• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

POLL: Would you support or oppose 'universal background checks?'

Would you support or oppose 'universal background checks?'

• YES

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • YES but only with certain conditions/exemptions

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • NO

Votes: 49 81.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sudden valley gunner

No (meaning I oppose). And it will always be no in handing more power to government. Every time you ask for a law you are asking for more violence by the government.

Last edited:

amlevin

Make NICS available to all

Why not just open NICS up to eveyone who wants to sell a firearm so they can get a "YES" or "NO" on their prospective buyer.

How many here won't sell without a "bill of sale", seeing a D/L and/or CPL? I can't see anyone here actually wanting to provide a firearm to a prohibited person but the system is pretty much set up so only commercial sellers have any means to check one's current status.

As for me, mandatory checks will translate to "registration" either from the beginning, or very shortly thereafter.

fire suppressor

the wording of the question could be considered a little confusing but I will never support any law that would impose any kind of firearm restrictions of any kind. Back ground check, magazine capacity, gun free zones, I do not care what you call it I will not support it as it is in a direct violation on my 2nd commandment rights

ak56

Campaign Veteran
the wording of the question could be considered a little confusing but I will never
support any law that would impose any kind of firearm restrictions of any kind. Back ground check, magazine capacity, gun free zones, I do not care what you call it I will not support it as it is in a direct violation on my 2nd commandment rights

What connection do background checks have with the 2nd commandment?

You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

:)

Difdi

Do you need a background check to learn to read? A psych evaluation to determine the validity of your religion? An IQ test to express a political opinion? A license to qualify for a jury trial?

Then why should we want such things for our other unalienable rights?

Freedom1Man

Do you need a background check to learn to read? A psych evaluation to determine the validity of your religion? An IQ test to express a political opinion? A license to qualify for a jury trial?

Then why should we want such things for our other unalienable rights?

An intelligence test to be on a jury?

FTG-05

NO.

No more negotiating.
No more compromises.
No more gun control.

NO.

sirpuma

I neither support nor oppose UBC. At no point would a UBC be effective. People wouldn't abide by it anyway so there's no way it could be enforced. Personally I don't support most of the gun laws we currently have on the books. I don't believe that possession of a firearm in and of itself should make someone a criminal. A persons actions is what makes them criminals. I also don't believe in our prison system. I say properly punish people for their evil deeds and be done with it. There's no reason we as tax payers should be paying for the housing, clothing, feeding and all the toys for the incarcerated.

Lammo

What's the difference between a duck?

Can't answer as presented. Given choice of Support or Oppose my answer is OPPOSE for all of the reasons stated above and a few that nobody has even thought of.

Damiansar-15

Agreed

Why not just open NICS up to eveyone who wants to sell a firearm so they can get a "YES" or "NO" on their prospective buyer.

How many here won't sell without a "bill of sale", seeing a D/L and/or CPL? I can't see anyone here actually wanting to provide a firearm to a prohibited person but the system is pretty much set up so only commercial sellers have any means to check one's current status.

As for me, mandatory checks will translate to "registration" either from the beginning, or very shortly thereafter.

I think if politicans were truly serious about background checks, they would open up the system to private checks, e.g. anyone can go online or call NICS phone number to run a Driver's License or State provided ID. This way, citizens conducting private sales would not be burdened with additional expenses. 1) they need to fix the current system before implementing another junk process 2) Work with pro-rights organizations to develop a solution for private sales/gifts to friends/relatives.

There are a lot of negotiating elements that could be used to do the right thing on background checks, e.g. All States agree to acknowledge State issued licenses, BATFE policies on NFA items/taxes, etc... There are a lot of BS policies/laws in place Federally that could be removed in exchange for universal background checks using a public access NICS system that does not create registration records...

LarryM

Well lessee: In WA we already have BG checks - probably some of the most comprehensive in the nation. For handgun purchases, we have Local PD, WSP, NICS, DOL pistol registry, mental health and except for the local check for handgun purchase w/o CPL, all are fingerprint based...

(oh, and whoever doesn't believe NICS deletes inquiries after 24 hours, I have a rather large bridge I can sell ya...)

Seems pretty "universal" to me...

Last edited: