• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need a volunteer sign language translator for a Utah permit class.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
We have a student that would like to attend our Utah permit class, but they are deaf and mute. Do we have anyone among our group here that can do sign language and would be willing to volunteer to translate for this student? If the volunteer wishes, we would be happy to let them take the class as well to obtain their Utah permit in exchange for this service. Please reply here or contact our office at 804-282-0214 if you think that you can help.

Thanks,
Jim Reynolds

scouser

Jim,

My wife has a friend who knows someone that might be interested. Passed your number on to them to contact you, all I know is that their name is Donna

TFred

Do ranges require deaf people to wear hearing protection?
I don't know the answer, but it would sure seem to me that the answer would be yes.

Just because a person cannot hear does not make them immune from further physical damage to the parts of the ear that can be caused by loud noises such as gunfire.

No matter what particular reason caused someone's deafness, I wouldn't think a ruptured eardrum would be something you'd want to do for fun.

Interesting question, I would like to know the official answer.

ETA: When you think about it, it's really ear protection, more than hearing protection. :)

TFred

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do ranges require deaf people to wear hearing protection?

Pressure wave protection protects more than just the eardrum. There are other structures in the ear related to hearing, ass well as those related to sense of balance* that can be damaged by sudden strong pressure waves and the frequencies at which they occur. Gunshots are not low bass, but upper register mezzo-soprano. Ask folks who play(ed) in a band or who work(ed) with audio equipment about that, but be sure to speak loudly and watch out that they do not start to fall over as they lean closer trying to make out what you are saying.

stay safe.

* Sorry if that ruins anybody's impression that rock players are always drunk/stones/high. They may be stumbling around because of inner ear damage.

half_life1052

Pressure wave protection protects more than just the eardrum. There are other structures in the ear related to hearing, ass well as those related to sense of balance* that can be damaged by sudden strong pressure waves and the frequencies at which they occur. Gunshots are not low bass, but upper register mezzo-soprano. Ask folks who play(ed) in a band or who work(ed) with audio equipment about that, but be sure to speak loudly and watch out that they do not start to fall over as they lean closer trying to make out what you are saying.

stay safe.

* Sorry if that ruins anybody's impression that rock players are always drunk/stones/high. They may be stumbling around because of inner ear damage.

I can attest that an impaired vestibular reflex really sucks. It is no fun when you are standing perfectly still and a gremlin sneaks up and spins the world out from beneath your feet. Your eyes and your ears are wired together with your balance so damage in this area can cause so many problems that you wouldn't think of unless you developed the problem.

Things like:
difficulty reading
difficulty driving
confusion and distraction with no apparent cause
the fluorescent lights in the supermarket send you up the wall and make you anxious
suddenly losing your balance with no warning

and more

the body may or may not adjust to the damage.

When it comes on without a known cause it is called Ménière's disease.