Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youngstown Open Carry event on May 5th

Youngstown Open Carry event on May 5th

Is anyone goin to attend? I will be there. If time permits I would also like to take a short drive to Poland, Ohio. They have a Park there that is posted. I've spoke to the Chief and he refuses to take it down.

Banned
    I will be there. It is the first day of my vacation. Woo Hoo!

I will be there. Any one know of any good parks that I may find some migratory birds to photograph? This will be smack dab in the middle of Warbler season and I would hate to wast a day. I would also be up for a mushroom hunt. City park open carry

It shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by zack991; 04-30-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Walk

Look forward to seeing everyone there. This will hopefully be a good turnout. I will bring lots of flyers.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Troy bilt View Post
    I will be there. Any one know of any good parks that I may find some migratory birds to photograph? This will be smack dab in the middle of Warbler season and I would hate to wast a day. I would also be up for a mushroom hunt. City park open carry
    Mill Creek Park and Poland Woods would be great for both!

Banned

IMO, it is entirely proper to criticize what one posts--as I am heartily criticizing your insulting post. However, posts that insult the person who posted are despicable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

I am taking 1 passenger and have room for 4 more (minivan).

Anyone need a ride? If so, PM me.

I'll be leaving from Galloway (west of Columbus) by 7:30am so you only need to get that far.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    I am taking 1 passenger and have room for 4 more (minivan).

Anyone need a ride? If so, PM me.

I'll be leaving from Galloway (west of Columbus) by 7:30am so you only need to get that far.
    I,ll be in Sandusky. You can pick me up at 8

Quote Originally Posted by mcametal View Post
    Is anyone goin to attend? I will be there. If time permits I would also like to take a short drive to Poland, Ohio. They have a Park there that is posted. I've spoke to the Chief and he refuses to take it down.
    Do you have a link to the Poland, OH ordinances? If they are online, I haven't found them yet.

Is Poland a village, a township or both? In any case, someone will need to attend a council or trustee meeting and point out that the signs in the park are illegal under R.C. 9.68, and that the signs expose them to lawsuits.
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

I am glad I live close by. See everyone tomorrow.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Banned

Photos from the event:

<o>

I feel bad that I did not attend this event. I am laid off right now and had a tuff time spending the $40 in fuel. I also had an opportunity to make some cash today. Not a big fan of the situation but that is life.

Looks like a good turn out. Did everything go well?

Re: Youngstown Open Carry event on May 5th

I was in Youngstown all weekend but I was on base, so naturally I was unable to attend.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Photos from the event:

<o>
    and, there's Chuck, hiding... ;-)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Troy bilt View Post
    I feel bad that I did not attend this event. I am laid off right now and had a tuff time spending the $40 in fuel. I also had an opportunity to make some cash today. Not a big fan of the situation but that is life.

Looks like a good turn out. Did everything go well?
    Next time, let us know. We could have given you a ride. I could have shot up to Troy before hitting Columbus. Dave, his son, Chuck, Joanie, and I carpooled to Youngstown. We could have taken one more.

This is a common effort. We will help each other. Ask.

<o>

Very nice showing!!

Hopefully the meet & greet (and sharing contact info) portion went well too!

Thanks to everyone who came out! We had a great event. We had 36 people walk with us from all corners of Ohio. We had American flags, NRA flags, people from all corners of Ohio, kids, military, law enforcement, and everything in between! Walked for over an hour and then ate at Golden Coral in Boardman. Had ZERO problems and the police were very accommodating. We even had one officer stop to make sure no one was giving us a hard time. Thanks again to everyone involved for a GREAT time. We will be meeting in two weeks and we will set a date for our Cleveland walk then.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” - Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    We hope to see some of you Nor'easters down here when we schedule an event!

BTW, our youngest participant did not even draw a batted eyelash from an officer at the Golden Corral (his presence had nothing to do with us) who observed the youth in flagrante packingo.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOOpenCarry View Post
    ...We even had one officer stop to make sure no one was giving us a hard time...
    Great! Do you have training documentation from the YPD that makes it clear that an individual doing what all of you did will be treated in a similar fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by joanie View Post
    ...Documentation from YPD, or any police department wouldn't hold much weight with me, we have the second amendment, and the 4th as well in the bill of rights. Theres the documentation...
    Hmmm. Not to rain on your parade, but the "documentation" you feel is sufficient didn't work too well for Y'town's Michael Porschien: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...fully-arrested

I wish it did, but until then I'd rather Y'town have something like this: http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/...F0/showMeta/0/ (item #3)

If there is no training or directive material counseling LEOs otherwise, they're gonna do what they feel is acceptable - and that may or may not work in your favor.

...Also she still is sticking to what she said on the brandishing law...
    Since Ohio has no such "brandishing" law, that'll be real interesting.

To address BB62's point about documentation, even the document from the Cincinnati police chief WILL NOT prevent an open carrier from being harassed by any individual officer.

The next time I am in Youngstown, apparently alone, at night and open carrying, I may wander around the downtown area and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanie
    There are those who say, and will say that we do this because we want to be arrested, (my sister last night) or because we want the attention...

... she still is sticking to what she said on the brandishing law. I asked for her to print up a copy so I could share it will those here, who I'm sure will shoot (forgive the pun) holes in it. She will no doubt print up something for me, but I's be willing to bet it's not valid.
    As mentioned before, there is no "brandishing" law in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanie
    I informed my sister that I will not be going to her daughter's baby shower in a nearby park, unless she didn't mind my OCing. Her reasoning is she paid alot of money to reserve the park, and didn't want us all to be thrown out. I told her to tell my niece that I'm sorry I can't make it and I hope everyone has fun.
    Did she reserve a shelter at the park or the entire park? Just a shelter, I would hope.

Which park and when?

I may have to organize an open carry picnic...that day...at that time.

Time for the great pumpkin to make an appearance!

Recoil.

Re: Youngstown Open Carry event on May 5th

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes

I may have to organize an open carry picnic...that day...at that time.

Time for the great pumpkin to make an appearance!

I would definitely join you for that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    To address BB62's point about documentation, even the document from the Cincinnati police chief WILL NOT prevent an open carrier from being harassed by any individual officer...
    NO, that wasn't my point.

My point was that IF you have something favorable to your unmolested peaceful open carrying of your firearm, you at least have a standard to hold an officer to when you complain and ask that the hierarchy ensure that their officers actually follow their training.

If you have nothing to hold them to, well then, you have nothing to hold them to - and then the fun (for them) begins - detainment, threats of DC or IP charges, etc. etc. Your recourse is much more difficult and/or expensive without having a established departmental standard.

No piece of paper is EVER going to stop someone from doing something - but it may be very helpful in creating consequences for the offender.
    Last edited by BB62; 05-06-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling

...BB62...I suggest you call the Youngstown police and request such a written statment...
    I have no need to, and you clearly feel it's unnecessary.

Good luck with your approach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast