• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good on LMPD

WhistlingJack

Hello all, been away from the forums for awhile, haven't had enough free time to post.

Whenever someone does something bad, especially LEO's, we speak up. I think it is also important to speak up when they do good.

On Valentine's Day I was involved in a multi-car collision on Poplar Level Road, without going into too much detail the driver of a truck lost control of his vehicle and plowed into a car turning through the intersection (Bishop Lane I think) which sent both vehicles plowing into the cars in the turning lane. I was fortunate in that being the last car in the turning lane, I was able to throw it in reverse upon seeing them approach and largely avoid the accident. (Though my hood did catch a ladder knocked free from the truck in front of me.)

Multiple police, firefighters, and EMT's responded. Every officer on-scene noticed the Springfield XD on my hip, not one said anything to me about it, not one asked me to put it away, or tried to make an issue of me having it on my person. Talked directly to two officers to give them my account of the incident, both laid eyes on the firearm but said nothing about it. Given my first encounter with a LEO while OCing was less than positive, I was extremely pleased with their attitudes and actions in this instance. Just figured I would share the positive experience.

Good for LMPD.

Last edited:

self preservation

Hello all, been away from the forums for awhile, haven't had enough free time to post.

Whenever someone does something bad, especially LEO's, we speak up. I think it is also important to speak up when they do good.
On Valentine's Day I was involved in a multi-car collision on Poplar Level Road, without going into too much detail the driver of a truck lost control of his vehicle and plowed into a car turning through the intersection (Bishop Lane I think) which sent both vehicles plowing into the cars in the turning lane. I was fortunate in that being the last car in the turning lane, I was able to throw it in reverse upon seeing them approach and largely avoid the accident. (Though my hood did catch a ladder knocked free from the truck in front of me.)

Multiple police, firefighters, and EMT's responded. Every officer on-scene noticed the Springfield XD on my hip, not one said anything to me about it, not one asked me to put it away, or tried to make an issue of me having it on my person. Talked directly to two officers to give them my account of the incident, both laid eyes on the firearm but said nothing about it. Given my first encounter with a LEO while OCing was less than positive, I was extremely pleased with their attitudes and actions in this instance. Just figured I would share the positive experience.

Good for LMPD.

I agree. We should share the good, the bad and the ugly. Glad this incident went well for you. (other than your smashed up hood)

WhistlingJack

I'd be one of the first to pile on LMPD for mistreating anyone, so I guess its only fair to give a little praise when it is deserved. I won't give too much, because it was just doing their job correctly and that's what they are paid to do. Anyway, kudos to LMPD for a job well done.

Oh I'm not saying we should fall on our knees and sing their praises, but its kind of the whole deal about how there is never anything positive in the news. And sadly there are enough cops not doing their job correctly, it is good to recognize when they are, and it helps people thinking of coming to Louisville to know what kind of climate they are going into.

WhistlingJack

Yeah, they all should be given nobel prizes .... the best interaction with police is no interaction at all...

The sarcasm is strong with this one. Have some objection to pointing out when someone does a good job versus only harping on when they do a bad one? Zero police interaction is not always an option, say for example when they respond to a major traffic incident. With all the people being meaninglessly harassed by ignorant and overzealous LEO's, I think it is good to share the information when there are groups of them that are not behaving negatively.

I think it is just as important to know what places cops won't be all over you for OCing as it is to know where they will be eager to give you a prostate exam if you do.

Mantioch

Thanks for the report. I completely agree we should hear about the good stories. It helps new OCers like me and others that may be thinking about it feel more confident about exercising our rights. We all know it is our right, but a lot of folks won't do it for fear of the potential hassle.