My family homeschools.

Thundar

Unfortunately, politics is rarely a Boolean equation. It's views like this that can cost elections, sometimes critical ones. We have to face the fact that there are some districts where the majority of the voting population will not respond positively to a 100% pro-gun VCDL survey. Would you rather a candidate answer honestly and lose the election, or not answer, win the election, and support us when the votes count?

TFred

Fortunately that is not the case here. This is a very solid Republican district. The winner of the fire house survey will be the next Senator from SD 14. Our choice is simple. Hard core pro gun vs. milktoast pro gun.

minarchist

I volunteered for Stearns' campaign last weekend. About fifty of us knocked on doors of registered voters throughout the area. Now that the polls are closed, I'm anxious to see if he won.

mpg9999

I volunteered for Stearns' campaign last weekend. About fifty of us knocked on doors of registered voters throughout the area. Now that the polls are closed, I'm anxious to see if he won.

Unfortunately the establishment candidate, Cosgrove, has won. Voter turnout was pretty low. I believe Stearn won all of the districts except Chesapeake, which had significantly higher turnout than the other districts. The final tally was 1361 Cosgrove to 551 Stearns.

Thanks for volunteering btw.