Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colonial shooting range...again

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Colonial shooting range...again

I've been mellowing on Colonial because of one of their employees.
    I've bought brass, powder and was waiting for the Dillon Presses to get in.
    I even agreed to let my wife shoot there if she liked even though I won't.

We went to Greentops, bought powder and a few other things, then went to Colonial to see if they had any Varget and see if the Dillon's were in yet.

I asked about the price of an unmarked box of primers and the fellow I talked to was over at the brass and primer section. They now have a 2 bag limit on brass. I asked about that and they are going to start loading so they need the brass.

Anyway, he thanked me for supporting them. I told him I didn't. He asked why not and I told him it was because they didn't allow OC. I might just have yanked the monkey's tail. He said "I'm ready to get it done, I'm the one that took all the risk here and we have security concerns"....at any rate, I elected to leave without buying anything, will probably have to go to church on Sunday to cover a few of the comments I made and never ever want to set foot inside that yuppy shooting range again. I don't even want to be down wind of it.

I know a few members here go there and you should be ashamed.

Tomorrow I'm going to take time out of my day and spend my gas to handle CHP issues with Grapeshot,,,WHY?, damned good question. I suppose it's because I try to work on everyone's right to carry despite how they chose to do it.
    It's a shame we can't all get on the same page.

Oh BTW..the fellow at Colonial said that internet bunch didn't know anything!

"security" ????

what about the dumb a$$ I encountered on my first ever visit (I mentioned it in the thread about Colonial last year) who was sat there showing his lady friend "this is a glock, it has no safety" [they were HIS words] while pointing the damn thing in my direction. That was the second time I've had a firearm pointed at me, the first was in an armed wages snatch twenty something years ago and I figured that time if I just put the money in the bag like they asked the sawn off side by side wasn't going to be used, the experience at Colonial scared me much more. Where was their 'security' then? It's not like they didn't know what he did, my vocal admonishment of that clown was loud enough.

However, it's their prejudicial attitude towards certain members of society that makes it unlikely I'll return, especially given recent events.

Never been, but the place sure sounds lovely..

Quote Originally Posted by WhatTimeIsIt? View Post
    Never been, but the place sure sounds lovely..
    We can't expect too much from Stanley. I like my range no yuppies and it's in the woods.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    They do seem to enjoy iritating some folks rather than trying to work with them. I've been seeing that personally for a year plus now, and have been watching the staff slowly jump ship.

But I digress.....what do I know? I'm just one of those fellas from the internet.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Have they been added to any of the "unfriendly" lists?

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Have they been added to any of the "unfriendly" lists?

TFred
    It might make for an entirely new group. The bunch from the internet.

Since I'm sure he's reading this and itching to post...I have a question. Did he make his living selling used and repossessed boats before he became a Range Nazi?

He just looks the type

I never expected much,

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    It might make for an entirely new group. The bunch from the internet.

Since I'm sure he's reading this and itching to post...I have a question. Did he make his living selling used and repossessed boats before he became a Range Nazi?

He just looks the type
    But the stories I have heard from posters here and at the weekly gatherings have convinced me I was correct to not waste my time and money there.

The individuals involved with management and the way non LEOs are treated just prove their elitist attitude and mental deficiencies.

They have nothing I need or want.

I enjoy shooting there, and know a few folks who work there and they are good people. I just cannot understand why some potential relationships are not welcomed the way that you would think that they should. There is always time to change, and I do hope that they make positive changes.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

I am with Peter on this issue. I live within walking distance of Colonial and can hear it when I am outside of my house. I rarely OC myself but as long as they discriminate against OC, they will not get my business. I would love to check them out but I will not even go there until they change their ways.

Quote Originally Posted by speed41ae View Post
    I am with Peter on this issue. I live within walking distance of Colonial and can hear it when I am outside of my house. I rarely OC myself but as long as they discriminate against OC, they will not get my business. I would love to check them out but I will not even go there until they change their ways.
    If you are in walking distance, you are always welcome to stop in to our offices to say hello. We gladly welcome all forms of carry.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

I really do wish they allowed OC there, but it's either be a member there and be able to shoot... or not shoot. The only reason other than what's been said about their reasons for banning customers from OCing that I've heard is it's an "insurance issue". I frankly think it's a load of crap as their employees OC but *shrug*.

So go and think I should be "ashamed" peter... unlike a lot of you, I don't have land to shoot on. I have to use what's available and that's Colonial.

Quote Originally Posted by Numenor View Post
    I really do wish they allowed OC there, but it's either be a member there and be able to shoot... or not shoot. The only reason other than what's been said about their reasons for banning customers from OCing that I've heard is it's an "insurance issue". I frankly think it's a load of crap as their employees OC but *shrug*.

