• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Youngstown Open Carry event on May 5th

NEOOpenCarry

Thanks to everyone who came out! We had a great event. We had 36 people walk with us from all corners of Ohio. We had American flags, NRA flags, people from all corners of Ohio, kids, military, law enforcement, and everything in between! Walked for over an hour and then ate at Golden Coral in Boardman. Had ZERO problems and the police were very accommodating. We even had one officer stop to make sure no one was giving us a hard time. Thanks again to everyone involved for a GREAT time. We will be meeting in two weeks and we will set a date for our Cleveland walk then.

eye95

We hope to see some of you Nor'easters down here when we schedule an event!

BTW, our youngest participant did not even draw a batted eyelash from an officer at the Golden Corral (his presence had nothing to do with us) who observed the youth in flagrante packingo.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...Documentation from YPD, or any police department wouldn't hold much weight with me, we have the second amendment, and the 4th as well in the bill of rights. Theres the documentation...

Hmmm. Not to rain on your parade, but the "documentation" you feel is sufficient didn't work too well for Y'town's Michael Porschien: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?107007-Unlawfully-arrested

I wish it did, but until then I'd rather Y'town have something like this: http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/linkservid/18BFD387-B6DA-077C-9CA3C47BC23AB4F0/showMeta/0/ (item #3)

If there is no training or directive material counseling LEOs otherwise, they're gonna do what they feel is acceptable - and that may or may not work in your favor.

...Also she still is sticking to what she said on the brandishing law...
Since Ohio has no such "brandishing" law, that'll be real interesting.

MyWifeSaidYes

To address BB62's point about documentation, even the document from the Cincinnati police chief WILL NOT prevent an open carrier from being harassed by any individual officer.

The next time I am in Youngstown, apparently alone, at night and open carrying, I may wander around the downtown area and see what happens.

Joanie said:
There are those who say, and will say that we do this because we want to be arrested, (my sister last night) or because we want the attention...

... she still is sticking to what she said on the brandishing law. I asked for her to print up a copy so I could share it will those here, who I'm sure will shoot (forgive the pun) holes in it. She will no doubt print up something for me, but I's be willing to bet it's not valid.

As mentioned before, there is no "brandishing" law in Ohio.

Joanie said:
I informed my sister that I will not be going to her daughter's baby shower in a nearby park, unless she didn't mind my OCing. Her reasoning is she paid alot of money to reserve the park, and didn't want us all to be thrown out. I told her to tell my niece that I'm sorry I can't make it and I hope everyone has fun.

Did she reserve a shelter at the park or the entire park? Just a shelter, I would hope.

Which park and when?

I may have to organize an open carry picnic...that day...at that time.

Time for the great pumpkin to make an appearance!

:)

Hareuhal

MyWifeSaidYes said:
I may have to organize an open carry picnic...that day...at that time.

Time for the great pumpkin to make an appearance!

:)

I would definitely join you for that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
To address BB62's point about documentation, even the document from the Cincinnati police chief WILL NOT prevent an open carrier from being harassed by any individual officer...
NO, that wasn't my point.

My point was that IF you have something favorable to your unmolested peaceful open carrying of your firearm, you at least have a standard to hold an officer to when you complain and ask that the hierarchy ensure that their officers actually follow their training.

If you have nothing to hold them to, well then, you have nothing to hold them to - and then the fun (for them) begins - detainment, threats of DC or IP charges, etc. etc. Your recourse is much more difficult and/or expensive without having a established departmental standard.

No piece of paper is EVER going to stop someone from doing something - but it may be very helpful in creating consequences for the offender.

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

I have no need to, and you clearly feel it's unnecessary.

Good luck with your approach.

Don't worry, BB62. We're just getting started with Youngstown.

A few of us spoke with a lady sitting at a sidewalk café (smoker's table, more likely) about our walk. She was quite interested in getting her first firearm and maybe even getting her CHL.

She was totally unaware as to the legality of open carry. No big surprise as this is quite common.

While we were talking, she mentioned that she had fired a gun at a range before, just not "legally".

When I asked what she meant, she said "It was my friend's gun, not mine."

:eek: :banghead:

We've got a LOT of public education to do, in addition to the police education.

NEOOpenCarry

While we were talking, she mentioned that she had fired a gun at a range before, just not "legally".

When I asked what she meant, she said "It was my friend's gun, not mine."

:eek: :banghead:

We've got a LOT of public education to do, in addition to the police education.

We did however give her a flyer with our website on it, so hopefully she reads up. I will probably be doing some OCing alone in Ytown this summer. There is a pawn shop I love up there that always has affordable guns in good shape. Will probably be picking some more up. I will happily walk anytime I am there, and I would welcome anyone who wants to join.

BriKuz

The poor women eating outside were also confused that my wife would carry on her right hip with our daughter on the left hip. I think they were so brainwashed by society that they didn't realize that carrying a sidearm for self-defense doesn't go away when you're pregnant and carrying a child in your arms... in fact, she has much MORE to defend now! And never mind the fact that there were dozens of other armed people around. The fact remains (which my wife is fully cognizant of) that each person is ultimately responsible for their OWN defense!