• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colonial shooting range...again

67GT390FB

You'd have to have a very small gun to hide it from common observation behind a CHP & then it wouldn't be OC any how.

Beside that......:banghead:........why do I have a headache? :lol:

i didn't say it would be hidden from common observation but it would maybe placate the need for a permit to carry in there while simutaneously showing how insipid the rule is.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i didn't say it would be hidden from common observation but it would maybe placate the need for a permit to carry in there while simutaneously showing how insipid the rule is.

I understand. You're suggesting that if you have a CHP that they could/should/might accept you OCing, but it doesn't change that what the don't want is OC (visible gun). You can case it, bag it, or carry it in a holster hidden, but OMG don't carry it in a legal manner that others might see it. Noooos! Don't do that on their carpet.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
And what "other ranges in the area" are you talking about? Dominion sucks, Black Creek(?) is way over near the airport, and the WMA ranges are a) closed half the year and b) don't allow pistol. Ravenna and Cavalier are both even further than the Amelia WMA and have a multi-year waiting list. If you know of another range I would be interested to know as I would LOVE to do 300yd rifle shooting and get back into Trap/Skeet.

Black Creek and Dominion are the two big ones.
My range is further from Richmond 100 miles South...but it's Arrowhead and yes a few members here go there rather than deal with Colonial.

No need to debate it...what I said earlier isn't going to change and you can make your own choices.

I did learn this morning that Colonial is losing employees because of the way they're treated. That's a sign of a company in trouble. Hopefully, we'll read about their bankruptcy in the future.

67GT390FB

They do seem to enjoy iritating some folks rather than trying to work with them. I've been seeing that personally for a year plus now, and have been watching the staff slowly jump ship.

QUOTE]

sometimes the rats are the first to flee the ship. with any new business this isn't suprising as you'll need to find staff that "fits"

sidestreet

Last I heard...,

And what "other ranges in the area" are you talking about? Dominion sucks, Black Creek(?) is way over near the airport, and the WMA ranges are a) closed half the year and b) don't allow pistol. Ravenna and Cavalier are both even further than the Amelia WMA and have a multi-year waiting list. If you know of another range I would be interested to know as I would LOVE to do 300yd rifle shooting and get back into Trap/Skeet.

Rivanna doesn't have ANY waiting list..., period, multi year or otherwise, at most an hour away from the "West End" via I-64, use your own ammo, indoor range, 300 yard range you're talking about, all kinds of other ranges, skeet, trap. One of the cheapest membership fees I've ever heard of, swap meets, cookouts (just about ready to start), lots of other neat stuff, worth the travel. Reconsider? :)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
They do seem to enjoy iritating some folks rather than trying to work with them. I've been seeing that personally for a year plus now, and have been watching the staff slowly jump ship.

QUOTE]

sometimes the rats are the first to flee the ship. with any new business this isn't suprising as you'll need to find staff that "fits"

From what I've seen Joe, they have two classes of employees...very good and very bad, with no middle ground.
I can say that three fit the very good category, two I know and one I met there. Four are as dumb as a box of rocks.

Upper Administration will be the downfall of the place if there is one though. At this point it really doesn't make any difference to me. I'll happily live out the rest of my life and never get any closer than ProShooter's office.

Numenor

Rivanna doesn't have ANY waiting list..., period, multi year or otherwise, at most an hour away from the "West End" via I-64, use your own ammo, indoor range, 300 yard range you're talking about, all kinds of other ranges, skeet, trap. One of the cheapest membership fees I've ever heard of, swap meets, cookouts (just about ready to start), lots of other neat stuff, worth the travel. Reconsider? :)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

Hmmm, last info I saw said they did... buuuuuuttttt.... Heck yeah I'd be interested if the cost wasn't too high (just got my 870 from my parent's place in NY a couple weeks ago and trap has really been calling). Is there some sort of sponsorship needed to get a membership there?

scouser

Hmmm, last info I saw said they did... buuuuuuttttt.... Heck yeah I'd be interested if the cost wasn't too high (just got my 870 from my parent's place in NY a couple weeks ago and trap has really been calling). Is there some sort of sponsorship needed to get a membership there?

No.