So go and think I should be "ashamed" peter... unlike a lot of you, I don't have land to shoot on. I have to use what's available and that's Colonial.
    It's your decision and there isn't any reason to make up excuses. You're free to frequent any place you choose but there are other ranges in the area. I shoot very little on the farm and belong to a range. Trap and skeet ranges, rifle, pistol and archery range, clubhouse...and if they even thought of banning any one of our constitutional rights. I'd be out of there in a heartbeat.

But again, we all make our own decisions. You're free to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings because you like their food, support MAIG because the mayor's assistant will help with a sewer bill or join AARP because they give discounts at stores.....and even then, if you find yourself in Scousers shoes, most of us that try to keep Virginia from becoming Maryland, will still be there for support.

But, I will and do think you should be ashamed!
    Last edited by peter nap; 05-02-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    With friends like that, we don't need..........

The range is modern & pretty, was a major investment, some really good people work there, BUT the upper management is decidely anti OC and unbending in their assessment. I will not consider giving them my business.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Open carry is allowed for their employees I don't understand what the idea is.

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    Open carry is allowed for their employees I don't understand what the idea is.
    Obviously they are better trained, safer, more elite AND everyone is safer if it can't be seen.

That does make sense, doesn't it?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Obviously they are better trained, safer, more elite AND everyone is safer if it can't be seen.

That does make sense, doesn't it?
    i wonder what would happen if you walked in OC but with your CHP attached to the holster since they allow CC??

Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    i wonder what would happen if you walked in OC but with your CHP attached to the holster since they allow CC??
    You'd have to have a very small gun to hide it from common observation behind a CHP & then it wouldn't be OC any how.

Beside that..............why do I have a headache?

It's your decision and there isn't any reason to make up excuses. You're free to frequent any place you choose but there are other ranges in the area. I shoot very little on the farm and belong to a range. Trap and skeet ranges, rifle, pistol and archery range, clubhouse...and if they even thought of banning any one of our constitutional rights. I'd be out of there in a heartbeat.

But again, we all make our own decisions. You're free to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings because you like their food, support MAIG because the mayor's assistant will help with a sewer bill or join AARP because they give discounts at stores.....and even then, if you find yourself in Scousers shoes, most of us that try to keep Virginia from becoming Maryland, will still be there for support.

But, I will and do think you should be ashamed!
    And what "other ranges in the area" are you talking about? Dominion sucks, Black Creek(?) is way over near the airport, and the WMA ranges are a) closed half the year and b) don't allow pistol. Ravenna and Cavalier are both even further than the Amelia WMA and have a multi-year waiting list. If you know of another range I would be interested to know as I would LOVE to do 300yd rifle shooting and get back into Trap/Skeet.
    Last edited by Numenor; 05-02-2013 at 10:37 AM.

And what "other ranges in the area" are you talking about? Dominion sucks, Black Creek(?) is way over near the airport, and the WMA ranges are a) closed half the year and b) don't allow pistol. Ravenna and Cavalier are both even further than the Amelia WMA and have a multi-year waiting list. If you know of another range I would be interested to know as I would LOVE to do 300yd rifle shooting and get back into Trap/Skeet.
    Not picking on anybody here - finding a place to shoot can be a challange. None of those listed are really that far away. A piece of private land would of course be ideal.

That and long range rifle and trap/skeet are not available at Colonial anyway.

I haven't been down to the Ft. Lee civilian range in a while, but they did have long range rifle stations and there has been some mention of skeet.
    http://vagunforum.net/richmond/fort-...ters-t785.html

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You'd have to have a very small gun to hide it from common observation behind a CHP & then it wouldn't be OC any how.

Beside that..............why do I have a headache?
    i didn't say it would be hidden from common observation but it would maybe placate the need for a permit to carry in there while simutaneously showing how insipid the rule is.

Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    i didn't say it would be hidden from common observation but it would maybe placate the need for a permit to carry in there while simutaneously showing how insipid the rule is.
    I understand. You're suggesting that if you have a CHP that they could/should/might accept you OCing, but it doesn't change that what the don't want is OC (visible gun). You can case it, bag it, or carry it in a holster hidden, but OMG don't carry it in a legal manner that others might see it. Noooos! Don't do that on their carpet.

Black Creek and Dominion are the two big ones.
    My range is further from Richmond 100 miles South...but it's Arrowhead and yes a few members here go there rather than deal with Colonial.

No need to debate it...what I said earlier isn't going to change and you can make your own choices.

I did learn this morning that Colonial is losing employees because of the way they're treated. That's a sign of a company in trouble. Hopefully, we'll read about their bankruptcy in the future.

--snip-- their bankruptcy in the future.
    Don't tease me. I'm imagining a consortium of OCers picking it up at foreclosure auction for pennys on the dollar and forming a Co-Op

[QUOTE=ProShooter;1932139]They do seem to enjoy iritating some folks rather than trying to work with them. I've been seeing that personally for a year plus now, and have been watching the staff slowly jump ship.

QUOTE]

sometimes the rats are the first to flee the ship. with any new business this isn't suprising as you'll need to find staff that "fits"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast