• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry suggestion

Zerolink2004

Hello all,
I was wondering. Since the state police is issuing training for open carry laws for their officers. I was thinking that since Starbucks nationwide supports the second amendment, I was thinking that we have a open carry event or get together in a local Starbucks. It's like when you pass a McDonald's and you see there's a car show in the parking lot except now it's guns at a Starbucks. Mostly it would be just a place to hang out and talk to other OC'ers. But more importantly it can ease exposure into the non gun society and educate. If they do try to call the cops it would look like they are doing the breach of peace and not the gun owners since there more of us. Especially since we can plan this with the Starbucks manager.

Rich B

Starbucks does NOT support the Second amendment or open carry. We really have to stop this belief. Starbucks is neutral and defers to the laws of the region. That is not the same thing.

Starbucks has made it clear that they do not wish their stores to be used as political rally points and that they will reconsider if people do so.

If you want to open carry, then go ahead and do so during your daily business. Don't harm our relationship with a neutral company to make a political point.

cteaglesfan

Hello all,
I was wondering. Since the state police is issuing training for open carry laws for their officers. I was thinking that since Starbucks nationwide supports the second amendment, I was thinking that we have a open carry event or get together in a local Starbucks. It's like when you pass a McDonald's and you see there's a car show in the parking lot except now it's guns at a Starbucks. Mostly it would be just a place to hang out and talk to other OC'ers. But more importantly it can ease exposure into the non gun society and educate. If they do try to call the cops it would look like they are doing the breach of peace and not the gun owners since there more of us. Especially since we can plan this with the Starbucks manager.

Not that i'm an expert on OCing or Starbucks policy. When I was first introduced to OCing I had the same "there's safety in numbers" attitude because of the fear of harassment by LEOs. I believe it was Rich who told me to go at it on my own BUT first arm myself with knowledge and a good voice recorder.

And I honestly haven't had any problems what so ever, and I spend a lot of time in New Haven. I even had a firearms convo with a very nice new Haven policeman once while OCing.

There's a lot of GOOD guys here who have a lot of knowledge and info on OCing.

Rich B

For people not informed of their position:

Starbucks Position on Open Carry Gun Laws
(updated March 16, 2010)

We recognize that there is significant and genuine passion surrounding the issue of open carry weapons laws. Advocacy groups from both sides of this issue have chosen to use Starbucks as a way to draw attention to their positions.

While we deeply respect the views of all our customers, Starbucks long-standing approach to this issue remains unchanged. We comply with local laws and statutes in all the communities we serve. That means we abide by the laws that permit open carry in 43 U.S. states. Where these laws don’t exist, openly carrying weapons in our stores is prohibited. The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores.

At the same time, we have a security protocol for any threatening situation that might occur in our stores. Partners are trained to call law enforcement as situations arise. We will continuously review our procedures to ensure the highest safety guidelines are in place and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement.

We have examined this issue through the lens of partner (employee) and customer safety. Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position.

As the public debate continues, we are asking all interested parties to refrain from putting Starbucks or our partners into the middle of this divisive issue. As a company, we are extremely sensitive to the issue of gun violence in our society. Our Starbucks family knows all too well the dangers that exist when guns are used irresponsibly and illegally. Without minimizing this unfortunate reality, we believe that supporting local laws is the right way for us to ensure a safe environment for both partners and customers.

cteaglesfan

The funny thing is, all I heard was Starbucks follows whatever the local law permits. I think that got embellished a little bit. I'm a D&D man myself and I never had a problem there while getting takeout or sitting to enjoy my beverage

Rich B

The funny thing is, all I heard was Starbucks follows whatever the local law permits. I think that got embellished a little bit. I'm a D&D man myself and I never had a problem there while getting takeout or sitting to enjoy my beverage

99.9% of places won't be a problem. Until you decide to throw a rally there without their knowledge or permission.

cteaglesfan

If I was a business owner I wouldn't be too happy about that either.

The only issue I seem to have is with other permit holder trying to tell me that OCing is not legal.

About a month ago I was getting wings on Dixwell ave. in New Haven and the manager who was a permit holder told me I had to 'cover up'. I flat out told him that he could ask me to leave but he could not ask me to 'cover up' if the law says that I don't have to.

Rich B

If I was a business owner I wouldn't be too happy about that either.

Getting a coffee and meeting some people is another matter though...

The only issue I seem to have is with other permit holder trying to tell me that OCing is not legal.

About a month ago I was getting wings on Dixwell ave. in New Haven and the manager who was a permit holder told me I had to 'cover up'. I flat out told him that he could ask me to leave but he could not ask me to 'cover up' if the law says that I don't have to.

Tell me about it...

http://withregardstorights.com/post/2010/05/16/Arrest-for-Disorderly-Conduct-in-Wallingford.aspx

Sometimes 'we' are our own worst enemies.

cteaglesfan

cteaglesfan

Criminal charges were dismissed immediately in court.

Federal 1983 suit is ongoing.

Good for you Rich!!!

"making people uncomfortable'??? You can fart in public and do the same thing!!!!!

Those written statements are masterpieces!!!