Last time I checked you fill out an online membership application, pay a processing fee, attend 2 monthly meetings on Thursday evenings (I think they're the 2nd Thursday of the month), attend orientation on the Sunday after the 2nd Thursday, pay membership fee and you're in. Annual membership renewal is $100. Just don't go near the clubhouse if Albermarle Co PD are there, they have a habit of shooting themselves in that building.

scouser

here's the place to go to apply for Rivanna, Rivanna Application. It also lists the procedure for becoming a member more accurately and up to date than I did .. I forgot to include the 4 hours of voluntary work requirement.

sidestreet

Where can I see what you saw...,

I've never known Rivanna to have a cap on membership. I know Cavalier had one imposed on them a few years back. Rivanna holds monthly membership meetings, among other things, the NRA "First Steps" classes are backlogged thru June as I understand, but never known them to have a waiting list. As scouser said, they do have an initial meeting, where you are introduced by what you have noted on your application, then a safety orientation class, a certain number of work party hours, a background check (unless you have a valid Virginia CHP) and be a member of the NRA, then another meeting where you are "confirmed", voted on (show of hands, never seen anyone get turned down), pay your dues, pick up your electronic key fob, I think that's about it, and then You'ze be a memba'. Don't remember needing a sponsor, but again, I think Cavalier does. Consider becoming an NRA instructor, we could use the help.

Not saying that it didn't happen (waiting list), but I've never known it to, and usually we invite the folks taking the "First Steps" classes to join the club if they're not already a member, and add that the range is generally underused. Anyway, I'll ask around next time I'm up there, see what that's all about.

Scouser is right!!! The last two folks to shoot themselves at the range were LEO's, one was an instructor!!! :0

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

Numenor

here's the place to go to apply for Rivanna, Rivanna Application. It also lists the procedure for becoming a member more accurately and up to date than I did .. I forgot to include the 4 hours of voluntary work requirement.

LOL... oh well, apparently I live 67 miles from the club... 8 miles too close to qualify for the "Non-resident" price.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran

In order to join and remain an associate or member, you must:

Be a member of the National Rifle Association. * SPECIAL DEAL – Join or renew the NRA through this link, lets you save $10 off the normal, annual NRA membership dues, AND club receives money back. Please help your club while you save money.

They lost me right there...

Roscoe

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
They lost me right there...

Roscoe

If you are referring to the required NRA membership, other ranges like Black Creek have a similar condition, as they get special rate insurance if all range users/members are also NRA members.

JesterP99

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

Last time I checked, the 300yd range at rivanna was closed - indefinitely. I could be wrong but that's what thought. The tactical range at rivanna is nice, especially for these summer months . For what it's worth, I think if a day of shooting is what you're after and you're already a member of the nra, RRPC is a good way to go. They are great if you like to shoot skeet. Did that for the first time there and had an instructor teach me - great time.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

sidestreet

Thanks, I'll check on that too...,

Last time I checked, the 300yd range at rivanna was closed - indefinitely. I could be wrong but that's what thought. The tactical range at rivanna is nice, especially for these summer months . For what it's worth, I think if a day of shooting is what you're after and you're already a member of the nra, RRPC is a good way to go. They are great if you like to shoot skeet. Did that for the first time there and had an instructor teach me - great time.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

it does get a little soggy down on the lower ranges this time of year! Glad to hear you had a great time, we usually do too. :)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

The Wolfhound

2 things about Rivanna...

There is a cap on "Voting" members. It is set at about 120 and requires a couple of years "associate" membership then sponsorship from the board. Unless you are planning on helping to run the place, it should not be an issue. Associate memberships are a true bargain and are not capped. The folks up there are great. The 300 yard range is under repair and "should" reopen soon. I had the occaision to be there when the repair was discussed at the board meeting.

sidestreet

Thanks Wolfhound...,

There is a cap on "Voting" members. It is set at about 120 and requires a couple of years "associate" membership then sponsorship from the board. Unless you are planning on helping to run the place, it should not be an issue. Associate memberships are a true bargain and are not capped. The folks up there are great. The 300 yard range is under repair and "should" reopen soon. I had the occaision to be there when the repair was discussed at the board meeting.

you may have just cleared up both questions with your timely post. Couldn't agree with you more. The folks up there are great! Numenor, I hear you on the "Non-resident price", I live 74.5 miles away, but I wouldn't short those folks for the world. I GLADLY, THANKFULLY, JOYFULLY pay the full price, as it would take me about an hour to tell you how wonderfully I have been treated there, and not only me, my entire family.

Thanks again Wolfhound, I think you "Capped" both subjects quite nicely. :)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13