• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while on motorcycle

fire suppressor

I am very happy to announce that I have finally fulfilled a dream of mine I have had for about the last 5-7 years and got my motorcycle endorsement! I hope to be riding soon but this now adds another dynamic to carrying on a motor vehicle. I do not have any specific question in mind but I am asking is there anything I need to know about while carrying on a motorcycle? As far as I know the RCWs do no specify what type of vehicle yoU are driving but just to CYA I thought I would ask, thanks!

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

I am very happy to announce that I have finally fulfilled a dream of mine I have had for about the last 5-7 years and got my motorcycle endorsement! I hope to be riding soon but this now adds another dynamic to carrying on a motor vehicle. I do not have any specific question in mind but I am asking is there anything I need to know about while carrying on a motorcycle? As far as I know the RCWs do no specify what type of vehicle yoU are driving but just to CYA I thought I would ask, thanks!

I OC on the Harley all the time 4 or 5 years now non event so far.

Be extra careful for the first several months that is when everyone seems to get hurt when first starting to ride.

Batousaii

Sweet!

Congratz on the new endorsement :D I been riding most of my life and would be happy to zip around with you if ya like some company. What kind of bikes are you looking at, or do you have one already?
- As for need to knows, i would say that positive retention is an absolute must for a firearm on a bike. Drop it on the ground at 60mph and the gun will be severely scarred or destroyed. Also, don't carry it at the small of your back, or anyplace that the "object" can cause extra body damage in a crash.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

The first Motorcycle thread of the year, must be spring!

I too OC all the time on a bike. Retention is good to have. In my neck of the woods its fun to watch Canadian drivers suddenly change their driving behavior......:p

fire suppressor

Thanks for the help Batousaii I sent you a PM and thank you to everyone else. I am still new to riding and I am still very much respect the motorcycles power. I am going to need a little more riding time until I get comfortable with it but I can not wait to start riding. If anyone has any andvise or tips for me please do not be afraid to send a PM my way

Batousaii

cool, i replied your PM, if it doesnt come let me know (our PMs here can be buggy).
- I ride allot, so if ya need some pointers we should get together some time and talk bike stuffs. I've ridden everything from Yoshimura prepped Suzuki GSX-R 750 to Harley Sportster (just rebuilt mine) and even some dirt bikes. I am not "pro" but i am experienced and very street wise.

decklin

Congratulations! I highly recommend taking a rider safety course offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. They are very affordable and teach valuable technique that you otherwise would not pick up.
What kind of bikes are you looking at? Cruiser, dual-purpose, sport?

fire suppressor

Congratulations! I highly recommend taking a rider safety course offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. They are very affordable and teach valuable technique that you otherwise would not pick up.
What kind of bikes are you looking at? Cruiser, dual-purpose, sport?

Just took the Basic Rider Course this past weekend in Silverdale it is a great course if anyone is thinking about it. I passed the class and they gave me a card of completion that made getting my endorsement at the DOL easy. I am looking at getting a cruiser probably at least a 650cc. I got myself a helmet and jacket I will get a few other peices of clothing as money permits but what I am really missing now is the bike :)

Stretch

Welcome to the 2 wheel community. Ride like you're invisible to the cages. Most of the time we seem to be.

I can't say if my OC on the bike has changed any driver's opinion of me, or their position near me.

Sent by Droid

Lammo

Just took the Basic Rider Course this past weekend in Silverdale it is a great course if anyone is thinking about it. I passed the class and they gave me a card of completion that made getting my endorsement at the DOL easy. I am looking at getting a cruiser probably at least a 650cc. I got myself a helmet and jacket I will get a few other peices of clothing as money permits but what I am really missing now is the bike :)

I'm sure others on here can recommend other reliable dealers but you should check out King County Motorsports in Auburn. Lots of Harleys, some other bikes. I bought my '07 FXDB (Street Bob) with 23K miles from there and have had no issues with it. I recommended the place to one of my adversaries and he bought his '07 FLHR (Road King) from there and absolutely loves it. I have no ownership or other interest in the business - - I just bought my bike there for a great price and got great service. YMMV.

http://www.kingcountymoto.com/inventory.htm

carracer

Congrats! I oc on my mc in Idaho as no restrictions here. While you are looking for a bike, check out Triumphs! Even the Harley guys like 'em! I ride a 2004 Speedmaster parallel twin. Have Rocket 3 bars on it so my arms are chest high. They have forward controls so are very comfy to ride.

Sometimes I put on my "Duster", boots and fast draw outfit with my Ruger Vaquero. "I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride...."

sirpuma

Oh man, bummer. You have to pull the engine to get to the stud ?

Yeah, it's partially behind the frame. I tried drilling and using an easy out but it's royally stuck. So in order to properly drill it out and clean up the threads or retap I'll need clear and square access. That means pulling the engine. I'm at a point where I have it ready to come out, just need to jack the engine up a bit and get my boy to help me slide it out of the frame. Then I can work on it.

fire suppressor

I had a nice long day of motorcycle shopping today in Seattle and ended up taking home a 2006 Honda Shadow 600cc! It has a nice low center of gravity with with comfortable foot pegs and it makes for a very comfortable ride for me. I had it on the highway briefly today and scared the crap out of myself. I am having fun but it is about equal parts fun and scared so I hope I get over that soon. I never want to get over confidant on a bike but I would like to feel sure of myself and not white knuckle where where I go. Maybe this summer we could organize some kind of open carry bike run

sirpuma

I like the looks of the classic Shadows. I really wanted a late 80s early 90s Shadow in 750. But alas the few I found were out of my price range. So I settled on my Yamaha Maxim 650. And yeah, taking the safety course doesn't prepare you for opening up on a bike for the first time. First time I laid the throttle wide open on my bike I thought I was going to fly off. Bout crapped myself. That feeling doesn't really go away but the fear does turn to exhilaration in very short order.

Jeff Hayes

I had a nice long day of motorcycle shopping today in Seattle and ended up taking home a 2006 Honda Shadow 600cc! It has a nice low center of gravity with with comfortable foot pegs and it makes for a very comfortable ride for me. I had it on the highway briefly today and scared the crap out of myself. I am having fun but it is about equal parts fun and scared so I hope I get over that soon. I never want to get over confidant on a bike but I would like to feel sure of myself and not white knuckle where where I go. Maybe this summer we could organize some kind of open carry bike run

Its good to be a little scared to start with, you will not be white knuckled for long. Just do not get too over confident too soon and you will be fine. I have ridden Harleys for the last 44 years this month. Keep in mind motorcycles will hurt you real fast and at the same time they are soooooooo much fun. Ride on.