• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Toledo gun buy back

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
They can't buy back what they didn't sell. The term gun buy-back is an anti-gunner term. If we can avoid using the anti-gunners' terminology, we avoid yielding to them the initiative of defining the terms of the argument.

Lets call it a consensual gun surrender. Or, a taxpayer fraud scheme--making taxpayers think they're safer because their money is being spent to pay for guns surrendered by people who wouldn't use them in a crime anyway in order to get guns off the streets that were never on the streets in the first place. Oh, and its prolly unsconstitutional. Where in the Ohio consitution or municipal charters is a locality authorized to spend taxpayer money buying guns from citizens?

Last edited:

eye95

Not supporting these bits of idiocy, but playing devil's advocate: If they have the authority to buy guns (and clearly they do; they buy them all the time), the question is properly, "Under what authority would they be prohibited from buying guns from individuals instead of corporations?"

Anyone planning on being in Toledo that day who, looking for a bargain, will slightly outbid the city for some of these guns?

It's almost like saving some poor animal from euthanasia at the shelter. Anyone want to adopt this poor helpless gun before it is too late?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What..!!..? :confused:

FireStar M40

Prolly is short for probably.

Government can only do what is authorized. It can't just make it up as it goes along. I'll bet there is no state constitutional authority to spend taxpayer money to buy guns from citizens.

If it weren't for the opportunity to stand on the sidelines and buy good guns cheap, I'll bet a few court injunctions might put a stop to this silliness. I'm not sure how standing would work. I think you gotta suffer an injury before you can apply for an injunction, but I'm not sure. It would be nice to see it tried, though.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
how much will they take for suspected pipe bombs (or pressure cookers lol) ... I have called several other buy back PDs and at first they say that they cannot buy pipe bombs but then many change their mind ....

We-the-People

Definitely needs to be well attended by law abiding citizens if private transfers are legal in Ohio which, from Eye's response, I would guess they are. I scored 4 pistols for under 400 bucks including a NICE Colt 38 special "Official Police" model from 1964 when I went to the Portland Oregon gun turn in scheme. They were offering $75 gift certs. I was offering CASH and it was awesome to see the people stopping in the entrance to find out what the cash was for, then parking and walking over (turn in was on private property) to sell their firearms to the capitalists circling the parking lot.

Even got good press.

Anyone nearby should definitely try to "attend". I drove 4.5 hours to be there.

eye95

Toledo is a bit far for me to travel, but I'd love to hear from folks who will have had a similar experience to WtP's.

JediSkipdogg

Prolly is short for probably.

Government can only do what is authorized. It can't just make it up as it goes along. I'll bet there is no state constitutional authority to spend taxpayer money to buy guns from citizens.

Not sure they need constitutional authority and in no cases have I actually ever seen government money spent at these events. Generally it's private donations that fund them. I believe I may have seen one or two (not sure if Ohio or not) that have stated it was drug seizure money used.

Even if they did use taxpayer dollars, where's the authority for them to buy police cars? The same authority can be used for this "gun purchasing program."

How is the 'state' excused from the BATFags' FFL and Firearms Transaction Record requirements?

Same way they are when they take a gun in off the streets from criminals. I don't see an FFL on a traffic stop when they arrest a gang banger with a Hi-Point. Now, if they wanted to sell them themselves, that's an entirely different ballgame and not sure how that would work.

skeith5

Toledo is a bit far for me to travel, but I'd love to hear from folks who will have had a similar experience to WtP's.

I bought a m1903 in gorgeous shape, 170 rounds of 30.06 and a wwII ammo pouch for $50 at the last Seattle gun buyback. Also picked up an Ithaca .22 lever action, and 2 Mossberg .22's for $50 a piece. Seattle was offering $100 Amazon gift cards.

joanie

Lets call it a consensual gun surrender. Or, a taxpayer fraud scheme--making taxpayers think they're safer because their money is being spent to pay for guns surrendered by people who wouldn't use them in a crime anyway in order to get guns off the streets that were never on the streets in the first place.

Agreed, It's a scam. I'm sure many of these guns were passed down through a death in the family to someone who does not know what they are worth. They might know what the gun was bought for back in the 1960s or 70s, but in today's market would be worth far more. They use a guilt trip that seems to work on older people, of the possibility of a robber breaking into their home, taking the gun or guns, and using it or them in violent crimes. If thats a concern, then gun safes, or gun locks would be more advisable. To these before mentioned older people, it's more about seeing the gun destroyed than getting any compinsation for it.

If such an event takes place in central Ohio, I hope I find out about it so I can go and film. Maybe upload the video to YT and post a link here.

Jordysoso

Does anyone know for sure if this has happened yet? I'm always looking to add to the collection lol

We-the-People

June 8th 10a- 4pm .. Add TPD Facebook page has it listed.. 50.00 cash

As I said before, anyone that can attend should. We just had one in Oregon this month and I drove 4.5 hours (one way) to attend. I scored some GREAT DEALS.

US Model of 1917, 30-06 Enfield manufactured in Nov 1918 (95 years old) and purchased from the widow of the veteran who carried it home from WWII. Got it for $80.

Remington Model 600 in 308 caliber, manufactured in 1967. Got it for $75.

A Wilkinson Arms "Linda" 9mm pistol (think MAC 10 that looks a little like a sten gun). Got it for $175

Videos of them being fired after getting them home and having all the serial numbers run for stolens:

Model of 1917, 30-06 Enfield: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YNU7ldhovY
Wilkinson Arms “Linda”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11w4nahCnEE
Remington Model 600 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vSiVzcidhY