• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colonial shooting range...again

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I've been mellowing on Colonial because of one of their employees.
I've bought brass, powder and was waiting for the Dillon Presses to get in.
I even agreed to let my wife shoot there if she liked even though I won't.

We went to Greentops, bought powder and a few other things, then went to Colonial to see if they had any Varget and see if the Dillon's were in yet.

I asked about the price of an unmarked box of primers and the fellow I talked to was over at the brass and primer section. They now have a 2 bag limit on brass. I asked about that and they are going to start loading so they need the brass.

Anyway, he thanked me for supporting them. I told him I didn't. He asked why not and I told him it was because they didn't allow OC. I might just have yanked the monkey's tail. He said "I'm ready to get it done, I'm the one that took all the risk here and we have security concerns"....at any rate, I elected to leave without buying anything, will probably have to go to church on Sunday to cover a few of the comments I made and never ever want to set foot inside that yuppy shooting range again. I don't even want to be down wind of it.

I know a few members here go there and you should be ashamed.

Tomorrow I'm going to take time out of my day and spend my gas to handle CHP issues with Grapeshot,,,WHY?, damned good question. I suppose it's because I try to work on everyone's right to carry despite how they chose to do it.
It's a shame we can't all get on the same page.

Oh BTW..the fellow at Colonial said that internet bunch didn't know anything!

scouser

"security" ????

what about the dumb a$$ I encountered on my first ever visit (I mentioned it in the thread about Colonial last year) who was sat there showing his lady friend "this is a glock, it has no safety" [they were HIS words] while pointing the damn thing in my direction. That was the second time I've had a firearm pointed at me, the first was in an armed wages snatch twenty something years ago and I figured that time if I just put the money in the bag like they asked the sawn off side by side wasn't going to be used, the experience at Colonial scared me much more. Where was their 'security' then? It's not like they didn't know what he did, my vocal admonishment of that clown was loud enough.

However, it's their prejudicial attitude towards certain members of society that makes it unlikely I'll return, especially given recent events.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
They do seem to enjoy iritating some folks rather than trying to work with them. I've been seeing that personally for a year plus now, and have been watching the staff slowly jump ship.

But I digress.....what do I know? I'm just one of those fellas from the internet.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Have they been added to any of the "unfriendly" lists?

TFred

It might make for an entirely new group. The bunch from the internet.:banana:

Since I'm sure he's reading this and itching to post...I have a question. Did he make his living selling used and repossessed boats before he became a Range Nazi?

He just looks the type:lol:

va_tazdad

I never expected much,

It might make for an entirely new group. The bunch from the internet.:banana:

Since I'm sure he's reading this and itching to post...I have a question. Did he make his living selling used and repossessed boats before he became a Range Nazi?

He just looks the type:lol:

But the stories I have heard from posters here and at the weekly gatherings have convinced me I was correct to not waste my time and money there.

The individuals involved with management and the way non LEOs are treated just prove their elitist attitude and mental deficiencies.

They have nothing I need or want.

ProShooter

I enjoy shooting there, and know a few folks who work there and they are good people. I just cannot understand why some potential relationships are not welcomed the way that you would think that they should. There is always time to change, and I do hope that they make positive changes.

speed41ae

I am with Peter on this issue. I live within walking distance of Colonial and can hear it when I am outside of my house. I rarely OC myself but as long as they discriminate against OC, they will not get my business. I would love to check them out but I will not even go there until they change their ways.

ProShooter

I am with Peter on this issue. I live within walking distance of Colonial and can hear it when I am outside of my house. I rarely OC myself but as long as they discriminate against OC, they will not get my business. I would love to check them out but I will not even go there until they change their ways.

If you are in walking distance, you are always welcome to stop in to our offices to say hello. We gladly welcome all forms of carry. :)

Numenor

I really do wish they allowed OC there, but it's either be a member there and be able to shoot... or not shoot. The only reason other than what's been said about their reasons for banning customers from OCing that I've heard is it's an "insurance issue". I frankly think it's a load of crap as their employees OC but *shrug*.

So go and think I should be "ashamed" peter... unlike a lot of you, I don't have land to shoot on. I have to use what's available and that's Colonial.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I really do wish they allowed OC there, but it's either be a member there and be able to shoot... or not shoot. The only reason other than what's been said about their reasons for banning customers from OCing that I've heard is it's an "insurance issue". I frankly think it's a load of crap as their employees OC but *shrug*.

So go and think I should be "ashamed" peter... unlike a lot of you, I don't have land to shoot on. I have to use what's available and that's Colonial.

It's your decision and there isn't any reason to make up excuses. You're free to frequent any place you choose but there are other ranges in the area. I shoot very little on the farm and belong to a range. Trap and skeet ranges, rifle, pistol and archery range, clubhouse...and if they even thought of banning any one of our constitutional rights. I'd be out of there in a heartbeat.

But again, we all make our own decisions. You're free to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings because you like their food, support MAIG because the mayor's assistant will help with a sewer bill or join AARP because they give discounts at stores.....and even then, if you find yourself in Scousers shoes, most of us that try to keep Virginia from becoming Maryland, will still be there for support.

But, I will and do think you should be ashamed!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
With friends like that, we don't need..........

The range is modern & pretty, was a major investment, some really good people work there, BUT the upper management is decidely anti OC and unbending in their assessment. I will not consider giving them my business.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Open carry is allowed for their employees I don't understand what the idea is.
Obviously they are better trained, safer, more elite AND everyone is safer if it can't be seen.

That does make sense, doesn't it?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i wonder what would happen if you walked in OC but with your CHP attached to the holster since they allow CC??

You'd have to have a very small gun to hide it from common observation behind a CHP & then it wouldn't be OC any how.

Beside that......:banghead:........why do I have a headache? :lol:

Numenor

It's your decision and there isn't any reason to make up excuses. You're free to frequent any place you choose but there are other ranges in the area. I shoot very little on the farm and belong to a range. Trap and skeet ranges, rifle, pistol and archery range, clubhouse...and if they even thought of banning any one of our constitutional rights. I'd be out of there in a heartbeat.

But again, we all make our own decisions. You're free to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings because you like their food, support MAIG because the mayor's assistant will help with a sewer bill or join AARP because they give discounts at stores.....and even then, if you find yourself in Scousers shoes, most of us that try to keep Virginia from becoming Maryland, will still be there for support.

But, I will and do think you should be ashamed!

And what "other ranges in the area" are you talking about? Dominion sucks, Black Creek(?) is way over near the airport, and the WMA ranges are a) closed half the year and b) don't allow pistol. Ravenna and Cavalier are both even further than the Amelia WMA and have a multi-year waiting list. If you know of another range I would be interested to know as I would LOVE to do 300yd rifle shooting and get back into Trap/Skeet.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
And what "other ranges in the area" are you talking about? Dominion sucks, Black Creek(?) is way over near the airport, and the WMA ranges are a) closed half the year and b) don't allow pistol. Ravenna and Cavalier are both even further than the Amelia WMA and have a multi-year waiting list. If you know of another range I would be interested to know as I would LOVE to do 300yd rifle shooting and get back into Trap/Skeet.

Not picking on anybody here - finding a place to shoot can be a challange. None of those listed are really that far away. A piece of private land would of course be ideal.

That and long range rifle and trap/skeet are not available at Colonial anyway.

I haven't been down to the Ft. Lee civilian range in a while, but they did have long range rifle stations and there has been some mention of skeet.
http://vagunforum.net/richmond/fort-lee-firing-range-needs-shooters-t785.html