• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is it still OC if using a IWB holster?

sgt611

I'm in NC and am trying to determine if I can use a IWB holster for OC.
It's a Walther P99 full size so it will be sticking out over the belt and outside of the shirt.
Maybe even an extra mag pouch as well.
Also would it matter where it was positioned on my belt? Like behind my back?
Thanks.

WalkingWolf

I'm in NC and am trying to determine if I can use a IWB holster for OC.
It's a Walther P99 full size so it will be sticking out over the belt and outside of the shirt.
Maybe even an extra mag pouch as well.
Also would it matter where it was positioned on my belt? Like behind my back?
Thanks.

It is OC in my opinion, but no matter what the law actually is, there is always a LEO that thinks his rules are what matters.

RayBurton72

I OC with a IWB on a fairly regular basis. Just be careful your shirt doesn't blouse over the grip and conceal it.

IWB Im and of itself does not makes it concealed though.

gary737

I thought I read a past post where an officer had stated that if a firearm is inside a holster, he considered that CC. What was that about,"his rules".

I use a IWB for CC (yes I know this is a OC board) as it DOESN'T have any retention features built into the holster. I personally would not OC with a holster that doesn't have any type retention feature but obviously, do as you wish.

Last edited:

chiefjason

An a personal note, if I'm going to CC I just CC. If I'm going to OC, I OC. And I prefer not to have something confusing the difference.

If you have a CC permit, you'll be good to go no matter what LEO thinks. If you don't, it may get a bit hairy depending on the LEO. I try not to leave important details to an officers discretion.

carolina guy

I thought I read a past post where an officer had stated that if a firearm is inside a holster, he considered that CC. What was that about,"his rules".

I use a IWB for CC (yes I know this is a OC board) as it DOESN'T have any retention features built into the holster. I personally would not OC with a holster that doesn't have any type retention feature but obviously, do as you wish.

Well...if he can clearly see the pistol and it is holstered, he might be offering to buy your next house if he wants to enforce "his rules", IMO.